“A wonderful stay in a gorgeous setting!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat
Save Saved
You added Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat to your Saves list
500 meters south of Super Kiki, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Orpington, United Kingdom
“A wonderful stay in a gorgeous setting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Leaves and Lizards is set in beautiful surroundings facing out towards the Arenal volcano. The cabins are beautifully built and maintained - ours with choice of indoor or outdoor shower! Debbie and Steve are amazing hosts who have built great links with their local neighbours. I had the joy of riding the horses on an Eponaquest week and it was truly amazing passing through rainforest, grass fields, crossing rivers and swimming in the pond and at the waterfall! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were on our honeymoon in Costa Rica and after spending a week in other areas doing the lying around the pool thing and hotel excursions, I had booked a week at Leaves and Lizards as a surprise for my new bride as she loves horses and never gets to ride them back home in Oregon. I really didn't know what to expect and had never ridden horses myself at all. We were attending an Eponaquest workshop (google it) which was basically hands on horse riding in a group setting. I won't go into the actual workshop itself as there's too much to explain and I wouldn't do it justice, but I will say that everyone came out of this better off in many aspects. The accommodations are wonderful, we were lucky enough to stay in the "Hobbit House", food great, and views amazing, but above all it was the real Costa Rica with real people. Debbie and her husband Steve are so warm and caring. Vacation of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Hobbit House :)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrington, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I attended and assisted in teaching an Eponaquest 5 day Workshop experience in September here, which occurs twice a year. We rode Leaves and Lizards horses for 3 days through the rain forest, swimming in the waterfall pools, traveling through rough rocky terrain into beautiful lush open fields of tall grasses, riding along with the resident farms steers and horses.
A fabulous experience for anyone interested in seeing the real Costa Rica without all the 'tourism' attached to it. Spending time at a real dairy farm, and herding horses with the Costa Rican cowboys.
Leaves and Lizards was a very welcoming, extremely accomodating place. Debbie and Steve, the owners, were warm and friendly every minute of the day. Every meal was excellent and carefully prepared by their wonderful kitchen staff. Each cabin was distinctly designed with it's own personality to match its name. (We stayed in the Toucan.) And the view every morning out our huge picture window of the Arenal Volcano was amazing.
I could not recommend this place enough to anyone who wants to see the real Costa Rica, and would love to see it by horseback. The horses are fabulous and take good care of you, although I recommend some horse experience for a 3 or 4 day trek.
I do plan to return again, as it was a place of warmth, welcoming, true enjoyment and transformation for me.

Room Tip: The Hobbit is the most creative of all the cottages, but they are all very unique and delightful. T...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Leaves and Lizards has it all! Great food, unbelieveable view and lovely warm people. Their horses for riding are well attended. All cabins have an incredible view of the volcano. This is the real Costa Rica for those people who want to see the true country! Only noise is birds or rain on the roof. Very unique!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

If you are looking to "unplug" get away from the grind and be with nature this is the place. I stayed with 2 hiking friends in monkey cabin and we woke the first morning at 530 am sun gazing over Arenal it is amazing!! The flowers, birds and trees on the property are amazing. I am
A picky eater and the breakfasts were home cooked and 4 pp and great!! Dinners were pretty good as well you have 3, options to choose from each day.

Remember couple things you are in a jungle there are ants, Mosquitos, bugs etc! It's a natural place with no pesticides thank God but if its not for you then don't go and complain!!

• Stayed August 2013
Pekin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I hesitate to write a review, only because I feel that my words can't even come close to adequately describing this place. The first four days of our 9-day Costa Rica trip were spent at Leaves and Lizards, and my only regret is that we didn't stay longer.

After a very long day of travel, we arrived just before dark and were greeted by Debbie and Sam, one of the resident dogs. Debbie personally showed us to our cabin (Toucan), and made us feel right at home. We ate breakfast and dinner all 4 days at the on-site restaurant, but it felt more like sitting down to a meal with family. The meals at L&L turned out to be one of my very favorite parts of the whole trip. Debbie and Steve, as well as the two ladies that own one of the L&L houses, were very knowledgeable about the area and the culture and kept us entertained with stories and bits of information during our meals. Every staff member that we had the pleasure of meeting was extremely friendly and professional as well.

As far as activities, we did the horseback ride to the waterfall with Enrique and Yosimar, which was a wonderful way to start our vacation. We also did zip-lining and white-water rafting on the Serapiqui river, which were reserved for us by Debbie and were also both very wonderful experiences.

All in all, I don't believe there is any way you could stay here and not enjoy yourself. I would recommend it to anyone planning on visiting Costa Rica, and I hope to return someday soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were greeted like family, our cabin was clean, fun, and adequate for a great outback experience in Arenal. My wife got sick and we had to leave early on our reservation, and the owners treated us with care and compassion, and even worked with us on the cancellation. Breakfast was served fresh and delicious by the wonderful Dora while we watched hummingbirds from the patio.

If you're looking for a one-of-a-kind, fun experience in Costa Rica, go to the amazing L&L.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat? Share your experiences!