“Nice Honeymoon Spot, Good + Bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Springs Resort and Spa

You added Arenal Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 km west of Catholic Church of La Fortuna | Near Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Monument, Colorado, United States
“Nice Honeymoon Spot, Good + Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Good part first:
My new husband and I stayed at Arenal Springs Resort for 4 days, 3 nights. We loved the hot springs, swim up sushi bar, and breakfast that was included. The made-to-order omelets were incredible, coupled with all the comfort food from home, plus exotic fruit & local fare. Love the Spa at this resort, we got a couple's massage and were impressed with the serenity of the location, as well as the professionalism of the spa staff - Great experience! Also the tour coordinator was amazing, and helped us pick just the right activities and times, so we could fit everything in and still relax. Excellent service in this regard!

Now the not-so-good part:
1.The safe in the room kept experiencing difficulty, even though we followed the re-set instructions. The power would fail, and we had to call maintenance more than once to manually open it. We finally gave up, and hid our valuables elsewhere in the room, which was uncomfortable.
2. The second morning, I went in the bathroom and closed the door. Upon trying to exit, I noticed that handle would turn, but not retract the closing mechanism in the doorknob. It was clearly broken. I banged and yelled until my husband, on the veranda, heard me and came inside. A maintenance man was called to get me out, and jimmied the door. Now, I'm not one to complain, and I can understand that things break, and that there are language barriers - but despite the inconvenience of being stuck in a bathroom, I was disappointed with the treatment. The multiple maintenance people treated us like we were stupid, and kept trying to explain how to use the doorknob. Well, I showed them how it was broken and he didn't believe me, so I literally went back in the bathroom and shut the door, and said from the other side "see? still broken! please replace the door handle". Only then did he call a second maintenance worker who brought a new doorknob. It was more frustrating to be treated like a dumb tourist, than it was to be locked in a bathroom.
3. The restaurant food was only so/so. There are only two restaurants to choose from, and both are exorbitantly expensive for small, average tasting portions.

Room Tip: Choose room number as low as possible, especially with small kids or elderly relatives. Rows extendi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hotel-arenal-springs, Guest Relations Manager at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hello dear friends, we note your comments and thank you with all our heart that you had to get the detail of your valuable time to remind us, all of your comments and suggestions are really important to us because it helps us to see and determine in what areas we need to work better and also in areas which are good, our dream and mission is to give all our guests the best possible experience here at our hotel, we know that there are millions of different opinions and that each person is different, so thanks to your comments we can help more people every day, we also appreciated that you chose us as your Hotel in Costa Rica and we hope in God to see you back soon.
from all workers in the Arenal Springs Hotel we thank you very much and God bless you always

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I am in Costa Rica for bussiness visiting hotels that we work with and I was impressed with the beauty of this hotel.

The room is beautiful and very comfortable, The service at the front desk while checking in is amazing

I ate at the sushi bar and I loved it!

I recommend this hotel for couples.

Room Tip: If you have the money or are a big spender and are traveling in a group try their master suites. AMA...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. This hotel has wonderful amenities such as beautiful grounds, hot springs with a swim-up bar, a spa and every room has a view of Mt Arenal. I had all of my meals at the restaurant and they even had a made-to-order omelet bar in the morning. There was also free WIFI in the rooms, but I was only able to access it one of the two days.

I wanted to mention the bathrooms. The shower is very large and it’s fantastic for older/disabled people to sit on the built-in seat. If you’re looking at the showerhead, there’s a leaf garden to the left. I’m sure it uses some of the liquid from the shower but it had an awning over it and ther was a gap between where the awning ended and the building began. I don’t know if this was intentional or not. We think that some of the bugs entered the room through this manner. We then kept the bathroom door shut the rest of the time that we were there. Just an FYI.

My wish-list item for this hotel includes two things: a mat for the entrance to the rooms and thicker walls. Each “building” consists of two rooms side by side. There are tiles on the front porch and the inside is constructed of the same tiles. I realize that the property doesn’t want people walking around in their rooms wearing shoes, but there’s not even a place to wipe your feet/shoes to leave at the door. It rained both days I was there and I hated to take my shoes inside the room. Those tiles are slippery! I would have left them outside under the overhang and on the mat (if there was one) instead of bringing them inside if it was an option. This is a minor thing but it would have been nice to have.

As I mentioned, the walls were extremely thin. I could clearly hear a conversation about a wife telling her husband to be careful in the shower and not to forget to bring the shampoo in with him. I could hear their TV, too. I know some hotels usually have thin walls but this was some of the thinnest that I’ve ever experienced. Just a warning.

I would recommend that anyone stay at this place if they were in the area. Just bring house slippers and beware of what you say. Also, note that for the power in the room to be turned on, you must put your key in the wall as soon as you enter and the power will go off after you leave when you take your key with you. I would have liked to have been informed of all these things before I stayed here, so I hope I can pass this on to someone else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in la fortuna. The hotel was very nice! First you entered through a security gate to the property which I liked. You also wear band to identify you as a hotel guest.

The room was clean with great beds and toiletries. We had some ants invade so make sure there is no food laying around! This hotel practices green energy saving practice, it was annoying that the fridge would turn off once we left the room ( the room key turns power on the the room). We ended up asking for 2 hotel keys.

The property is well maintained with a fabulous hot springs pool and swim up bar. Sushi bar too but we didn't try it.

Breakfast ok buffet style. Please cover the fruit!! Flies all over it! Otherwise the other dishes were covered.

The restaurant is expensive and the food is not that good. We drove into town (5 mins away) for cheaper better tasting food.

There is a concierge to help with activity planning.

• Stayed September 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Celebrated a memorable birthday with family.
Everything was just perfect.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
A great birding location. Even the beautiful gardens were full of birdlife
Rooms were very comfortable
Absolutely loved my stay in Arenal

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lemoore, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a nice property but the bed was hard as a board and I was told all the beds on the property were that way and there wasn't much they could do. I asked for more bedding so I could layer. Interestingly, the next night I had a thin pad added to our bed by the staff but it didn't help much. At least they tried. The walls were paper thin between the rooms so we could hear everything next door. Needles to say, no romance going on in our room because of this. Good breakfast brunch though!

Room Tip: Hard beds, little privacy with thin walls between rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This resort is beautiful. The birds and flowers are plenty and varied. The hot pools are all over the place with different temperatures to please everyone. There is also a refreshing cold pool.The rooms were big and very cleanl. You get a great view of the volcano from your bed so you can make this the first thing you see when you open your eyes is you keep the curtains open. The sushi restaurant is very nice and the cocktails are yummy at the pool bar. We had to call for service in the room a couple of times and they came right away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hotel-arenal-springs, Guest Relations Manager at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2013

Been to Arenal Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!