“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Silencio del Campo

Save Saved
You added Hotel El Silencio del Campo to your Saves list
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5km northwest from the Catholic Church on right hand side | 5km northwest from the Catholic Church on right hand side, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 98, Costa Rica   |
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We spent two nights here while in the Arenal area. I did a lot of research and finally decided on Hotel El Silencio because of the location. It is right on the main drag so it's easy to get to La Fortuna and other activities. Other hotels I looked at were 1-2 miles off the beaten path which could add 20 minutes to your drive. We had a car so I knew I wanted easy access.

The hotel was very nice and exceeded my expectations. We were in casita #4 and the noise from the road did not bother us at all. The room had a mini-fridge and TV with a few English-lanugage stations. Another nice feature was that the sink was in the main room which is very handy when 4 people are sharing one room.

Breakfast was very good. They offer a choice of 4-5 items. Between the 4 of us, we tried them all and had no complaints.

The grounds are very nice and the hot springs are fantastic after a day of hiking. For the price, this was a perfect spot.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

1,187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

After staying at Casa Luna in La Fortuna area this hotel did not meet my expectations and I was quite disappointed with my stay. Do not stay in room no. 16 as we had to deal with a trail of ants by the sink wall. It wasn't just one or 2 it was like 50-60 ants crawling up and down the wall. There was also a beetle that crawled up my leg in the shower. The ants were also crawling on the shelves where my luggage was and even by the night table. When I moved my luggage to the bed the ants moved there too. Finally used a hair dryer to blow it all off. I also sprayed Off on the wall but they still came back! So beware. As my daughter said she was so glad and looking forward to checking out as I was. The toilet bowl was also disgusting, streaked with several black vertical lines inside. Well you will see if you stay in room 16! Furthermore, there was a bad smell when I stood next to the fridge and also a bad urinal smell in the bathroom. Overall the hotel looked too well used and old although we had lots of privacy in our own cabin. The pool was extremely small and underwhelming compared to other hotels I've been to worldwide. Also don't expect internet in that room.

What was nice was the exceptional friendly service of the servers especially at breakfast and front desk. The servers at breakfast worked very hard to deliver breakfast efficiently. My questions were answered by email promptly by the staff before my trip. What was also nice was the hot thermal pools at the back of this hotel which was a treat.

Becareful as the hotel calls the same taxi driver as we saw him on the day we checked him. He drove us the following day to Tabacon and charged us 9000 colones. We took a van ride back from Tabacon that night by a driver called by the Tabacon resort and was only charged us 6000. Even though traffic was not heavy during the day time it was $6 US difference or 3000 colones. Well the taxi's are all expensive in Costa Rica as they overcharge tourists as a blog I read said, what are you going to do call the police? However in this case I think 9000 was a bit drastic. I think since I saw this taxi driver on different days at this hotel stay it makes me think the hotel gets a cut from calling this driver. It's basically what they say when you ride a taxi and pay what they ask for!

Overall despite the excellent service and friendliness of the staff I felt the smell/cleanliness did not meet my expectations. Furthermore the ant problem was not pleasant which the hotel needs to address in this room despite it being Costa rica. I mean I did not get the same problems with the 2 other hotels I stayed at in CR. I will for sure not stay at this hotel again even with a discount. It's also 7000 colones to get to town to eat as it's quite far. What I did was I had take out for dinner one day.

Room Tip: Do not choose cabin #16 as there is an ant problem.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We spent three nights here (June 30-July 3) and LOVED it! There were three of us (2 adults and our 11 year old daughter) The grounds are beautiful and the Hot Springs were great! Accommodations aren't luxurious but are MORE than adequate, very comfortable and spacious. The hotel staff were very accommodating and extremely helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel! Don't forget to ask to 'milk the cow' in the mornings. That was a great experience as well.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back of the property are the most quiet. We stayed toward the front of the propert...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Titusville, FLorida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Love this resort!! The front desk staff go over and above to confirm our already planned trips, our taxi's, make arrangements for day trips, verify our transportation and any other questions we have patiently and accurately. They are all top notch!! Appreciate confirming our last minute reservation and our favorite room request also!! Rooms are spotless clean and the towel animals are always so cute! Food is very good and Humberto is great there! We always enjoy the fruit put out in the morning for the various birds and the hot springs are great after a day out enjoying the birds and rafting! Thanks you all!

Room Tip: 23, 24 and 25 are closest to the springs and away from the highway
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just spent one night at this place en route to Guanacaste from San Jose. It's not a fancy hotel, but is clean, very well kept and staff was great.

The property consists of small, individual cabins, which worked great for us for the night. The property has a regular swimming pool and several hot springs pools. We drove about 15 minutes to a waterfall with directions from the staff. Highly recommend that trip if you don't mind a bit of a hike.

Meals were fairly basic, but very good.

Thanks for a nice stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here on our trip to Costa Rica in April--four adults and a teen ager. Beautiful grounds with lush vegetation, which attracts beautiful birds. Having the hot springs in a variety of settings both public and more private were a wonderful treat at the end of the day. Great food, supremely friendly and helpful staff really goes out of their way to assist with reservations, restaurant recommendations, cabs, etc. and even told us which "attractions" to avoid. Private cabins are more like cottages, spacious, large showers, and very clean. My mother and I enjoyed nice massages at the spa, which is in a peaceful, private setting. We loved the added bonus of the organic farm -- collected eggs, milked the cows and watched the woman making cheese. Really fantastic place from which to explore the area around La Fortuna and the volcano.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From the minute you check in, this place feels like your own home in Costa Rica! The private cabanas are immaculately clean and very pretty sitting at the base of the volcano. There is air conditioning which is needed on many humid days here, beautifully designed towels with flowers in the shape of hearts or swans on your bed and your own fridge and tv.
The grounds are truly beautiful and the hot springs are amazing with a view to beat most I've seen. And the food- well, they have their own farm and it is fresh and delicious. The staff is great- always helpful and kind. I would take this place over any of the higher priced, big resorts in the area. Despite the rain on our trip, we still had a blast. It is a gem and I will be back!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel El Silencio del Campo? Share your experiences!