“Relaxing and beautiful spot!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kokoro Arenal

You added Hotel Kokoro Arenal to your Saves list
Hotel Kokoro Arenal
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   La Palma | 7km After the Church on the Right Hand Side, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 4000, Costa Rica   |
Affiliate website
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington, DC
“Relaxing and beautiful spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I came here on my own and stayed in an Eco lodge by reception with a beautiful view. The hotel is tucked into the natural surrounding and well-maintained. It was rainy season, so very few other guests were around. Breakfast was very good; if recommend trying the typical Costa Rican breakfast -- the kitchen staff clearly has a better hand in cooking it up than the non-traditional, but all dishes were tasty. The reception staff was extremely courteous and helpful as I tried to figure out dinner. That is the one downfall of this place: without a car, you either have to taxi into town or order delivery, which comes out quite pricey. That said, there is no comparison between this hotel and the dodgey ones in La Fortuna.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed here at the end of May (3 days). This is a great little hotel in between La Fortuna and the volcano/hot spring activities. Having a car is a plus but not a necessity, many of the local restaurants will deliver to the hotel if you prefer to stay in. Highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HOTELKokoro, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kokoro Arenal, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Tico-N-Aims ,

Thank you so much for your lovely words for our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! We hope we can welcome you to stay with Kokoro again in the very near future.

Hotel Kokoro
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

This is a very pretty hotel in a stunning part of the world. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from staying, but be careful when booking on line that you are buying what you expect.

I booked two rooms this hotel for my family through Trip Advisor taking advantage of their 3 nights for the price of 2 offer, which is why we chose it over a number of other good options. I had travelled with my family 6 hours by bus and taxi from Nicaragua so we were pretty tired when we arrived. When we checked in the staff tried to tell us that the offer that they heavily market doesn't apply unless you email or ring them when you make the booking, despite the advert saying clearly that you should tell them when you check in. It took 15 minutes of depressing argument before the staff agreed to honour the deal. I don't think its a scam, I think it is that the staff have been told something different to the advert.

We were also disappointed to discover that at this time of the year the restaurant was only open for breakfast, so you either needed to travel into La Fortuna, $10 each way in a taxi, to eat or have take-away delivered. This also wasn't apparent on the website.

However, the location was fabulous, the pool great, the rooms clean and the sense of being in a rain forest, especially when the heavens open, is pretty special.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear MJS_UK_1 ,

I would like to begin my reply by thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. We especially appreciate your kind words on our lovely garden, room and pool.

On the other hand, we are regretful to know that you have disappointing check in experience. We would certainly like to take the opportunity to gain a better understanding of what has shaped your perception. Our receptionists were aware of your weary after a long trip from Nicaragua to Kokoro. They all trained to make you satisfied with you entire stay, unfortunately which we did not meet your expectation (of course, ours as well ). As we know, you found us on TripAdvisor and searched for the best price on Booking.com. Please allow me to mention these two websites it works totally different system. TripAdvisor only shows the price of each available online booking agency. Indeed, the way how we present the redeem means had confused you and we really appreciate your constructive review to make it more clear to our future guests. Additionally, we hope you could understand that the confirmation on the Booking.com is considered as a contract between you and our hotel. We need you take a look of the total cost of your stay before reserving the room. Since it is the deal between you, Booking.com and Kokoro. We are more than happy to assist and answer your question regarding your reservation before your arrival.

Once again, please accept our sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused. We hope we have opportunity to welcome you and your family stay with Kokoro again in the future.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I am a teacher that works at a school where we take about 70 people to Costa Rica every May for our 8th grade trip. We just returned from our annual trip. We always stay at Hotel Kokoro and LOVE it.

The rooms are nicely sized and the decorations are so nice. From the paintings to the wood that's used decoratively in the bathrooms and on the ceilings, each room is unique and cozy. I will also add that the shower I had in my room this year was great - it had better water pressure than my apartment in Brooklyn.

Each room has a little patio/deck with chairs and I found them to be nice spots to sit in the morning. Each morning I also woke up early to read in the lobby. I love it! It's so peaceful and the views are beautiful. I love how much you are surrounded by nature when at Kokoro. You can see awesome birds: hummingbirds, toucans, etc.

I saw a few complaints here about the restaurant... Granted, we only ate there for breakfast but I loved it every single morning. Very Costa Rican :)

I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to experience a beautiful place that allows you to really connect with the nature that makes Costa Rica so beautiful. It's not luxury but who cares? Creation is so beautiful it doesn't need to be messed with.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ichamomdad, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Kokoro Arenal, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear KateElizab B,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed our Eco Villa, lovely garden and breakfast. Our maintenance and public space crew currently work hard to ensure our property remains nicely and naturally. We welcome the guests like you who are in love with nature, peace and simplicity of Costa Rica.

Once again, we appreciate your kind words and hope we can welcome you and your students to immerse in the scenery and tranquility in Hotel Kokoro in next year as well.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The grounds and view of the volcano are stunning. The pool and hot spring were a delight. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was adequate, it would have been nice to have had the option of an evening meal, as the town is at least a 10 minute drive away, but as this option was not available we ordered take out meals that were delivered to us, a cheaper option than paying for taxi's into the local town. There was a night security guard who patrolled the grounds which was very reassuring.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ichamomdad, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Kokoro Arenal, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Susan P,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel Kokoro Arenal. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our beautiful grounds, volcano view, pool and hot spring. Thank you as well for your comments regarding evening meal, we are renewing our entire restaurant and menu now. This is going to be done by July.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to try our refresh restaurant.

Warm regards,

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We spent only two wonderful nights at Kokoro. I wish we could have stayed longer. What a fantastic, quiet and peaceful place. The grounds were incredible with some many tucked away outdoor spaces to relax and enjoy the beautiful grounds. Everything was immaculate, the rooms, the pool area and the grounds and gardens. We had a great night alone in the hot springs that I will alway remember. The staff was excellent. So helpful and personable. It was a joy to talk with them. I would highly recommend this hotel and hope I will be able to return there and stay longer. It was the beginning of our first trip to Costa Rica and was my favorite part.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ichamomdad, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kokoro Arenal, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Anna M,

On behalf of Arenal Kokoro, thank you for your comments regarding your last visit with us. We appreciate your kind compliments of the hotel and our staff. We are so happy to hear your first stop in Costa Rica was a success. We are also thrilled to learn that our hotel was a part of your favorite experience! We look forward to serving you again to stay longer in Hotel Kokoro Arenal in the not too distant future.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This hotel has a great location - a short drive from town, so it's quiet and slightly removed from the hustle and bustle. The rooms, while spartan, are large and clean. The bed was not the most comfortable (slightly stiff), but the a/c worked well. The grounds of the hotel were beautiful, with lots of flora and fauna, especially birds. The pool area was also nice, and the views of Arenal were pretty spectacular when it was clear. The free breakfast was very good - try the beans and rice!

If you're looking for something luxurious, this might not be the place for you, but if you're looking for a reasonably priced option near Arenal, it's hard to go wrong with Kokoro.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Aylin I,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we thank you for sharing your great review here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay; moreover, lovely grounds and volcano view from pool and have lived up to your expectations.
We hope we can have another opportunity to welcome you and have the tasty beans and rice again!

Kokoro Team

Been to Hotel Kokoro Arenal? Share your experiences!