“Great Place, Great People…and the HOT SPRINGS” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Silencio del Campo

Save Saved
You added Hotel El Silencio del Campo to your Saves list
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5km northwest from the Catholic Church on right hand side | 5km northwest from the Catholic Church on right hand side, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 98, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Place, Great People…and the HOT SPRINGS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay and appreciated the relaxing atmosphere after our long travel and busy days full of Costa Rica adventure. The hot springs are a perfect remedy to aching muscles from climbing Cerro Chato!

Our room was very clean and comfortable and the grounds were well kept. What I can not stress enough is how unique and pleasant the hot springs are. I smiled every day that we passed the other hot springs locations that had buses and a full parking lot of people that must have been fighting over the pools…when we got back to Hotel El Silencio del Campo, we had our hot springs to ourselves!

As much as I could say about the complex and facilities, the real joy is in the people. Jose - thanks for your patience with my Spanish lessons buddy (and for the cocktails).

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel has a winning combination of gracious staff, gorgeous gardens/grounds (you never saw coleus like these!) and oh those hot springs! We especially appreciated the kind service of Humberto (Reception) and Jose (Pool bar). Both exemplified friendly and superior hospitality.On check in, the hotel offered a complimentary facial at the spa. We added a 2nd for a couple's facial - very relaxing and a terrific value. This encouraged us to return for a couple's massage the next evening. From aromatherapy to flickering candlelight to skillful massage hands, we both loved the experience and consider this spa top notch.
As a suggestion, please upgrade the ambient lighting in the rooms, for ease of reading and less glare.
We chose this hotel for their private lodges, and we hope to return!

new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

very nice hotel if you are looking for quiet relaxation. very clean huge rooms and showers that would fit 4 people. huge shower. nice hot springs and the bartender jose is the best ever. what a great person and a big asset to the hotel.

Room Tip: stay near the back of the property away from the main road. unit number 22
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and really loved it. The lodges are convenient and clean. The gardens are really beautiful and well maintained. After a long day of sightseeing the thermal baths are welcoming. The staff helps you with everything you want (e.g. Trips and transport). The restaurant is okay but the restaurant of the hotel next door (Royal Corin) has more to offer.

• Stayed January 2013
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during the first leg of our trip in Costa Rica. The staff was exceptionally helpful, especially Eliomar, who worked with us on last minute bookings (including day-of cancellation due to a horrible passport mistake, then rebooking later that night when the issue was resolved) and transfers from the airport. Other friendly staff recommended and assisted in booking adventures, and spa services, etc.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and the Arenal Volcano is breathtaking on a clear day. The landscaping is so lush and tropical, there are lots of bird species (that often gather in front of the restaurant...attracted in part by fresh fruit put out for them!) and some other wildlife to be seen. The hot springs were fabulous, and we enjoyed them every night of our stay. The biggest hot spring is the hottest, but there are quite a few smaller ones to choose from at a variety of temperatures and in some nice private settings. Our casita (the room/cabin) was large, clean, and cozy. My only complaint regarding the rooms is that the showers only heated to just above luke-warm. I never really felt like I had a hot shower during my stay, and even got in the hot springs one night after a disappointing shower just to warm up and feel truly refreshed. Not a bad solution though =)

The spa is beautiful and relaxing. The hotel was running a free facial promotion, which I took advantage of, and also booked a massage for me and my husband. I had a swedish massage but asked for more pressure and it was fabulous; my husband had a deep-tissue massage and, while he said it was somewhat painful (to be expected with a deep-tissue massage), he said it was one of the best massages he has ever received.

The restaurant is good and the servers were very friendly. We ate dinner there two nights and the food was delicious. However, I do think El Silencio del campo could improve/expand their breakfast selections. There are only 5 options for breakfast: Huevos rancheros (eggs with a salsa/marinara-type sauce), an omelet, french toast, and two other options I cannot remember. Thankfully, everything is served with fresh fruit and coffee/orange juice if you want it. The breakfast is good (and included in the room rate), but the other hotels we booked in Costa Rica had many more options for breakfast. On the last night we ate at Don Rufino in town - highly recommended.

Note about activities in La Fortuna: We stayed 3 nights at El Silencio del Campo; our first full day was the perfect weather for hiking so at the recommendation of our shuttle driver we hiked the Cerro Chato trail and visited the La fortuna falls. Each costs about $10 per person, and it was fabulous! If you have a nice day with good views of the Arenal Volcano, and are in decent shape (the hike up Cerro Chato is steep and takes about 3 hours just to get to the top), I highly recommend it. The La Fortuna falls are within walking distance of Cerro Chato so you can just do that when you're done, as long as you get there before they close at 5 pm. The waterfall is stunning, you can swim in the lagoon, and we saw lots of Toucans there! With our other full day we went on the canyoning trip through DeSafio expeditions, which including rappelling down 230' waterfalls and trekking through the canyons. We also highly recommend this tour, which I believe can be booked through the hotel, though we booked directly with DeSafio (usually it's best to book directly through the company because you will get a better rate).

Overall, my husband and I were very satisfied with our stay at El Silencio del Campo. I think 3 nights was a good length of stay to "see" La Fortuna if you have other places to visit in Costa Rica. Thanks El Silencio del Campo! Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Since we booked last minute, we were placed in the casita closest to the road and the reception area...
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had been to the Tabacon Resort for a day on a previous trip to Costa Rica and decided to book this hotel on the recommendation of a friend. It was worth every minute spent there. The rooms are lovely and clean and the staff is welcoming and friendly. The grounds are spectacular - flowers and blooming bushes everywhere. The hot springs are fantastic and I gave up any idea of returning to Tabacon as I was totally content with the springs that were on site. Food was good and you should try the patecones rellenos - I had never had them and loved them. The wait staff both at the restaurant and at the pool are absolutely warm and welcoming. It is an absolutely fabulous way to unwind and rejuvenate.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Columbia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is clean and pleasant. The landscaping is lovely and the food is reasonably priced. At breakfast, a waiter put fruit on nearby bushes to attract local, colorful birds. We were picked up at the hotel for a marvelous trail ride at the base of the volcano (great horses). This was handy because we had no car: I was pleased that we didn't need one. The best part of all was simply sitting in the warm, thermal water right on the hotel property. The pools are lovely, clean and just plain wonderful to sit in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel El Silencio del Campo? Share your experiences!