The grounds are exceptional, well kept, if layed out a bit like a smart suburban housing estate. If you can cope with indifferent food, poor service, and having your fellow diners at dinner sporting shorts,trainers, tattoos, and even a baseball cap this might be the place for you. The pools and
Hot spring are nice and at the bar there they have a Happy Hour with certain drinks/cocktails on a two for one deal. One was Gordon's Gin and Tonic and another gin based drink billed as being Gordon's, but the Gin used was an inferior local one some 25% less strong. The barman said they didn't do Gordon's but it was written large on the menu. O ne felt duped.
The restaurant albeit with a view to the volcano is uncomfortable and characterless. Breakfast is unexciting and the worst experienced in Costa Rica. Service is very poor, the napkins are polyester, and perhaps matches the expectations of the clientele. One lunchtime when the restaurant was not busy we had to ask to be provided with a menu and were then only offered one copy so could not select simultaneously; we had to ask for napkins, salt and pepper, and when we ordered two beers the bottles and two glass tankards were just clunked on the table with no suggestion they might be poured. I asked if my wife might have a glass for she would prefer not to be drinking from a thick tankard.
The rooms are large with two standard size double beds, mostly as semi-detached bungalows. There is no chair and insufficient hooks to hang things and storage for clothes is only just adequate. The light levels are poor making it not east to read in bed, and the switches not easily accessible without getting out of bed.
The large bathroom has a shower at one end with a large leafed plant dividing. While the room itself was kept well clean this plant was filthy it,s great leaves deep in dust in which one could write names. Sound transmission between the neighbouring bathrooms was better than I would have wished, not wishing to hear the passionate activities of our neighbours or their TV. It was good that the rooms have free wi-fi connection albeit not very fast.
This is a tourist hotel , in pleasing grounds with good views let down by it's restaurant and staff who seem untrained with no concept of how to provide service.. Perhaps it was worse because we had just come from Villa Blanca nr San Ramon which was exceptional in terms of both food, surroundings and service.
I would not recommend this hotel to my friends although clearly it suits some people very well. Each to his own.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Manoa Hotel And Spa
- Arenal Manoa Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Manoa Hotel
- Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Manoa Hotel is a beautiful Arenal hotel to relax and enjoy the marvelous view of Arenal volcano in Costa Rica. Surrounded by gardens, pastures and animals, our rooms have been designed so that each one offers you a panoramic view of the Arenal volcano. Our visitors can take advantage of our spacious gardens for walking and meditation as well as the opportunities to see the daily operations of a typical Costa Rican farm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, HostelBookers and Venere so you can book your Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.