“Relaxing escape!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat
Save Saved
You added Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat to your Saves list
500 meters south of Super Kiki, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
sarasota
“Relaxing escape!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Leaves and Lizards was my first trip outside the US, and my first trip alone - ever! I participated in many activities yet found plenty of time to put the hammock on my porch to good use. Having a big comfy bed to myself, I woke up every morning to birds announcing the day. At the Lava Lizard, the staff were waiting expectantly for me to let them know how I like my eggs, and while they prepared a scrumptious breakfast I practiced my new obsession - photographing the birds that came to the baskets in which the staff had placed fruits. Everything at L&L is immaculate, even the barn! I loved having the freedom to wander around the property and see the reforestation Debbie and Steve have done, the beautiful heliconias everywhere, the well cared for animals, and of course, the many views of beautiful Arenal (which rivaled the birds in photo shoots). Enrique fascinated me with his in depth knowledge of Costa Rica History, the flora and fauna, and his love for his coutry and its people. I hiked, rode horseback to the falls, experienced the riverboat wildlife tour (wow!), and tagged along with just about every outing. Every staff member strives to ensure a memorable visit for all, and this truly was the best 'alone time' I have ever experienced! I can hardly wait to return and bring my entire family!

Room Tip: The Coco was immaculate, comfortable, and had a great view of the pasture, rain forest, and - of cou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed for three nights at Leaves and Lizards in early September 2012 and had a wonderful time. Steve and Deb are such gracious and accommodating hosts. The cabins are beautiful and maintained immaculately. The location provides an amazing view of the volcano. The meals at the dining room were excellent, as was the conversation with other guests while dining. I would highly recommend L&L to everyone. We look forward to going back again on a return trip to CR. I recommoned having a 4-wheel drive vehichle to get there, or at least a 2-wheel with high ground clearance, since the road is rocky.

Thank you Deb and Steve!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sailes De Bearn, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Leaves and Lizards is a great place to stay, off of the beaten path, yet close to everything you may want to see in Arenal . It offers all of the excursions that an adventure seeker would want to experience while in Costa Rica. I have actually stayed there twice, once in 2009, and again in 2012, and it has gotten even better over the years. The hosts are extremely hospitable, the food is great, and the views are breath taking. I plan on staying there again for part of my next trip to Costa Rica while I am in the Arenal area. The internet connection was also great, so I managed to get a little work in as well.

Room Tip: The Hummingbird House is great for larger families and is close to all of the property's hiking...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

2012 was the third year in a row for my Costa Rica photo workshop at Leaves & Lizards. Deb and Steve are always gracious hosts and I count them among my friends. The cabins are maintained beautifully, and they always look as if the resort just opened. They do a great job of accommodating my photography group. From rooms to meals to tours, Deb offers suggestions and assistance at every turn.
The hardest part is leaving, but we'll be back next year!

Room Tip: The cabins all have a great view of Arenal... on a clear day
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a wonderful adventure and retreat! Never, never have I been so fully occupied with the place, people, culture and pure adventure. Every day was a new thrill and challenge for me. Leaves and Lizards was the perfect setting for an adventure get-away, but with amenities that provided comfort, beauty, health and satisfaction. Thank you Leaves and Lizards.... I will return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sonoita AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Fabulous food, good accommodations. Wonderful hosts Debbie and Steve. All kinds of adventures, great horses to ride, waterfall to swim in, hot river , cool downpours, earthquakes, kayaking. Good massages. Guides were sweet and knowledgeable. We conducted an Eponaquest workshop while on a 5 day riding trek.

Room Tip: Monkey cabin was great-a beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I just returned from an Epona Trek at Leaves and Lizards and I must say, this more than a destination vacation was beyond fabulous. The facility was beautiful and the cabin was first rate, the presentation of the towels on the bed was an added touch that I had never seen. Debbie and Steve and their staff were a pleasure to be around. The food was freshly prepared with many of the items grown there. The Costa Rican horses were so brave, sure footed, and gentle. The entire scenery during the trek was the most beautiful and the guides made everyone feel safe and gave us information on the region and the culture. I will definitely be going back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat? Share your experiences!