“Out of this world” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Arenal Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 km west of Catholic Church of La Fortuna | Near Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Out of this world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed here during part of our honeymoon. I was utterly taken away by every aspect of this place. I know we got a deal staying here booking through mycostaricalink.com. We were upgraded to what seemed like the best suite in the place. Outside our bathroom window and comfy balcony we could see the Arenal volcano (when the clouds broke a bit). The room was so nice inside. I like how you put your room key in this thing which allowed the rest of the room to receieve power - yes I am an environmentalist at heart and can appreciate little things like this and how they can make a difference. We had a ginormous bed, a well functioning AC machine that ran quietly, a nice soaker tub, and a good area to sit back and read while sipping coffee. Most of the staff were very friendly. The ones at the front were very friendly. The only ones that had a bit of attitude were in the gift shop (made to feel like I was a burden to them while they were visiting with their friend and all I wanted to do was buy a soda). There was a nice pool there. There was massage services available but the hours were not good as we were doing activities all day and when I came back all sore I could not get this nasty kink worked out of my back - I guess that is much more my fault then theirs. Their restuarant was amazing and our waiter was the friendliest during our trip and we did meet many that were excellent. An after dinner coffee sitting on their couch looking out at the volcano felt so surreal. I like that the security there checked in each vehicle and tried to keep creepers away from bringing prostitutes back to the facility - so if that's your cup of tea you probably wouldn't like it there. Me though, I felt like I was in a classy joint. There seemed to be a lot of really great places in the La Fortuna/Arenal area but I would not want to go anywhere else if I were to go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from our 5th visit to Costa Rica and 4th visit to this property. We've always liked it but it has gotten even better. If you are into nature you'll enjoy the grounds. On one visit I hiked for days in hopes to see a Chestnut Mandibled Toucan. Guess what I saw just outside of my room - only 5-6 feet away, eating bananas!! Incredible! There are humming birds all over the place as well. The rooms are comfortable and clean and with the exception of the phone, everything has always worked just fine. We have never had a problem with anything missing from our luggage.They go out of their way to make you feel welcome. If you haven't booked tours in advance, no worries, just talk to Selim at the tour desk. He can arrange anything for you from there. Be sure to take the horseback ride!! The guide (Marvin) was knowledgeable and friendly. He pointed out lots of wildlife that we probably would not have seen without his help. Also, the horses are well kept and you can tell they are loved. Very healthy and well behaved. Back to the resort - I have not tried the spa there (or anywhere else) so can't speak to that, otherwise, I really like the place and the price is very reasonable. The restaurant is good and prices are great for the quality and freshness of the food. If you don't like to or can't walk, just let the desk know a bit in advance - 20 minutes or so, that you'd like a lift to the restaurant of gift shop. By the way, I visited some of the "cheap price" markets and found the prices in the gift shop there to be cheaper. They have some really nice wooden puzzle boxes and many other nice and unique items. I really didn't want this to sound like a commercial, but I'm always the first to complain when resorts/hotels don't meet my expectations so I think it's only right to compliment the ones that go out of their way and or are a great value. I would, and will stay here again. Oh, some people complain about the location. True, it really isn't within walking distance to town but I like the fact that it's off the beatin tourist path. Cabs are reasonable and there are a couple of nice restaurants in town but they are no cheaper than the Ti-Cain restaurant at the Arenal Springs. Over all, I don't think you can beat this place for value but if you DO experience a problem, tell them and they will fix it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

This is an excellent location amid beautiful flowers, and at the base of Arenal Volcano.

• Stayed November 2009
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

Stayed here with 3 woman friends in November. Booked in August and asked for adjoining rooms, but when we arrived, were told that was not possible because they were full (saw lots of empty cabins). Breakfast was good the first day, but the second, they were out of yogurt and only gave you bananas if you asked. Not many tourist buses that day, so maybe they were cutting back. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were fun with the rain watering the plants.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We started our stay in Costa Rica at Arenal Springs. We booked through Latin Destinations; and we thought it was a great place to stay. No bugs (keep your door closed), no smells, just a lovely location and a chance to escape from the hectic pace.

The concierge service was friendly and connected us with affordable guided tours of the volcano and a wild life reserve near the Nicarauguan border, both interesting and unique. The grounds and the pool are well kept and lovely; and, as expected there is a great view of Arenal Volcano from everywhere in the hotel. You can also get to the nearby town of La Fortuna for a break from the hotel restaurant, which has a wonderful buffet breakfast, but could use some menu updates, particularly for lunch.

The staff was typical of all the people we met in Costa Rica, warm and friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

My sister and I enjoyed our stay at Arenal Springs Resort. The cabins are simple, nice and clean (although I wouldn't want to stay near the back of the property as it would be far to walk!) I noticed some reviews mentioned bugs and smells -- we thankfully had neither! Our view from the porch (loved the rocking chairs) was magnificant of the volcano. However, you can only see lava from the opposite side of the volcano from the hotel. The restaurant was pretty good with decent prices. Gift shop was useful (except for not having much needed aloe!) Staff was very friendly.

Negatives - no hot springs (despite the name), no hotel transportation provided so to eat in La Fortuna or elsewhere costs a taxi ride, not within walking distance to explore.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
ArenalVolcano79, Manager at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
We want to thank you share your comments about your experience at Hotel Arenal Springs.

Regards
Manager
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Someone else mentioned that the rooms smelled of cat pee and that was the first thing I noticed when I walked in the rooms! The amount of bugs present was pretty annoying and we had to spray our beds with bug spray every night before going to bed. This was true of most hostels and low end hotels in CR though so we got used to it.

The A/C worked well but not enough towels were given and the safe was way too small to store your laptop. Also the fact that the internet was not available in the rooms was very annoying since you had to take a golf cart shuttle every time you wanted to go to the main lobby.

The breakfast was probably the only really good thing about this place as there was lots of variety and it was delicious. The restaurant and what they served for lunch/dinner was awful though! The service took WAY too long and once the food arrived both of our dishes were terrible. I had the ribs and my friend had fish with veggies..both disgusting and overly priced.

It was too cold to use the pool so instead I opted to do one of the massages and it really wasn't worth it for the price. The masseuse did not follow directions and for $75 an hour I expected a much more comfortable facility when instead it was just the back area of the hotel. I'd recommend spending your money on excursions (the ziplining in Arenal is great) instead of the spa.

Most of the time it was easy and quick to get a golf cart shuttle except on the morning of our check out (which was the most important since we had to catch our taxi). They were over a HALF HOUR late to pick us up from our room and they just brushed it off as being busy. We would've just walked the distance to the front desk ourselves but it was pouring rain and we had all of our luggage with us.

I would really only recommend this place for backpackers who were staying here just for a few short nights and were spending most of their time out doing excursions. Also only worth it if you can find a rate for less than $75 per night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Arenal Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!