“Lovely quiet lodging with great views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Volcano Inn

Save Saved
You added Arenal Volcano Inn to your Saves list
Arenal Volcano Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6.5 Km NW of the Catholic church, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 6793-1000, Costa Rica   |
Martinez, California
“Lovely quiet lodging with great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here earlier this month as part of a tour group. Had room 100, which is a small building all by itself (with a sitting area on the patio outside and a picnic table nearby) and near the handicapped parking. I evidently got this room after notifying the tour company that I had mobility issues.

The grounds are very nice. Verdant plantings and well laid out for wandering. It is on hills though so that provided a challenge to me, as I can't do inclines well. Also, having a handicapped unit evidently came with something else which proved very frustrating --- no phone in the unit. Not even the wiring for a phone. None of us (including the staff) could figure out why a handicapped unit would have no phone, when everyone else did and the situation got worse as I had to walk the hills several times to work with the front desk as to what I would do without a phone. The staff was very sweet about it and tried to loan me a cell phone but that didn't work either. They seemed to have no clue as to why the unit didn't have a phone.

Beyond that, the place has a beautiful full view of the volcano from the large front windows and my unit was comfortable, though very basic. Tile floors, two fairly-hard queen beds, an in-room safe, fully stocked mini-bar (bottle of wine = $18...other items equally as expensive), hair dryer, etc. Evidently, the handicapped room was "special" (based on what others reported) in that it had a 32" flat screen TV mounted high on the wall, while other group members had a non-flat-screen on a table. The alarm clock/radio was completely non-functional so with no phone and not bringing an alarm clock, that posed another challenge with the tour schedule.

The room was large, with virtually no decor. Free wireless, but no place to put my small laptop. No desk -- just one miniscule night stand. I guess they were leaving room for a wheelchair, even though I didn't use one. Shower was a roll-in --- very large. Good water temp and pressure. My favorite shower of the 10-day trip.

Breakfast was a small buffet. Not as good as some but enough to tide one over, with eggs and gallo pinto and pancakes and bread and fruit and cereal. No omelet station or yogurt as we'd had at other hotels on the trip. The restaurant evidently has some great pizza later on in the day, based on reports from several group members.

The Inn is about two miles away from the town of La Fortuna, which can be reached by a taxi for 4,000 colones ($8USD). We wandered the town for 5 hours and found plenty of restaurants, coffee houses and shops to amuse us, not to mention the pure wonder of watching the clouds and the volcano playing tag with each other. Photo ops supreme.

Would like to give the Inn a full 5-circle but can't with the frustration of no phone (and no explanation as to why not and no attempt to switch my room, even though I reported it immediately) and no place to get ice (except for walking up that darned hill to the bar). My (handicapped) accommodations were basic and stark (more so than the rooms in the pictures), but the grounds are beautiful and the clean, attractive pool/hot tub got great reviews from my fellow travelers.

Room Tip: Don't get the handicapped room (100) if you need to be reached by phone. There isn't one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel for the size and standard of the rooms (though the bathrooms are a little "dated"), the incredible birds in the grounds, the lovely friendly reception and restaurant staff, the views of Arenal volcano (from our bed!!) and the feeling of absolute tranquility. During our three week tour of Costa Rica we spent a day doing absolutely nothing here - catching up on e-mails using wi-fi in our room, wandering around the grounds and trying to photograph the hummingbirds in the bush by our room door - bliss!!

Seattle, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Dropped off after dark, walking up the winding sidewalk to the top of the hill where my "room" was located, left me in wonderment. I was solo, it was late, I was leaving early in the morning....why such a fancy looking place for the brief night!? Then the door was opened; I had my own little cabin. There was a KING sized bed! just for me. A kitchen area, just for me. A love seat next to the bed, just for me. The bathroom was good size, especially when you consider it had a Jacuzzi!!
Looking pretty cool, right?! WRONG! the ceiling fan could not be made to work by anyone. The tub was lined with dead bugs! and the faucet to get ANY water turned on was way across on the other side of it....basically, even with long arms, I had to crouch down and climb over through the tub to turn on the water. THE WATER NEVER HEATED UP....night or morning.
It was warm outside, the fan was instrumental as I do not want A/C cold air and NOISE blowing on me all night. The toilet plugged up ASAP! seems they are ECO friendly, having very small openings for "crap" to flush through the toilet system! ALL paper is to be put in the garbage can which is cool and fine, but something had been left in the toilet, so when I got to flushing it....it wouldn't go down! So much for "glitter" ambiance! Once morning unveiled itself, I could hear birds singing! rather than road noise. Praise Be! and the coffee by the breakfast buffet actually tasted like coffee (go figure, you'd think being in a country that grows lots of coffee, there would be a drink that tastes like it came from a bush! but nope, not always). Having use of a computer to check on the next days lodging was welcomed. Since I paid for the room with a tour group, I do not know of its value or cost. It could have been lovely, but I felt like I got the last thing available that had not been checked on in a month.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Avimanager, Owner at Arenal Volcano Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Val M,

I am the owner of Arenal Volcano Inn and your comment was not only a surprise but also a very negative
comment about our hotel. We gave you for your brief night stay a free upgrade to the best room of our hotel that is our Jacuzzi Suite that has the best location within our hotel, offering the possibility of getting a very nice view of the Arenal Volcano on a clear day. It is as you mention located on the top of a small hill, so it gives you privacy and very good view of the area. About the fan not working this is definitely the first time it ever happens in that room. We have two water heating systems, one solar and the backup is electrical and if reported by the guest we try to fixed immediately when possible. The A/C of that room is mini split and recently bought so it is a very silent air that may be regulated to the clients preferred temperature and air blowing pressure, it also may be used only as fan if required. I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenients that you experience during your stay. If you come back in the future for a longer stay we will all make our best to guarantee you a pleasant and unforgettable stay at our hotel.
West Bend, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel offered a beautiful view of the volcano which was visible the first day that we were there. Beautiful gardens surround the rooms and the modern pool and jacuzzi. The restaurant was very nice with reasonable prices. The included breakfast buffet was excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Really nice hotel, with absolutely cute private bungalows! Also the garden with flowers and hummingbirds was beautiful. The restaurant was also good. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

These private bungalows with patios facing Arenal Volcano are wonderful. The pathways through the property are lined with gorgeous flowers, butterflies and hummingbirds. The bungalows themselves are very nice and are so peaceful. The stars at night look like diamonds in the sky. Surprisingly, the restaurant is known for its wood fired pizza which is quite good. The included breakfast buffet is super and includes rice and beans, picadillo, eggs, yogurt, meat, cheese, empanadas, pancakes, toast, fresh fruit, cereal...in other words, a huge variety that should be able to satisfy anyone's wishes. I can't understand the reviews that say the breakfast offered a limited choice. I would definitely return to this inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We enjoyed our 2 day stay here. Room was nice and we got a view of the Volcano without any clouds! Staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Food was good in the restaurant. Breakfast was fine and they cooked eggs to order if you asked. Pool was nice and staff turned on hot tub on request. Would recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Arenal Volcano Inn? Share your experiences!