“Fun Tree Houses experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica
300 Meters Norte de Cementerio de la Florencia | Santa Clara, San Carlos, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Kansas
“Fun Tree Houses experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My family of five stayed at Tree Houses in the Hummingbird tree house for 2 nights in March 2013.

The treehouse was clean, comfortable, and reasonably spacious even for our family of five. We had a double bed, a full-over-double bunk, and a small mattress on the floor.

The windows all around the main room can be opened to the screen to allow a breeze and to hear the noises of the surrounding forest, or can be closed if you use the (very effective) air conditioner.

The shower windows are screened on two sides at eye level. Although we never really could get the warm water working, what a fun shower with the view and sounds of the forest all around!

You don't stay here for the room, or for the food, or for luxury, but for the experience.

I woke both mornings at first light, around 5:30, to the sounds of the animals. I sat on the deck with my coffee watching the birds eating the plantains, and one morning watching a large howler monkey do his thing.

The breakfasts were lovely (fruit, eggs, rolls, tico-style beans and rice), but they were over-shadowed by the setting of breakfast at the open-air Rancho, with bird feeders all around. Hummingbirds did their amazing dance all around us throughout breakfast.

Once, walking down the lane to Mark and Lucy's house, I saw a tiny howler monkey in the tree above the road and another in the next tree.

It was a restful and genuine-feeling place, and we enjoyed our two days there.

I had two regrets about the stay. One, we did not allow enough time for the hike to and from the waterfall and river pools. We didn't listen carefully to Mark when he said it was 45 minutes each way, and set out in mid-afternoon. By the time we dawdled along the path and reached the river, we had time only to stick our toes in and then had to turn around to reach our tree house before nightfall. Note: if you make the hike, apply bug spray plentifully!

Two, the night watchman had a night off our second night there, and I wish we'd taken the night hike with him on our first night. We were tired from a busy day of waterfall rappelling and opted out.

Overall, the hospitality and the setting were marvelous. I would highly recommend a visit.

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Tree Houses Hotel a couple of nights during out 10 day backpacking trip in Costa Rica, and it was wonderful. The management was very helpful, calling us taxis, scheduling tours/trips for us.

Inside, the tree houses are beautiful, clean, and comfortable. The staff brings you coffee/tea in the morning and places fruit on stands so the birds collect right on the front porch. Breakfast is served early, but it got us out of bed, and was delicious.

The treehouses are well separated from each other, so it's very quiet in the evening. We could stay up late talking and drinking without having to worry if other people were losing sleep because of us.

The night security guard, Rolando, took us on a night tour of the grounds, looking for sloths, ocelots, frogs, spiders, and other wildlife. He is such a nice guy, and very informed - he was able to answer every question we threw at him.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ham Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our family stayed at the Tree Houses for 3 nights. There were 3 of us. My husband, myself and our 12-year old son. Wish we would have stayed longer! Mark and Lucy are the best hosts. Mark was so good and answering emails right away, helped us with our tour reservations as well as lining up a driver for us to take us from the airport to the Tree Houses, and then to our next destination on the beach. The breakfasts were awesome. Fresh fruit and a different main dish every morning. The coffee waiting outside of our tree house in the mornings was great. I really enjoyed reading my book with a cup of coffee sitting on my deck listening to the rainforest come alive for the day. Tree Houses is a little off the beaten path, but well worth it for the unique experience. We couldn't have been happier!!! Thanks Mark & Lucy.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sloth house. There's a tree growing inside of this one! Very cool.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My family went to Costa Rica last week (March 2013) and our first 3 nights were in these tree houses. I asked my (adult) kids if they could change anything about our trip and they said they would have stayed in the tree houses longer. We stayed in the Toucan and The Yguirro tree houses. Both wonderful. But Mark and Lucy (managers) truly make your entire stay wonderful. It started with the excellent communication from them at the very start of my trip planning. They made excellent recommendations and let me modify them several times. The tours they helped me pick and then they booked them for us had terrific guides. The (free) night hike with Rolando (their night watchman) was the only time we saw a tree frog (the one on all the covers of the Costa Rica Travel books). He literally climbed into a tree 15 feet to get it for us to see. Lucy made us fresh bread for one of our excursions. They property is gorgeous. If you want a traditional, fancy, resort experience then don't stay here but then you are completely missing the point of going to Costa Rica any way! This tree house hotel is fun, different, exciting, and adventuresome....and you can even get massages if you want one. Thanks Mark and Lucy! Hope to come back soon.

Room Tip: Save a little time in your itinerary to take the hike on the trails that lead from their property. W...
Danielsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here 3 nights the beginning of March. Even though it rained the whole time we were there (it is a rainforest), we wish we would have stayed more nights! Mark and Lucy were so helpful from the first e-mail to the day we left their hotel. Anything that we needed as far as setting up excursions and rides, they were very helpful. The treehouse was beautiful and very interesting. We stayed in the Toucan, and my boyfriend really enjoyed his coffee that gets brought to your treehouse each morning. We were set up on two tours by mark, the whitewater rafting class 3/4 and ziplining tour, both of which were awesome! The breakfasts, which are included are excellent! The baked huervos rancheros was the best. Also the pizza that can be delivered directly to your treehouse was a good choice after a long day of traveling. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone I know that is traveling to Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Attleboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent three nights in the Tree Houses and were travelling with two other families in Costa Rica. Our group included parents, teenagers, and pre-teens and everyone loved it. Lucy and Mark were always helpful and gracious hosts. The tree houses were fantastic, both comfortable and interesting. We stayed in Yiquirro and enjoyed our coffee on the beautiful deck each morning.

We did two excursions during our stay and both were excellent. Mark arranged a zip-line tour that included 12 lines about a 40 minute drive from the tree houses. The staff there were also excellent. the second excursion was a trip to Rio Celeste waterfall led by local Juan Carlos (also set up by Mark). We had a fantastic day. Juan Carlos was informative and patient with our large group (like herding cats up a mountain). The drive was long but well worth it.

For dinner we went to a nearby restaurant (can't recall the name). Food and service was very good. So good in fact that we ate three meals there! On another night we had pizza delivered. It was sort of soft and fluffy pizza... not typical...but still yummy after a long day.

The breakfasts were fantastic. Fruit, little muffins and something more substantial like eggs or french toast... all beautifully prepared and delicious.

I can't say enough about Mark and Lucy's hospitality. We were treated with little surprises every time we saw them. They always had something special to share, kept their eyes out for animals to show us, and made us feel welcome. I highly recommend the Tree Houses to anyone looking for something a little different.

Room Tip: The Yiguirro Tree House has a large deck, is located far from the street, and has a couple of hammoc...
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I visited Tree Houses Hotel about a year ago. Due to availablity, we were only able to stay here one night. We are so glad that we decided to leave our nicer resort-type hotel that we stayed at for two nights to spend a night in the tree houses even though they were in similar areas. This is a once in a lifetime experience. I mean when else are you going to sleep in a tree house?

Here is what we loved about the place.

- We got massages on our tree house deck in the middle of the jungle. Who needs the nature sounds CD when you are actually in nature? Right after my massage a toucan flew by and sat in a tree straight ahead.

- There is some great hiking and a little swimming area on the property. There is a waterfall, we visited at the tailend of dry season so it was more like a trickle of water. It was very secluded

- There was a great little Italian restaurant down the street. It's pretty much the only place to eat in the area. After dinner, we came back to our tree house, drank some beer, and enjoyed sitting in nature.

- I would say one of my all time favorite memories from Costa Rica was waking up naturally with the sun the following morning and having coffee waiting for me right outside my door. I sat on the deck, sipping on my coffee while reading a book. It was amazingly relaxing. I would go back to this place just to have that moment again.

- Breakfast was very fresh and very delicious. Really, every meal we had in Costa Rica was amazing.

I would 100% recommend this place to others. It is a must do in Costa Rica! And to top it all off, the owners are extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Toucan Tree House and loved it!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica? Share your experiences!