I agree with the other reviews that L&L is a special place thanks to the careful planning of Deb and Steve to create a tourism experience that engages with the local community. We stayed in the new Congo/Coco Cabins - beautiful in their simplicity and functionality. Rent both to have a secluded area.
1- Kid Friendly - We were traveling with our two kids ages 2 and 4. While this is a working farm, we felt very safe in the cabins and around the farm for the boys to run around. I can't say that about most places in Costa Rica. The kids loved the farm chores in the morning - milking the cows, collecting the eggs...
2-Restaurant was a great night cap after a busy day. The soups are delicious and the staff were kind in making a birthday cake and singing for our group.
3-The roads have recently been paved which made the coming and going very easy and faster. 4x4 helps with the last 100m.
4-We did the horseback riding tour to nowhere. And it was perfect for our group. Deb and Jose took their time to teach the kids how to ride a horse in the corral. Then we headed off to walk the roads around the farm. Jose even held our child who happened to fall asleep while in the saddle - what service!
5- We also got the day passes for The Springs Resort to use their pools. Very nice place but the springs are not as hot as the other options (If you require above 100 degrees).
6- Even though L&L is farther away from La Fortuna and Arenal, the prices were still about the same as other resorts of the similar caliber. Though we consider it a value since they are supporting the local community through tours, local women as the Chefs, art work and such. That added another dimension to our experience.
Our family made great memories thanks to the folks at L&L.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less