“Loved Leaves & Lizards!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat
500 meters south of Super Kiki, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“Loved Leaves & Lizards!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Leaves & Lizards was a great place to stay - very warm family feeling and a great experience. Definitely having a car and GPS is extremely helpful to put the longitude/latitude coordinates in to get to it! We were happy to have our 4 wheel drive as well as the roads are quite the obstacle. The drive is worth it to get to this secluded little place - an eco-friendly stay with wonderful food/views and many birds to enjoy.
For the common area/meals: We loved the breakfasts - watching the birds while enjoying the fresh fruit and food so wonderfully prepared by the cook. It was a little cloudy so only one day we saw the volcano fully, however, it is still such a beautiful view. The open-style room, the amazing lizard painted on the wall - I loved it! This was the only place we were able to receive internet since it wasn't available in our cabin (Monkey) but to us this wasn't a huge deal. The dinners were good as well - depending on how many people are staying you may have a sort of family style dinner with everyone while you are there.
We also enjoyed getting up early to help milk the cow - Carlos was very nice to us even though we weren't the best at it. The waterfall horseback ride was out of this world...Oscar and Carlos helped out with the horses, showed us many things in the forest, and we loved the secluded little gem of a waterfall we were able to enjoy.
Although we had a tough time finding the Hot Springs (Eco Terminales) at dark - we loved experience (I will write another view on their site). We also visited the Hanging Bridges which were OK although there was so many tourists there as it significantly slowed us down and Arenal Volcano - again just OK but we were not able to go up as high as we thought we'd be able to go.
We unfortunately missed the owners due to a family situation in the US but extremely enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone with similar goals on their vacation - non touristy spots, good food/good relaxation and wildlife.

Room Tip: Monkey Cabin had an exceptional view of the volcano.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

479 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here and loved it! The cabins are great, our group took 3, so we had a good spead over the complex, and all were of an excellent standard. Debbie was very friendly and helpful. I would reccomend this to anyone.
The only things to note, the resorts reccomended hot springs was amazing, but the meal there was below average. For the price of the rooms breakfast should be included, but in fairness the additional charge is minimum and it is yummy. I found the dinner we had was dissapointing, given the breakfasts, but maybe the cook was off the night we ate. It is out of the town a bit, but the views are worth the trip, and the town its self is not great, so it's not really a negative point. Do go zip lining here, it was one of the highlights of our holiday. Stay here, enjoy the amazing views from the cabins.

• Stayed December 2011
sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Leaves and Lizards was my first trip outside the US, and my first trip alone - ever! I participated in many activities yet found plenty of time to put the hammock on my porch to good use. Having a big comfy bed to myself, I woke up every morning to birds announcing the day. At the Lava Lizard, the staff were waiting expectantly for me to let them know how I like my eggs, and while they prepared a scrumptious breakfast I practiced my new obsession - photographing the birds that came to the baskets in which the staff had placed fruits. Everything at L&L is immaculate, even the barn! I loved having the freedom to wander around the property and see the reforestation Debbie and Steve have done, the beautiful heliconias everywhere, the well cared for animals, and of course, the many views of beautiful Arenal (which rivaled the birds in photo shoots). Enrique fascinated me with his in depth knowledge of Costa Rica History, the flora and fauna, and his love for his coutry and its people. I hiked, rode horseback to the falls, experienced the riverboat wildlife tour (wow!), and tagged along with just about every outing. Every staff member strives to ensure a memorable visit for all, and this truly was the best 'alone time' I have ever experienced! I can hardly wait to return and bring my entire family!

Room Tip: The Coco was immaculate, comfortable, and had a great view of the pasture, rain forest, and - of cou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed for three nights at Leaves and Lizards in early September 2012 and had a wonderful time. Steve and Deb are such gracious and accommodating hosts. The cabins are beautiful and maintained immaculately. The location provides an amazing view of the volcano. The meals at the dining room were excellent, as was the conversation with other guests while dining. I would highly recommend L&L to everyone. We look forward to going back again on a return trip to CR. I recommoned having a 4-wheel drive vehichle to get there, or at least a 2-wheel with high ground clearance, since the road is rocky.

Thank you Deb and Steve!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sailes De Bearn, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Leaves and Lizards is a great place to stay, off of the beaten path, yet close to everything you may want to see in Arenal . It offers all of the excursions that an adventure seeker would want to experience while in Costa Rica. I have actually stayed there twice, once in 2009, and again in 2012, and it has gotten even better over the years. The hosts are extremely hospitable, the food is great, and the views are breath taking. I plan on staying there again for part of my next trip to Costa Rica while I am in the Arenal area. The internet connection was also great, so I managed to get a little work in as well.

Room Tip: The Hummingbird House is great for larger families and is close to all of the property's hiking...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

2012 was the third year in a row for my Costa Rica photo workshop at Leaves & Lizards. Deb and Steve are always gracious hosts and I count them among my friends. The cabins are maintained beautifully, and they always look as if the resort just opened. They do a great job of accommodating my photography group. From rooms to meals to tours, Deb offers suggestions and assistance at every turn.
The hardest part is leaving, but we'll be back next year!

Room Tip: The cabins all have a great view of Arenal... on a clear day
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a wonderful adventure and retreat! Never, never have I been so fully occupied with the place, people, culture and pure adventure. Every day was a new thrill and challenge for me. Leaves and Lizards was the perfect setting for an adventure get-away, but with amenities that provided comfort, beauty, health and satisfaction. Thank you Leaves and Lizards.... I will return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat? Share your experiences!