We stayed at the Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa outside of La Fortuna. All our rooms had a view of the volcano. Although the volcano is inactive while we were there you can see it venting steam from the top and several lower vents in the forested area lower on the mountain. The first two days the top of the volcano was covered by clouds but on our last day it was clear and provided a spectacular view of the entire volcano from out rooms. Each room an in room hot tub with full view of the volcano. Rooms were very nicely appointed and clean. We recommend the second floor rooms because it gives you a much better view of the grounds, surrounding forest, and the volcano.
The on site hot spring spa pools are very well designed and look realistic. There are several pools linked with water falls between them. The hot springs vary from hot to very warm in the mornings and tend to warm to very warm in the late afternoon and evening but still very relaxing and can be very private. Our family used them every day. There are also two pools one is quite shallow (knee deep to maybe less than 12" at one end) for small children or sitting on the bottom and sunning and the other pool is 3-4 feet deep and can be used for lap swimming if not crowded.
There is a restaurant on site for breakfast which was include in our package. Breakfast was a excellent selection of food and fresh omelets. Dinner is also served in this restaurant but we would rate it as only average food for the price. We ate in La Fortuna two nights at better venues for the same price. There is a pool restaurant which was very good for lunch sandwiches and light meals during the day.
We took a taxi one day to Arenal Volcano National Park ($25 USD each way for 6 adults) and hiked the well marked trails on our own. Saw a lot of birds, some manuals, and monkeys plus a great walk through the rain forest and some good views of the volcano and lake.
Hotel arranged a river float trip for us with an experienced guide which could spot many birds, sloths, monkeys and lizards. It was a great trip which ended with a nice snack at a local family home.
Our entire trip was arranged through Costa Rica Vacations on line and customized to our needs and desires for Costa Rica. Our transport between San Jose Airport and Arenal and other destinations were by private vans for only our family of 6 adults. The ride from SJO to Arenal was all on paved roads and took a little over 3 hours. We highly recommend transport by private vans over local transport or larger buses.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Kioro offers a fabulous place with a natural viewpoint to the Arenal Volcano. The hotel has 27 acres of undulating land, surrounded by two streams (La Palma and Kioro) with crystalline waters that begin to flow in the Arenal Volcano National Park. It has two paths where plant species are identified. Besides, private thermal springs for our customer’s delight. All our suites have:Two terraces with the best panoramic volcano and mountain view, hydro-massage, air conditioning, safe deposit box, minibar, coffee maker, hot water, direct dialing telephone, satellite television, hair dryer, key card, safety locks, internet connections. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com and Venere so you can book your Arenal Kioro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Kioro Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Kioro Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park