“Amazing place - Wow” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Silencio del Campo

Save Saved
You added Hotel El Silencio del Campo to your Saves list
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5km northwest from the Catholic Church on right hand side | 5km northwest from the Catholic Church on right hand side, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 98, Costa Rica   |
Seattle
“Amazing place - Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed during Oct 2014. This pictures don't do this place justice. Everyone has their own beautifully appointed building, with a lovely patio positioned such that each patio can see the mountain (when it's visible). You have windows on both sides. It feels like a 5 star hotel, but with each room it's own private building, all of which are so perfect as to seem just built.
The gardens are no less than stunning! Ponds, streams and bridges are surrounded by immaculate gardens. The hot spring pools are so nice we didn't bother going to any of the larger hot spring attractions.
The food was great, and the service even better. I can't imagine how they could have made it any nicer for us.

Room Tip: Every room is great.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We just returned from an exciting adventure, and Hotel El Silencio was definitely one of our favorite stops! We weren't expecting our own little bungalow, so we were thrilled when we found our room to be our own little piece of paradise! We had a stunning view of the volcano, and on a clear night you can see the smoke rising at the top!

We really enjoyed the hot springs and had a lot of fun jumping from hot to cold to super hot. They were very clean, the water was so refreshing, and the scenery was gorgeous.

We even got up early one morning to help milk the cows!

The daily breakfast provided with our stay was delicious, and we had a lot of fun spending our evenings enjoying a cocktail by the hot springs. Special mention for the wonderful bartender, May, who made us feel right at home while we were there.

No complaints - this place was an amazing find - thanks to all the wonderful trip advisor reviews, they didn't let us down!!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So first of all, we stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. Being non-drivers we had to book a taxi to collect us from San Jose airport (the hotel booked the taxi via email request) - this cost $160 as we arrived late at night. The drive took 2 and bit hours as the traffic was clear.

When we arrived, I was expecting a hotel, but actually the hotel is made of 24 self-contained cabins. We stayed at number 15 which was close to the hot springs. The houses has all the usual amenities such as bath robes, toiletries, hair dryer, safe, mini fridge, coffee maker - we also emailed to check. Also WIFI connection was very good.

Breakfast was included and choices are pancakes (made with fresh banana - really tasty), fresj fruit platter, orange juice, bean and rice, fresh eggs and milk (they have a farm on-site) and upon request my vegatarian friend also had fresh steamed vegetables.

Having hots springs was amazing specially after finishing hikes, zip wiring (hot springs closes at 11pm) otherwise we would have had to go to a neighbouring hotel.

We went the first week of September so it was quiet and most days we had the springs to ourselves.

Journey to La Fortuna cost between $6-8 dollars each way (we took some costa rican colon just in case but not necesssary as most places took US dollars). The town consists of the main square and has cafes and restaurants as well as the usual tourist souvenoir shops.

The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and polite.

Don't forget to complete your ESTA before going, there is a airport tax on the way back as wel . We were in 2 minds about taking antimalarials, but this was not a problem for us - took DEET insect repellant and make sure you take your waterproofs and hiking boots especially if you plan on the cerro chato hike

Room Tip: HIgher the number - closer to the hot springs, otherwise lower number are towards the view of volcan...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had an amazing experience at El Silencio del Campo when I stayed for two nights in September 2014. It was the low season, so it felt like I had the hotel all to myself. The facilities and amenities at this hotel are amazing, starting with the rooms, which are really free-standing buildings (cabins makes it sound less luxury than it is). The rooms are large with high ceilings and air conditioning. Each has a patio with a table and chairs and view of the volcano. The sink is out in the main room and the toilet and shower are in a separate bathroom. The shower is huge with a large bench inside and everything was very clean and mildew-free. The hotel also has hot springs (probably 5 or 6 small pools) which are amazing and a high-end spa. They were running a special so I got a free facial, one of the best I've ever had. The food was also top-notch; the dinner I ate at the hotel was the best meal I had in Costa Rica. The only minor down-side is that you can't flush your toilet paper (which is pretty standard in Costa Rica). I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
solotraveler007
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed two days at El Silencio del Campo. At checked in they gave us a delicious strawberry smoothie, it was yummy, lol. The hotel is truly a boutique hotel. Each cabin is separated from each other. The ground is covered with beautiful plants and flowers. The path along the hotel were well lit, and nice. We loved the fruit trees (orange, starfruit, mango and guava) near the spa area. The room was clean. We loved the candles, we lit them up at night and it was magical.
I think they only have twenty something cabins, so you truly feel like it's your personal space. Plus since we went during the green season, I think there were probably five other cabins were occupied.
The hot springs were amazing. I think there are three different pools, a cold water pool and a jacuzzi. After 9:30pm, the bar close, but the whole place is still well lit (I think they turn off the lights along the path at midnight, just bring a flash light instead). Did we mention that were were the only ones at the hot spring two nights in a row? One night it rained hard, but didn't stop us from playing in the pool. It was very very romantic.
Oh, the hotel's restaurant served delicious food. The waiter was very friendly. We had dinner there twice and lunch once. The food was fresh and delicious. The hotel is far from town, but who cares, you can spend days there. We woke up very early to go birding so didn't have time to taste the free breakfast but I heard amazing things about it. The restaurant did packed ham and cheese sandwiches and a lot of fruits for us to take out.
If we come back we will stay at this hotel again:)

Room Tip: Go during the green season. You will have the place to yourself.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and I went to costa rica 6th Sept. This hotel is lovely - it was a great location - you can access alot of the activities easily from there and la fortuna main town is 10 min drive away (you cant walk/safer not to as theres not really a pavement on the road to there and good to get things from the supermarket too - buy bottled water). You can see the arenal volcano from the hotel (nice view at breakfast)

The hotel staff were also very friendly and helpful and everyone really goes out of their way to help you make the best of your trip. The rooms are spacious - like a cabin, the wash basin is in the room and not in the bathroom which was odd but we managed ok and contrary to peoples reviews we didnt have any problems with insects coming in (though we did spray jungle spray underneath the door margins each night!)
They have a spa onsite - it would have been even better if they had a gym but unfortunately they didnt - however, with all the hiking and activities we were doing I didnt feel like a coach potato.
Theres a little farm on site too and the milk and cheese comes from the cows there - you can even milk them if you want to.
I mainly picked this hotel due to its great reviews and the fact that they have hot springs onsite - I was not disappointed - it was great to come back at the end of a long day of hiking and get into one of their hot springs pools - even better that they're open till 11pm at night. I think this was really great as there are a few hot spring places nearby but you have to pay alot (around $40 I think) to get in.
I was worried about what kind of food there would be available as I am vegetarian but I fared ok (I got given some non vegetarian ravioli by accident which horrified me when i tried to eat it but this was rectified, though i was put off the hotel food after that) and breakfast starts with a fruit platter (no buffet to pick from) then you pick from a few dishes on their menu. I had 'rice and beans' each morning with pancakes - their pancakes are seriously amazing - so fluffy and delicious and made with banana. (Theres also a veggie restaurant called the flying tomato that i never managed to visit). The lava lounge had nice food and the rainforest cafe have great cold coffee/milkshakes - well worth checking out.
You can book activities via the hotel or go into la fortuna town and shop around for best priced packages - we got cheaper deals in town for zip wiring, waterfall treks etc. We had arrived at start of rainy season but the temp was average 28 C and humid.
The hotel grounds are very pretty and serene, there are pretty flowers and plants, little ducks and all sorts of insects etc. I just wish I had longer to spend there! All in all an amazing holiday.

Room Tip: I dont think it matters which room - all are on a lovely site, walking a little further helps burn o...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Brasil de Santa Ana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed for two nights with a day trip to San Carlos while traveling with our friends. The e-mails, reception greeting and overall service was excellent. Breakfast was very nice although I would have loved an option of granola but there was a nice selection. The bar area and Jose the bartender was a nice place to hang out while watching sports on TV, to have a bite to eat, a cold beer or cocktail and to enjoy the lovely hot springs. The highlight was the complimentary facial. We added another 40 minute massage to make it a full hour. Geraldine gave one of the best massages and facials I have ever had. The entire experience in the spa area was wonderful, especially the glass of wine to relax with after. Nice touch.
No complaints with our little villa with the king bed, mini fridge and amenities. Beautiful gardens, little farm area if you want to milk the cows in the AM, walking trails throughout the property and nice pool area. I would definitely recommend El Silencio - especially if Geraldine is there.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel El Silencio del Campo? Share your experiences!