“Can get noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Regina Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Regina Hotel to your Saves list
Regina Hotel
150 meters west of the Catholic Church, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 4417-26, Costa Rica   |
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Can get noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The large room overlooked the volcano which was nice. The hotel lies directly along a very busy road so be prepared for a lot of noise by cars and trucks. We had to pay up front which I did not like but just had to. It was a pity there was no sitting area except for the couch in the reception. When we decided to shorten our stay it was a bit of a hassle to be refunded. First it was bacause of the credit card company and the it suddenly was because of the limited amount of cash available. We came to a solution but this is really the last time I pay for the whole stay up front.

• Stayed February 2013
Arenal A, Manager at Regina Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review.

Unlike some countries where you can swipe the card to make a refund, In Costa Rica is not possible; a letter must be submitted to the bank justifying/requesting the refund. This is about a 30 day process. If we return the $$ in cash, the hotel will lose 17.5% (hotel taxes/card commissions). That is why when possible, we prefer to return the $$ in services. We appreciate that we were able to provide you the transfer to Monteverde and rest in cash. We always try to find the best solution for our guests. I agree with you, in some circumstances it may be better to pay day by day if you are not sure of how many days you want to stay.

Being located on the main street enhances hotel security and access to La Fortuna's attractions is more convenient for people who have no car. But at times, traffic noise can be a distraction in some of the rooms, especially in day time. We appreciate if the costumers let us know to put them in a quiet room to make them comfortable and happy.

I wish I could do more for the lobby, but with the reception desk, couch, 2 sofa chairs, table and free guest computer, our space is pretty much maxed out. Thank you so much Regina Hotel manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel is a great little find on the edge of La Fortuna town. The location is perfect for walking around town, or doing tours. The room was very clean, and although the bar fridge was not working, they brought me a new one right away. Guedgit, the gal on the front desk for the 3 days I was there, could not have been more helpful. I was taking local buses and she even wrote notes in Spanish for me to give to the bus driver so he would let me off at the right spot. She really made my stay great. She seems to love helping people and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to La Fortuna.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

What a great hotel! Clean, affordable, spacious, comes with a safe, a fridge, patio, and great air con! The staff is so friendly and the hotel is in a great location, right on the main road of La Fortuna. You can literally walk down the road to a restaurant, shopping or for a coffee. This great hotel cost the same price as the nightmare of a hotel that I stayed at in Playa Grande. You can even book tours, get your laundry done and use their computer if you don't have one. The manager(I am assuming) is so nice and helpful. The only down side is that it is noisy from the traffic, but it is on the main road. Great job!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Room very clean, location is perfect, amazing price for the comfort! and the manager - Maria - she is very helpfull, she arange for you everythink - even if looks impossible:))) so thank you very much for your help!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hotel manager Rocio is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. She went extra miles to help us to arrange tours and plan the vacations. She even drove us in her own vehicle to catch time. Hotel is clean, location is excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gananoque, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the Regina Hotel in La Fortuna, based on previous tripadvisor reviews and I had booked back in the early fall. I spent 4 nights there from Jan 9 - 13. For me one of the biggest pluses was Rocio the hotel manager. This lady works long hours, is always cheerful and is a wealth of knowledge about La Fortuna and the area as well as all the available tours, etc.(which seem to be cheaper here than other places in town). The hotel although at one end of the main street was close to everything one needs, market, banks, restaurants, bus terminal, central park etc.
When I arrived I was given room 8 at the end of the upstairs hall with a panoramic view of Volcan Arenal. The room had two large beds and since I was travelling alone I had more than ample room. My room was equipped with small fridge that worked well, a sink, a table and two stools so it was possible to keep water and juice ice cold as well as an AC unit that was efficient and quiet.
The bed was extremely comfortable and the pillows were the perfect size for my liking. The biggest surprise were the very luxurious high thread count sheets!! The room as well as the bathroom was spotless, the tile floors got mopped every day, even the used glasses were replaced daily with clean ones.
My only complaint was that the WiFi did not reach my room, but 10 ft out in the hall I could get a connection. Rocio offered to give me a different room but my room had such a great view that I chose not to move and took my laptop down to the lobby and worked there instead. One thing that unlike others didn't seem to bother me was the noise, as it quieted down after 11:00 pm it did start up early in the morning, but this is not unusual for Central and South American countries.
The greatest bonus came when I woke up this morning and Arenal was completely cloudless...I quickly got out my camera and shot several images of a giant with small puffs of smoke coming from the cone...a priceless sight right from my room!!
I would highly recommend The Hotel Regina, La Fortuna!!

Room Tip: The room at the end of the hall has the best view of Arenal.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
wolf022, Owner at Regina Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review, we really appreciate all your comments they will help the hotel to be better every day,
We will do our best to make our guests have a pleasant stay.
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My daughter and I spent three nights at the Regina this January and were very pleased with property. Having the additional sink allowed us to wash a few shirts (you do sweat here), and the fridge came in very handy to store apples, beer, etc. VERY CLEAN, which is a priority with us.

Couple of suggestions: we had a room that faced the street, and it was pretty loud---quite a few Costa Rican cars/busses that are really loud, especially going uphill)---would try a room not facing the street next time. Also, if you do not have a car, this hotel is much more convenient than the nicer lodges outside of town. We really enjoyed being able to walk around town and try different snacks/meals whenever we wanted. Most of the lodges are not really within walking distance of town.

Although our other Costa Rica hotels were certainly nicer at 3-4 times the cost of the Regina, we both agreed that this was our "good find" hotel of the trip.

Room Tip: Would choose a room not facing the street, if on street bring earplugs!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
wolf022, Manager at Regina Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Hotel with the Tripadvisor community , all your comments will appreciate it and help us to give a better service every day.
Robert Wolf Manager.

Been to Regina Hotel? Share your experiences!