“This is why I love Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arenal Montechiari

Save Saved
You added Hotel Arenal Montechiari to your Saves list
Hotel Arenal Montechiari
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 mts norte del Banco Nacional | Barrio Sinai. Entrada a mano izquierda., La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 5194-1000, Costa Rica   |
London, United Kingdom
“This is why I love Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I loved this little hotel. It is own by a Costa Rican family and they do everything, from building the cabins to cooking your food. I was so glad to be in a place where they don't speak english, but do their best to understand. That I think is refreshing and it's part of travelling to immerse yourself in another culture.
It is an easy walk to the town centre. The view is great and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Their knowledge is unlimited so do ask anything you need to know.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Plano,TEXAS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I visited hotel Montechiari and the La Fortuna CR area in August 2013. We stayed for an entire week. The hotel is family run and we were indeed treated as family. The staff and hotel owners are just super folks that helped us arrange many tours. Their recommendations were spot on adding to the enjoyment of our trip. The cabins were super clean and comfortable, and breakfast was delicious (thank you abuela). The hotel location is a short walk to the town center. Daisy, her husband and daughters run a beautiful hotel and are charming people who we now consider as friends. We are planning to return soon. Looking for a relaxing setting, beautiful garden - pool, with a friendly and helpful staff in a great location?....try Hotel Montechiari. We did and had a great experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Fresh and clean with a large variety of beautiful flowering plants in the manicured gardens. Friendly and helpful staff and close to town or a $2 taxi to town. Quaint cabin like rooms that are perfectly maintained. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Athens, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

During our two night/three day stay, I felt like I was in a tropical paradise. The environment, consisting of several tropical trees, variety of wildlife, and view of the Arenal volcano, were all breathtaking. I couldn't help, but feel relaxed.

The rooms were very similar to cabins - small room with two hard beds and a bathroom (huge shower area). A small table with two chairs, a tv, and a small refrigerator accompanied the room. Also, a small front porch with some chairs added to the cabin quality.

Breakfast was buffet style for my group of college students. Fresh fruit, rice and beans, pancakes, scrambled eggs, fresh OJ, fresh coffee, - very delicious! Also, the small pool was very nice.

Although no wifi existed in the rooms (only at the front office), I enjoyed my stay. Honestly, I wanted to simply enjoy the Costa Rican culture and what the hotel had to offer instead of worry about wifi.

The hotel was about 10 minutes away from the town. The hotel was secluded in its own little nook of paradise. If I return to La Fortuna, I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We only spent one night here as we were moving to Arenal Manoa the next day but I was so excited after being here for 5 minutes. Room 15 has a window view of Arenal volcano! They have a pool! We were set. Our cabin came with chairs on our lil patio, table and work area in the room, modern fridge, flat screen tv, comfy bed, HUGE shower, one of those bowl sinks and of course a/c. I wish we stayed longer but thus is Costa Rica in 12 days. The couple that made us breakfast were incredibly sweet and gave me a chance to test out my spanish (which is very bad) I would recommend and even stay here again if in the area. It's nice not being directly in La Fortuna but still very close.

• Stayed April 2013
Hanover, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We enjoyed our 2 night visit, mostly because of the gracious manner of and excellent suggestions from Sergio, the owner/manager. Simple accommodations.
We had a problem with the tour buses. They rolled in and the feel of the place changed immediately. Since the buses contained a high school group, it suddenly felt like a youth hostel. Kids everywhere.
Sergio was apologetic and tried to manage the situation but couldn't. Wen making a reservation, ask about tour buses.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I must admit that we didn’t like what we found when we arrived – two parties of teenagers from the US. However, we needn’t have worried, as their behaviour was excellent & they left the following morning … leaving the superb gardens, the pool & the incredible view of the volcano to us. I think the best views are from Chalets No. 14, 15 & 30 – at the top of the complex, furthest away from reception, etc – max. of 2 minutes walk. A few more adults arrived during our three night stay. The cabins are spotlessly clean, very comfortable, with air-con. – one couple complained that their A/C was noisy & so they changed rooms. We, too, changed rooms – not because there was a problem with our original one, but because we thought the view from the second would be better. It was. We enjoyed simply wondering around the gardens, spotting humming birds, fly-catchers & other assorted birds. All of the staff were very helpful & friendly, esp. the manager.

Food was freshly prepared & we were given far more than we could eat.

The hotel is about 10 minutes walk, along a flat road, from the centre of La Foruna, where all the services you need are available.

Room Tip: I'd go for one of the chalets at the top of the camp.