“Nice hotel and waterfall shower” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
Nashville, TN
“Nice hotel and waterfall shower”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights last week. The room was large and had a king bed and a queen bed. Both beds were very low, but I thought very comfortable. Just a change after staying at Peace Lodge where we needed step stools to get up into the bed :)

There was a small closet by front door, with shelves to use for additional items. Our unit (#306) had a covered porch facing Arenal. We could see part of Arenal from the porch. There is a <barely> one person jacuzzi tub on the porch and two rocking chairs.

The bathroom is the wow factor at this hotel! It's HUGE, with a waterfall shower and another shower with 4 adjustable heads, plus an overhead shower and also a handheld showerhead. This shower had a half wall and half door. The sink was raised and had a glass countertop. The mirror is tilted, which is kind of nice. There is a commode with a door for privacy. Be warned though: if you use the waterfall shower, be sure you have left nothing on the floor (clothes, shoes, towels) as they will be soaked. This is a true waterfall :)

Each "bungalow" feels as if you are in your own building. Doors to the other units are on another side of the building so you feel as if you have no neighbors. The units are a trek from the office, and your luggage must be brought to your room via golf cart. The paths from the office, the restaurant and the pool are uphill, but the paved walkways are in good shape. At night, they are dimly lit by stakes in the ground and it give a rather romantic feel to your walk.

The restaurant is open air and very classy feeling. It's rather expensive, but the shrimp and the soup that we had were very good. The breakfasts served here are buffet, which included an omelet station. We thought the breakfasts were good, and we got to try some foods we have never had before.

The wait staff and the pool bar staff were great! Very friendly and loved to talk if you asked questions.

There is a "swim up" bar, but it's really a walk up bar in the pool. The water is super warm. If you want a drink at the bar and don't want to go into the pool, one half of the bar is outside the pool. Pretty neat.

There is ONE other restaurant within walking distance and it was very good with a totally awesome view. The staff graciously gave us a ride to that restaurant in the golf cart and came back and picked us up. The restaurant even allowed us to add the meal to our tab at the hotel.

The hotel also offered shuttle service into Fortuna at 10:20 am, 1:00 pm, 2:20 pm and 4:20 pm with pick ups to return at 11:30 am, 1:30 pm, 3:15 pm, and 5:30 pm. Not real good for dinner times unless you eat real early. We took cabs back at $10.00 one way.

One thing I really missed having here was a refrigerator. Ice is way down the hill at the restaurant and when we asked for ice, we got a small little bucket full. Didn't work well for keeping our beer or water cold and with that big porch and rockers, it would have been nice to be able to enjoy cold drinks out there.

All-in-all, we had a very nice stay here.

Room Tip: Room #306 had a partial view of Arenal from the porch. It's also up the hill so a further walk...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

873 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Our room had an indoor waterfall shower! (There is a regular shower also).

We were able to book this hotel at a moderate price. Given the complimentary parking, complimentary breakfast, security, well maintained and gorgeous property, and mini-hot springs we felt it was very worthwhile. This hotel served as an excellent base of operations to see Arenal, LaFortuna, Tabacon, and the rainforest over four days.

A special complimentary note for the staff. They were always very friendly, sociable, and kind but never seemed to impose or be bothersome. They were often able to anticipate our wants/needs (tables looking at Arenal, almost instant service to fix a minor maintenance issue) Other hotels could learn something.

A few notes: the jacuzzi tub and the shower (at least in our room) had the hot water on opposite handles and we didn't figure this out until late in our stay because the jacuzzi hot water has to be left to run for a time.

The breakfast was very good, especially because it was included, but we thought the restaurant was over priced with mediocre food in the evening. The bar options were 'hotel priced'. There are other superior restaurants nearby at a better price. There is a grocery store in LaFortuna that sells wine and beer.

If you are not renting a car you will be severely restricted in your options for getting around particularly for dinners. The hotel does offer a shuttle tp La Fortuna but you are on their schedule. The hotel will sell you excursions. This is probably true of most Arenal resorts.

The roads between LaFortuna and Tabacon are well maintained and on par with what you might find in the US or Canada. The roads between Tabacon and Liberia airport varied. At times they were awful. I recommend doing the drive during daylight hours. That being said we managed to do the drive in the night in a rain storm and we survived.

Arenal is in a dormant phase. We did not see an erruption. Despite this, our three nights gave us the time to drive there, see the big hot springs, the rain forest, and drive back.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a superior room for $10/night. It was worthwhile.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

A beautiful property, with an unbelievable view of the volcano!
The bungalow was set In a lush tropical setting, with a fantastic private porch and jacuzzi tub.
The staff was super friendly and extremely polite. I can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

First I have to say that my entire experience may have been different if my room included a fridge. If you get a junior suite you don't get a fridge or minibar. I guess in the larger room you get a kitchenette with a fridge.

My wife and stayed here while on our honeymoon in Costa Rica. It was our least favorite hotel. Mostly because of the rooms.

At first when you walk in, the rooms are impressive. Spacious, even if the decor is tacky, and the bathroom looks amazing, who wouldn't want a waterfall shower? But as soon as you settle in you realize there is a lot left to be desired. The shower is uncomfortable and impractical (the water will soak the entire bathroom if you are not careful). The counter around the sink is too small to use, and there is no where else to put toiletries. The lighting is horrible, and the little bit of lighting you get is absorbed by the awful yellow walls. There are no drawers in the room to unpack into. There is a small closet near the front door, but no where near big enough for two peoples clothes.

And by far the biggest turn off, no fridge! I couldn't believe it. There is a big LCD tv that I never used, but no fridge. My wife and I knew we were going to be here for a few days and that it is a little more secluded (the town is an hour and a half walk away, 12 minutes by taxi) and with only the hotel restaraunt and wet bar to eat/drink at, we bought some food, drinks and alcohol before arriving thinking there would be a fridge to store them in. It is 29 degrees outside and humid. Everything is wet and hot. It is ridiculous to not give your guests somewhere to cool their water at least. I guess if you get the larger room you are set. But not in the junior suite.

The only way to cool down your water, juice or alcohol is ask for ice from the restaurant twice a day. And in this temperature it melts in less than an hour. An inconvenience for the guests and the staff.

To be honest, for the price even if we had a fridge this place is subpar. It's pretty and has a view (not from our room, but from the property) but everything in this area has a view, and there are a lot of hotels around here. This one is about the furthest away from la Fortuna of any nearby hotels.

The friendliness of the staff is ok. Not the best in Costa Rica, but good compared to Mexico. The restaraunt is overpriced, and the food is not great. The wet bar is the place to eat and drink here. But drinks are still $8-10 US.

It seems like this place cares more about money and less about providing a good experience.

As far as the mold comments below, I didn't see any. The rooms are very damp and you have to run the AC all the time to keep it down, but I would say that has more to do with the climate.

The jacuzzi on the patio is cool, but you have to clean out the bugs first. It is the jungle after all.

Would never stay here again and considered leaving half way through.

• Stayed May 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Our time in La Fortuna was a tale of 2 halves. I'll start by focusing on specifically the hotel and then I'll give some general information about our time in La Fortuna. We were pleased upon first arriving at Hotel Mountain Paradise. The view of the volcano from the back patio was breathtaking but it should be said that almost any hotel in La Fortuna will offer these views. The landscaping of the hotel is very nice and each room has the feel of a private villa even though your room is adjacent to 1 other room. The rooms are large and the bathroom was very unique with the waterfall shower. When we used this shower though, we quickly found that the bathroom floor becomes soaked as water splashes everywhere. Secondly, there were no fans in the room which was a disappointment since we were in a very humid country (I know this is a petty complaint but if you are used to a fan when you sleep then be prepared to wake up hot). My only major complaint was that there was a significant space between the bottoms of the doors and the floor, so we had lizards, frogs, major ants, and the biggest spider I've ever seen in our room. I know we were in the rainforest and this should probably be expected, but I think a nice resort should try to keep the insects and animals in the rainforest instead of the rooms. Again, we were only there for 2 nights so we may not be the best judges of the rooms. The pool was nothing special as it is very small and shallow. Lastly, the breakfasts were great at the resort. We did not try the same restaurant for dinner but we did eat at the one that is right outside of the resort. We loved this restaurant and thought it was the perfect dinner to end our vacation.
Ok, now for La Fortuna in general. Let me start by saying that YOU HAVE TO DO SKYTREK ZIPLINING. I am afraid of heights but this was one of the best experiences of my life. I would return to La Fortuna just to do this again! In contrast, I would NOT recommend the Baldi Springs dinner and hot springs. We only had 1 bad dinner in Costa Rica and this was it! The springs has a cheap amusement park pool feel to it and it is way overcrowded. There is nothing romantic or relaxing about it at all. Also, the water slides there are very unsafe. They are the fastest water slides I have ever been on and they are made of concrete! One of the tubes was so fast that it sent me airborne inside of the tube and I came down and busted my head open and suffered a concussion. There were people there that said the same thing happened to them. So, please save your time and money and find a better hot springs. I hope this helps someone as they make their plans to visit the beautiful and amazing country of Costa Rica.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We really loved the Mountain Paradise Hotel. I read several reviews before leaving and some made me nervous. This is the thing, you are in the jungle so you will see bugs, bats, birds and amazing animals. If this is not your style I suggest you travel elsewhere. Costa Rica is all about exploring. The Mountain Paradise is no flares, but it does have comfortable rooms with GREAT views. The staff is wonderful and the pool bar was fun. We did pay for day trips to the springs resort and loved it. We made one mistake and that was not renting a car. Arenal is a very lazy town that is spread out. I would have liked to explore more. There is a shuttle but the times are terrible so you pay about 15 every time you go in and out. The only suggestion I have for the hotel is to offer more shuttle times.

Room Tip: Close to the pool/restaurant.
Conroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This hotel was wonderful. The service was great, the hot pool was great, the mini pool in front of our room with the view of the volcano was great. The grounds are so peaceful and lush with flowers and birds, it was so relaxing and wonderful to be here!

Room Tip: We stayed in 202. We got upgraded from a middle of the road room to a suite with a kitchen and a pri...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!