We stayed in the Heliconia House at L&L on March 26-28 and had a great experience. The house itself is probably not as nice as some of the other accommodations L&L offers (it is the least expensive and a little run down), but we liked that it had two separate bedrooms. You don't spend very much time inside at this place anyway. The house has a large private back porch which is nice for drinking coffee in the morning and a nice sized front porch with a volcano view. We took the L&L cooking class with a couple of ladies from the kitchen and what a blast that was! They don't speak a lot of English and I don't speak a lot of Spanish, but we had a wonderful time and ate like royalty afterwards. The food at this place is amazing - organic, homemade, flavorful and all around excellent. The seating at dinner is family style with other people staying there and it's a fun way to compare notes about activities and meet new people.
In addition to the cooking class we did the horseback ride to the private waterfall, the Mundo Aventura ziplines (scary, but fun), the Desafio canyoneering (also scary, but fun) and hiked the Arenal Volcano area trails. We decided not to rent a car so Steve and Debbie arranged our transportation for us and I think we ended up saving money that way. I know we saved major confusion and disorientation. On our last day, Debbie arranged for a driver to take us to the Arenal Volcano, the canyoneering trip and then to San Jose. No way we could have done all that on our own because we wouldn't have wanted to drive after dark.
The only very slight negative was that the wi-fi is mainly available only in the dining hall and office (though we could sometimes get it on the front porch.) This didn't bother me in the least, but my 14-year-old would have liked better access. Again, you are out and about so much at this place that sitting inside looking at the Internet should not be a priority.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less