“Arenal Favorite!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Volcano Inn

You added Arenal Volcano Inn to your Saves list
Arenal Volcano Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6.5 Km NW of the Catholic church, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Arenal Favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

First, I have to confess that I manage a hotel in the US, and so my standards may be different than everyone else writing a review.
But, let me tell you that this place will deliver the satisfaction you need if you are staying Costa Rica, and want spectacular views of the Volcano! The staff at this place deserves 5 stars out of 5, for being good at their job! I met the staff, and they are the most friendly people that I met in Costa Rica after a 13 day stay.......... From Fernandina, Alejuandra, and Marie (Super Hard Working Bartender). These people I would definitely hire to work at the property I manage in the US.

Let me tell you a little story about my experience here....
I woke up one morning a little late, and as I exited my room I found myself under seige by a swarm of very large wasp. After retreating back into my villa, I peaked out of the window to notice that a nest had been created just outside of my door on the ceiling. And these things were not your average wasp, they were freaking huge, at one point in time I thought I saw them drag a small child away!

Anyway, I scurried to the front desk and asked if there was anything that maintenance could do to about the problem. The attendant immediately got on the phone a called someone. In addition I mentioned that I had a problem with turning off a light above my bed.

I went back to my villa and within 5 minutes the maintenance and housekeeping were knocking at my door. Upon entrance the housekeeper asked me what the problems were and translated in spanish to the maintenance man. I told her about the problem with the light above my bed, which she kindly walked to the other side of the room and pushed a switch behind the headboard of the very bed with I had slept in, and said "Que?". I could say that the it seemed hidden, but it wasn't, I was just stupid, and she knew it! But she didn't say it, although she probably had every right too. The maintenance man was outside taking a peek at what the killer wasps were up too, and as I peered through the window, he gave me a glance that said "Wimpy American". Feeling ashamed I drifteded away from the window, and when I returned I noticed that he had disappeared, or so it seemed. After waiting 15 minutes, I took another look outside to notice that there was no maintenance man and that the wasps were still there. Thinking that he abandoned me to the fate of the killer wasps, I picked up the phone to call the front desk, but eventually I decided to wait and see. Another 15 minutes passed by and I eventually feel asleep to take a nap. I woke up about 30 minutes later and peered out of the window one more time to see that the wasp's nest had vanished and in it's place was a black spot with smoke coming out of it. My only conclusion was that the maintenance man called in the Costa Rican Air Force and it was bombed or napalmed!!?? I exited my door to find crispy wasps parts scattered on my porch, and I found no need to ask questions, since it was taken care of!

Anyway, here are my review points.....
1. Great customer service
2. Good breakfast
3. Huge rooms
4. Awesome views

Room Tip: I only stayed in a standard room, and it was amazing huge! Like a one bedroom apartment in most cit...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Kaufman, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

If you're looking for breathtaking views and seclusion this place is it!!! You stay in a little villa, total guests are minimal, and the views of the volcano are gorgeous. The staff is super friendly and willing to help in any way possible. The food is decent and it's only a 5 min taxi ride into town. We loved the place and would highly recommend to those looking for something other than a giant hotel or hotel chain.

Room Tip: They have villas both close to the pool and ones far away so depending on what you like you can ask...
Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Arenal isn't only a magical spot, it's a unique place to experience many of the incredible activities and sights Costa Rica has to offer. This hotel is the perfect launch pad to your Arenal adventures. With impressive grounds, once in a lifetime view, hot tub & pool, clean rooms, hospitable & helpful staff, and a dynamite restaurant, the Arenal Volcano Inn gives you access to and a restful atmosphere to enjoy one of the natural wonders of the world.

Stayed August 2014
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is seriously one of the friendliest places I have ever stayed in. The people who work the front desk always have a warm smile and were so kind in helping me print out my boarding pass. The breakfast is great!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Arenal Volcano Inn on our Honeymoon and loved every minute.
The resort is quite a way outside of the main town so probably not the best place to stay if you don't have a car or you like to be in the heart of everything.
The rooms and facilities on site a fantastic and the views of the Volcano (when you can see it!) make up for the remote location.
The restaurant on site provides amazing food in the evening however it is slightly more pricy than other establishments in town but worth it if you don't fancy the drive.
If you are considering booking a tour the hotel provides these but there seems to be an added charge so definitely head into town to book... It saved us $40 on one tour alone.
We travelled in the wet season and did lots of tours which resulted in lots of wet and dirty clothes, again the Hotel provides laundry however it is very expensive... We paid $50 for a large bag.
The staff are all friendly and courteous and can not do enough for you. If you like a clean, modern and friendly hotel then this won't disappoint.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Excellent accommodation, separate cabins, well furnished with comfy beds and pillows.fridge, tea/coffee maker. Breakfasts excellent, fresh fruit, varied hot food selection, no limit. Abundant wildlife (yellow fly catchers, iguanas,hummingbirds).Dining room spacious and décor was typical of being in the wild (wooden furniture, comfy, a woodie's delight). Pool was not very deep, but large and the hot spa was very nice. A separate health club spa was also available with reasonable prices. On a clear day you can see Arenal volcano.Lovely gardens and landscaped terraces.

Room Tip: All cabins are value for money without having all the trappings of a five star hotel.
Pittsburg, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed at the Arenal Volcano Inn in La Fortuna for a couple of nights and I would have to say that this hotel was a highlight of our trip to Costa Rica. The property was well manicured and maintained beautifully. We stayed in the first row of rooms closest to the pool where we had a spectacular view of Arenal Volcano (when it was not foggy, LOL).
The room was very basic, but it worked very well as I would assume most people are there to enjoy the local views and not to stay in their rooms. One item to mention about the room is that a card is required to power the room. You have to have a card inserted into a slot near the door to have electricity to the room. I guess they do this to conserve energy? Was not a big deal, just something I thought I would mention.
We felt safe and secure at all times; they had a security guard walking the premises. All hotel guests are asked to wear a wrist band. One night while walking around the hotel, guard just looked at my wrist, smiled and went on his way.
The onsite restaurant was very nice. They had brick oven baked pizzas, ice cream and overall good food. They provide a breakfast which was great! It included your typical rice, beans, pancakes and fruits. When visiting CR, you just need to get it in your head that you will be eating beans and rice at every meal….. Oh and the bar does have a buy one, get one drink special during Happy Hour! Get a Guaro Sour, sit back, relax and forget the real world for a few days.
Staff was great and very helpful for all of our needs. Would highly recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Arenal Volcano Inn? Share your experiences!