“Beautiful resort and friendly staffs.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
california
“Beautiful resort and friendly staffs.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The moment we stepped in the reception area, the staff immediately points out the breathe taking Arenal through the gigantic window, I was in awe and no longer tired and sleepy from my long car ride after a red eye flight. It was a great start to our vacation.
Our Room was 202. It is a master suite with private pool, oh, and with unobstructed grand view of Arenal. The two huge sliding doors to two bedrooms serve as the entrance. Our room stands individually while I believe the one bedroom units share a building. All buildings are surrounded by tropical flower plants to provide ample amount of privacy. We left the sliding doors open all day long to take in the view, only to close it at night while sleeping. Resort seems extremely safe. We have walked away with open doors and itouches and ipad laying around and everything was okay. Rained quite a lot during our stay so we made a full use of the heated main pool since our private small pool is cold. The shuttle to the town is quite convenient, except it stops service at 5ish, so coming back to the hotel after dinner is on your own. Plenty of taxi though. Free breakfast is decent. We do notice that the pastries tend to run out if you don't go early. It doesn't look like they refill them. Fresh juice and fruits are my kids' favorite, no idea How the pineapples could be so sweet and delicious in costa rica, we can't get enough of it. Maid service is daily and efficient, they make some cute animals out of towels that my kids can't get enough of. Maintenance is awesome. My son clogged up the toilet one day with too much toilet paper and maintenance showed up in two minutes. Startled me since I wasn't expecting him so soon. And speaking of, do not throw toilet paper in the toilets, this goes with general plumbing in costa rica and not just this resort.
In conclusion, I would definitely return to this resort and recommend it to everyone I know. Let me just say that I initially thought all resorts look like mountain paradise, after going through several including Los Lagos hot spring resort, I realized that Mountain Paradise tops it all, only there makes me feel like I'm staying in a botanica garden from the moment I open my eyes to the moment I go to bed. It was truly a sad day leaving the resort. How I miss that view!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

just got back from CR, stayed at this hotel with my kids, the room are large and comfortable but no refrigirator!! bathroom are large and basic but the floors are very slipery.
now to the restaurant, breakfast : the food is of poor quality example: no butter just margarine. Dinner is very expansive the 5 stars hotels in the area are cheaper and better quality ( we ended eating at local restaurants and hotels in the area). The pool is very small and the bar service is slow and with attitude. the staff at this hotel is ok.
you can find a better hotel in the area for your money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Do not listen to negative reviews, some people will find fault in the smallest details! This place is an overall greta hotel! We stayed here at the end of June and are ready to book our trip here for next year! The view alone makes this hotel stand out from the others. You can see the volcano from all the rooms and the pool. Our room was always clean and we had no problems. We especially loved the showers! We did many activites and it was great to come back to the hotel and relax in the pool. Carlos made the best drinks! The lunch menu was cheap and we the food was above average. We did not eat dinner at the hotel but ventured into town each night. The staff was friendly at all times so I am not sure where the other reviewers saw but they helped out whenever we had a question. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation at a hotel that has great rooms, food, drinks and views, and do not let the small stuff bother you this is the place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Yonkers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We were a group of 21 and we were treated awsome. On one of the nights, for dinner they prepared a table to accomodate all of us. We were so impressed. The staff treated us great. Andres went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable, even joking with us. The morning that only part of the group was going on the zip line, which I think were about 15, Diego along with the rest of the staff also started breakfast a bit earlier to make sure they ate and were out on time for the buses.
The scenery with all the beautiful tropical plants and birds (especially the humming birds) was spectacular.

Room Tip: We had room 309. When you go on the porch you get a scenic view of the volcano, humming birds and be...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Love this place and its beatiful surrounding.
Lacking a few details in design, concept and service.
The staff there doesn't seem to be happy, unfortunately.
The only person that were warm and happy was our driver, Manuel who picked us up at the local airport and a couple of front desk persons in our second day of stay.
The food at the restaurant is so so and expensive. Breakfast is excellent tho.
The staff and service can certainly to be improved.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
salem, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

while this is a hotel that is hidden away and not easyt to get to, it was just what my husband and i were looking for on our honeymoon. it was small with ownderful service and the greatest spa! we did coffee wraps, mud wraps, massages- it was so worth it. the shuttle to downtown la fortuna was accessible, but not commericalized and we loved the view of the volcano. also, the waterfall shower in our room, along with the jacuzzi tub on the porch was spectacular! the staff was great and the breakfast was amazing, espeically the frash fruit and the plaintains. if Roy is still working there- thanks for all of your help man! it was a pleasure staying at the hotel and hopefully someday we will be back! cheers.

Room Tip: we used the travel service costa rican vacations and talked to joan borelli she hooked us up
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Redwood City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

This hotel is gorgeous, but certain details left a bit to be desired. The food is just ok, would not recommend eating here if you can avoid it, especially when there is pretty decent food in La Fortuna. The rooms are all 2x2, so you can kind of here the people next to you. Overall, if you can find a better place at or cheaper than this place, I'd probably recommend passing.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!