“Relaxation at it's Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Head northwest on Route 142, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 21007, Costa Rica   |
Buffalo, Minnesota
“Relaxation at it's Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent 2 nights here while on a tour of Costa Rica. Each room has it's own little porch and each room looks at the majestic Arenal Volcano. The grounds as stunning and I would recommend taking the time to walk around and see all the different flora. There are 3 pools and a fabulous Spa, which we, unfortunately did not have the time to take advantage of. The rooms are extremely clean and the bathrooms amazing, with a huge walk in shower which also includes real plants!
The restaurant sits among lush green foliage and serves very good food. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Our room was directly off one of the paths leading to the restaurant. If I were to chose again I wou...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

899 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
columbia, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just finished our stay here and thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband and I came for a belated anniversary trip. I'm super picky when it comes to clean and these rooms were! We went on a canoe safari (day trip) that was awesome! We also went on an ATV excursion. I recommend to skip that and save some money. Hiking to Fortuna falls and Celeste falls was work but so worth it! Feb. is the perfect time or year to visit. The climate is mild, beginning of the dry season. Not too hot and not too cold.... Just right!
Here's a list of my pros and cons.

Pros: cleanliness, room comfort, (even though pretty basic) promptness to requests, views, hot springs, pools and gorgeous property, proximity to area landmarks and attractions (even though we had a car) the hotel staff and locals. Eco-conscience, with recycle bins outside each room door. And the coffee, Costa Rican coffee! ( I swear it tastes like there's chocolate in it!) I also loved sitting at at breakfast watching the variety of beautiful birds. Breakfast was inclusive for us and was good. There were some variations to it to keep it interesting.

Cons: at check in we were given a list of do's and don'ts (mostly pertaining to the use of towels). What I absolutely thought was absurd and did not like was the paper I had to sign stating if I left any body fluids on the bed I would be charged! WHAT????? I'm sure they've seen it all but I found it to be a bit insulting and not very welcoming at all!

Layton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel. The grounds are absolutely breathtaking!! Perfect Views of the Volcano from our room. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The bathrooms are large and fun with a little garden in them. The lighting and beds were great. We were very close to the cold pool and the restaurant. The breakfast at the restaurant was good. We loved the juices and rice and beans. We ate at the restaurant for dinner on valentines day and were extremely disappointed. The service was very slow and the food was so so if not just terrible. The food is very expensive here too. We paid forty dollars for some chicken , salad and soup. I would not recommend going here at all to eat, expect breakfast. We also had one other problem. We brought our 9 month baby boy to Costa Rica with us and a baby sitter. I had specially talked to the hotel months before about a late check out. I had double and tripled check with them about check out time before coming to make sure my baby and the babysitter would be able to stay at the hotel later while we did a tour. I talk to two of the hotel representatives the day we arrive and the day of the late checkout to confirm we had a late check out. They had said 2:00 would be work. We left our baby and the sitter while we went on a tour. We came back to find out that the hotel staff had locked my 9 month old baby and the sitter outside in the sun for over an hour and a half claiming we did not have late check out . I was furious. When we went to check out the staff said we had to pay for the room we had late check out in. I told them we had late check out and they locked my child out of the room in the sun and were not even in the rooms. Very poor service! I think they should have paid me for leaving a child outside for that long.

Room Tip: We were in room 232 and 233. Stay there, great view of the volcano and close to the pool and restaur...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our favorite hotel in Costa Rica! The grounds are beautiful, with good bird sightings by the lagoon and creek. Large rooms, lovely bathrooms, and small patios with rocking chairs (I did wish for padding on the chairs, though). The breakfasts were substantial and the food selection was good. We did not eat dinner here, but happy hour drinks are half price, down from the already reasonable prices!
The volcano is no longer active, but that hardly matters when the living is so easy, and Tabacon Hot Springs are so close!

Room Tip: The higher the number of your room the higher on the hill the room is. The higher rooms have more p...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel is wonderfully luxurious especially after staying in Tortuguero National Park ( which by the way is a MUST). Individual bungalows with two queen sized beds, spacious shower room and all mod cons. Very warm welcome by friendly staff. Nothing is too much trouble. Cocktails in the thermal spa waters was a treat. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms have volcano views but pick your time as it can only be seen 70 days per year.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lovely bungalows distributed around a truly beautiful property. We had a great view of Arenal Volcano from our secluded, private patio. It was a wonderful place to start and end each day of our time there. Breakfast was excellent and the facilities, like the pool were excellent. The only down side were very compliant staff who was good at saying, "we will send someone," and no one arrives - I broke a glass on our patio and called to get a broom to clean it up. Twice I was told they would take care of it, and the third time (after a personal visit to the front desk), it was cleaned up.

Bloomington, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in February. The view of the volcano was beautiful, rooms were clean, and the grounds were beautiful. The restaurant was pretty good, not great, but the staff at the restaurant were amazing. I would definitely go to this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!