“A GREAT Deal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sueno Dorado

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sueno Dorado to your Saves list
Hotel Sueno Dorado
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 km noroeste del Centro de la Fortuna | El Castillo de La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sueno Dorado Hotel)   |
Los Angeles
“A GREAT Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed here for a night due to a great package deal that they were offering at the time. Rooms very clean, not much to them, but very nice. The Staff were SUPERB!. Only gripe, when we checked in, we were the only people in the place. Later that afternoon, 3 people checked in, and they put them in the room right next to ours. Of all the 10 or 11 rooms that are in this place, they had to be right next to us?!? Personally, I thought that was in poor form, especially as they were loud and obnoxious (in my opinion).
That being said, we still enjoyed our stay, mainly due to their Staff and the restaurant Benedictu's, which is joined to this motel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011 via mobile

Beautiful rooms, great hot water, view totally incredible. We negotiated breakfast with room and we were glad we did. Like living in a beautiful garden with a nice pool. Wi fi router could use a more powerful one . Very friendly staff I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011
Bryan, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

I loved the Sueno Dorado! The staff were super friendly, and helpful. The attached restaurant, Benedictu's Steakhouse was fantastic, with an awesome staff, and great food! My room was very clean. The location has an AMAZING view of the Arenal Volcano. I woke up every morning, and Arenal was just outside my door. Walking distance to the amazing Baldi Hot Springs. For the price, this place is fantastic.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We arrived unannounced quite late in evening and manager Alejandro set us up immediately with two very nice rooms. Clean, quiet, comfortable nothing fancy. He got us tickets for the zip lines at a very good price and gave us advice on where to eat and go. Good breakfast. No mildew smell at all even though in a rain forest and raining heavily while we were there. Highly recommended. Not lux but great value for money and very nice staff. Nice pool and small grounds. Easy to find.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Went with my wife and 6 year old to Arenal without a reservation and found this charming little motel (jut don't call it a motel in Costa Rica as the word has a sexual connotation here). We spent $65 per night for the 3 of us with a delicious breakfast included. The hotel only has 11 rooms and you park in front of them. The gardens are beautiful, the pool spotless and there is a great view of the volcano. The rooms are basic but very clean. Don't expect the luxury of a 4 star hotel or all inclusive but neither expect the crowds, noise that come with them. The Sueno Dorado is a family run hotel (which live on property) and they are very friendly. Only recomendation would be to update the beds, drapes and lighting in the room (the included lamp was very dim). Maybe the TV but not critical. Room has a/c and fridge. You could find better values in La Fortuna but not in this prime location (between Baldi Springs and Tabacon Springs). Very happy I stayed here! Also try Bet-El restaurant 2 min down the road to La Fortuna, great tico food at tico prices!

Soy tico y este hotel es apto para familias en busca de un lugar tranquilo y sin el servicio odioso que generalmente se encuentran en los hoteles grandes. Tiene una muy bonita piscina y jardines muy bonitos. 100% recomendado! Cerca de todo, tambien les recomiendo restaurante Bet - El como a 2 min en carro del hotel hacia La Fortuna , riquisimo y muy buenos precios.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
santa barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

NO IDEA WHAT THE LADY TALKING ABOUT MILDEW SMELLS IS REFERRING TO.

Our room smelled of nothing bad. The personal attention you get when staying here makes it a great value. Alejandro the concierge would bend over backwards for you. It being a small motel, there is a feeling of privacy. The breakfast is always delicious. The view of the volcano is perfect! Any activity you would wish to partake in can be arranged from the hotel, as well. We had a great time in arenal and feel a big part of that was our stay here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hartland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I am shocked to read such great reviews of this motel. I have very little positive things to say other than the friendly family staff and view of Arenal Volcano which was clouded over most days. When we arrived, I was shocked to see the size of the place. There are only 11 rooms all lined up in a row motel style. This is in no way a hotel. The rooms are as basic as they come. Our first room had two double beds, a tiny TV, and a bathroom. No clock, fridge, or basic bathroom supplies other than soap. The first think I noticed was the awful mildew smell. It literally knocked me off my feet. It was the strongest most pungent odor I’ve ever smelled. The bedspread and curtains attributed to the smell. I opened windows and sprayed Febreeze everywhere. The windows do not have screens so not only was it unsafe but critters could get in at night which meant no fresh air to take away the odor. The room itself was fairly clean however. The hot water in the bathroom was broken and we only had hot water for about 2 minutes at a time. There is a breaker switch that kept shutting off so my husband had to stand next to it and flip it back on every two minutes as I showered. No one told us about the switch (I thought it was for the electrical outlets!) so the first night my husband took a cold shower since the switch was in the off position. By the third night, we switched to room 1 which had a bigger TV, fridge, and a shower that worked. Unfortunately the strong odor was still there and I had to start all over attempting to remove the odor. I know a lot of rooms will carry a slight over but this was way over the top. It made my stomach upset.
As for the beds, they were very hard which wasn’t that big of a deal but the pillows were very unusual. It’s hard to explain but picture a foam filled pillow where the foam is all shredded inside. It was lumpy all over the place. I can’t imagine it was purchased this way. I didn’t even know pillows could deteriorate like this. It was the most unusual pillow I’ve ever felt.
Now onto the location. When booking the room, I was told it was within walking distance to La Fortuna town. Although this is true, it is quite a distance and there are no sidewalks making for a very dangerous walk. Cab ride to town was $10 and back was around $6. It is way better (and cheaper) to stay right in town. I know it was high season but we paid $85 a night when we could have paid around $60 right in town. I know because we priced it out hoping we could switch but the hotel would only give us half our money back. We stayed 5 nights so they could have at least refunded 2 or 3 of our nights.
Breakfast is included but it was pretty awful. You get four choices. The toast is really old and hard as a rock. The pancakes were the only good choice but I can’t eat those 4 days in a row! I really felt trapped at this hotel especially at night when there is nothing to do around there and you need a taxi to get anywhere. The worst part by far was the odor. It will take your breath away the minute you open the door.
If you choose a place based on the pool, go somewhere else. It is very tiny but we didn’t care since it rained nearly everyday.
I was very displeased with this motel and am shocked by the other reviews.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — mildew odor and location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Sueno Dorado? Share your experiences!