“An excellent place to stay, with a real hot spring!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kokoro Arenal

Save Saved
You added Hotel Kokoro Arenal to your Saves list
Hotel Kokoro Arenal
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   La Palma | 7km After the Church on the Right Hand Side, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 4000, Costa Rica   |
Affiliate website
Poway, CA
“An excellent place to stay, with a real hot spring!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I'll start with the only criticism I can come up with: If you want to see the volcano from inside your room, ask about which room you'll have, as the extensive gardening can cover some rooms' external views. However, that one criticism leads to my first complement: The grounds here are wonderful! Lots of variety of fruit trees (banana, orange, star fruit, and even cocoa!) and tropical plants that are manicured to look both natural and clean at the same time. The staff is very helpful with accurate, useful recommendations. The rooms are clean, and the beds are great. The highlight are the hot spring pools. The water is NOT clear, but that's how it actually comes out of the ground. It's important to remember that if you stay here, you won't need to spend money going to another place's hot springs. The water's very hot, but the staff can mix in some cold spring water to get the temperature right. The water is turned on at 2:30 every day, since I assume the water supply may be limited from their well. The cabins' construction has a few gaps near the rooflines, but we never had a problem with mosquitoes coming in or the air conditioning getting out. Lastly, the staff as a passion for this place, and is expanding their lodging options to offer even more variety. A very satisfying stay!

Room Tip: Choose one of the newer rooms towards the north side of the property.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

427 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here booked by Eliot Greenspan of Costa Rica Custom Tours. We would never have found it in our own. Beautifully landscaped grounds with so many beautiful flowers, birds chirping every where, very nice Refreshing beautiful pool, and separate small but adequate hot springs on the premises . Our tour guides even found monkeys asleep in the trees at the entrance! Nice full Breakfast with fresh tropical fruits, eggs, American or Costa Rican style. Good coffee. Very peaceful. Very relaxing! I Fi in the lobby. Rooms very large and thankfully had AC to help cool and dry out the humidity. The only minus is its not close to town so you have to take a taxi to town.

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Kokoro has captured exactly the concept we was expecting for Costa Rica.

In thes hotel you get espectacular volcano view, great natural gardens, and the thermal place.

They was so kind people even when we are the only couple of spanish spoken visitors at that time we feel "like in home".

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I quickly glanced over the 1-star reviews and couldn't help but laugh. They couldn't be more inaccurate. Kokoro has been great. The staff are so friendly. They went out of there way to pick up appetizers/tapas from the city for us when a driver was making a city run. They packed us breakfast when we accidentally slept in and did not let our shuttle leave without us. They made calls to a local ATV place where I thought I ha misplaced a family gift (my Leatherman knife).

The only cons are for cleanliness because the tub was a little dingy, 8/10 cleanliness. I could still probably eat off of it. Also, the walls are paper thin which doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might bother some people.

This place will be recommended to all my friends. I almost forgot, they have various fruit trees on the property and we were picking lines and adding them to our drinks in the smaller/intimate hot springs they have here.

Doug Haigh & Kelly Haigh (newlyweds)

• Stayed June 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Both me and my friend enjoyed our stay at Kokoro, the hotel itself in a lovely quiet setting, hotel room is nice and comfy, breakfast is fantastic. Dinner is excellent!

Most of all, hotel staffs are very friendly and helpful, and very attentive.

I would recommend anyone who visit Arenal volcano area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The staff is amazing (hi Michael and Fernando). They act like it is not even work to help you - it is a pleasure. They were great about arranging taxis, tours and even helping us order dinner delivery. The open air reception/sitting area and dining areas are great. I generally don't like pools, but the setting here i so beautiful, full of flowers and birds (they put out fruit to attract them) that it is a pleasure just to sit there. The grounds are beautiful with many exotic flowers.

The breakfasts are very nice. Each room has its own little porch, we went during the rainy season, so i spent a couple of hours a day just sitting on our porch and watching birds and reading. We staying in 12, which is quiet and has a very big, tiled bathroom; i think it was a very good unit. Stay away from 4-7 (i think), which are by the reception area and get traffic noise when cars pull up. To get to the volcano was a $20 cab ride each way and $8-10 each way into La Fortuna, so that can add up, but all of the tours pick you up at the hotel.

Only negatives were: on the day i picked to sit by the pool and relax, they had a guy power washing the stone steps the whole day (this is necessary for safety, but it was annoying to have the noise the whole day). There is also sometimes grass cutting, etc, but that is going to be true anywhere and is necessary. The room itself was fairly plain, but comfy and functional. It had a fridge, was very clean. it was dark, but they brought an extra lamp when we asked.

All in all, i would definitely stay here again if we came back. I would actually give it a 4.7.

Irvine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've been to Costa Rica just two times and both times, we've stayed here. It's not pretentious like some other hotels. I like the "mom & pop" style hotels. You're in the middle of the jungle with birds, bugs and thunder sounds all around you. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings, large bathrooms and decent sized beds. It's perfect for couples, families and large groups. They have all the amenities you need. Although, they don't have a full time wait staff on site during low season, you can get food delivered to the hotel. The town is only a few minutes away. The natural hot spring is awesome too. Don't let the murky water fool you; it's all natural, straight from the volcano. I'm not sure if it's the magical minerals but you really do feel good afterwards. I passed out after each dip in the spring. :P

The massages were also wonderful. They're done outside in a gazebo. I've never had a massage out in the open before, but the sounds of nature actually helped me relax even more.

The staff were always friendly and willing to help. The complimentary breakfast is always good and plentiful. This is my spot. In fact, I love this place so much that I'm going to get married here. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kokoro Arenal? Share your experiences!