“Awesome location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Arenal Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 km west of Catholic Church of La Fortuna | Near Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
atlanta
“Awesome location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We spent 3 days in Arenal springs resort from dec 22- dec 25. The resorts tropical landscape with the Arenal volcano backdrop is mesmerizing. It was a very relaxing stay except for the service at the resorts restaurant. If not going for a buffet, you can expect a wait of an hour or 2 to get your food, sometime even incorrect delivery. It is a beautiful resort to spend time watching the Arenal volcano from the patio or room every day.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

1,245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Positive: The staff was excellent, we book three tours through them and couldn’t be more pleased. The grounds were beautiful and the room was very nice and clean. Staying here was worth every penny.

Negative: The food was awful. It was over priced and I have had better food at Denny's. We even had broken shells in our seafood pasta (which they did take off the bill). The hotel is right at the volcano which is great, but it was about a $16 cab ride (roundtrip) to town to get some decent food. I must say, after 10 days in Costa Rica... this was the worst food we had.

Outside of the food, I couldn't have asked for a better hotel. Advice: if you do a tour, just ask them to drop you off in town to eat

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed here during part of our honeymoon. I was utterly taken away by every aspect of this place. I know we got a deal staying here booking through mycostaricalink.com. We were upgraded to what seemed like the best suite in the place. Outside our bathroom window and comfy balcony we could see the Arenal volcano (when the clouds broke a bit). The room was so nice inside. I like how you put your room key in this thing which allowed the rest of the room to receieve power - yes I am an environmentalist at heart and can appreciate little things like this and how they can make a difference. We had a ginormous bed, a well functioning AC machine that ran quietly, a nice soaker tub, and a good area to sit back and read while sipping coffee. Most of the staff were very friendly. The ones at the front were very friendly. The only ones that had a bit of attitude were in the gift shop (made to feel like I was a burden to them while they were visiting with their friend and all I wanted to do was buy a soda). There was a nice pool there. There was massage services available but the hours were not good as we were doing activities all day and when I came back all sore I could not get this nasty kink worked out of my back - I guess that is much more my fault then theirs. Their restuarant was amazing and our waiter was the friendliest during our trip and we did meet many that were excellent. An after dinner coffee sitting on their couch looking out at the volcano felt so surreal. I like that the security there checked in each vehicle and tried to keep creepers away from bringing prostitutes back to the facility - so if that's your cup of tea you probably wouldn't like it there. Me though, I felt like I was in a classy joint. There seemed to be a lot of really great places in the La Fortuna/Arenal area but I would not want to go anywhere else if I were to go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from our 5th visit to Costa Rica and 4th visit to this property. We've always liked it but it has gotten even better. If you are into nature you'll enjoy the grounds. On one visit I hiked for days in hopes to see a Chestnut Mandibled Toucan. Guess what I saw just outside of my room - only 5-6 feet away, eating bananas!! Incredible! There are humming birds all over the place as well. The rooms are comfortable and clean and with the exception of the phone, everything has always worked just fine. We have never had a problem with anything missing from our luggage.They go out of their way to make you feel welcome. If you haven't booked tours in advance, no worries, just talk to Selim at the tour desk. He can arrange anything for you from there. Be sure to take the horseback ride!! The guide (Marvin) was knowledgeable and friendly. He pointed out lots of wildlife that we probably would not have seen without his help. Also, the horses are well kept and you can tell they are loved. Very healthy and well behaved. Back to the resort - I have not tried the spa there (or anywhere else) so can't speak to that, otherwise, I really like the place and the price is very reasonable. The restaurant is good and prices are great for the quality and freshness of the food. If you don't like to or can't walk, just let the desk know a bit in advance - 20 minutes or so, that you'd like a lift to the restaurant of gift shop. By the way, I visited some of the "cheap price" markets and found the prices in the gift shop there to be cheaper. They have some really nice wooden puzzle boxes and many other nice and unique items. I really didn't want this to sound like a commercial, but I'm always the first to complain when resorts/hotels don't meet my expectations so I think it's only right to compliment the ones that go out of their way and or are a great value. I would, and will stay here again. Oh, some people complain about the location. True, it really isn't within walking distance to town but I like the fact that it's off the beatin tourist path. Cabs are reasonable and there are a couple of nice restaurants in town but they are no cheaper than the Ti-Cain restaurant at the Arenal Springs. Over all, I don't think you can beat this place for value but if you DO experience a problem, tell them and they will fix it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

This is an excellent location amid beautiful flowers, and at the base of Arenal Volcano.

• Stayed November 2009
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

Stayed here with 3 woman friends in November. Booked in August and asked for adjoining rooms, but when we arrived, were told that was not possible because they were full (saw lots of empty cabins). Breakfast was good the first day, but the second, they were out of yogurt and only gave you bananas if you asked. Not many tourist buses that day, so maybe they were cutting back. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were fun with the rain watering the plants.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We started our stay in Costa Rica at Arenal Springs. We booked through Latin Destinations; and we thought it was a great place to stay. No bugs (keep your door closed), no smells, just a lovely location and a chance to escape from the hectic pace.

The concierge service was friendly and connected us with affordable guided tours of the volcano and a wild life reserve near the Nicarauguan border, both interesting and unique. The grounds and the pool are well kept and lovely; and, as expected there is a great view of Arenal Volcano from everywhere in the hotel. You can also get to the nearby town of La Fortuna for a break from the hotel restaurant, which has a wonderful buffet breakfast, but could use some menu updates, particularly for lunch.

The staff was typical of all the people we met in Costa Rica, warm and friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Arenal Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!