I stayed here earlier this month as part of a tour group. Had room 100, which is a small building all by itself (with a sitting area on the patio outside and a picnic table nearby) and near the handicapped parking. I evidently got this room after notifying the tour company that I had mobility issues.
The grounds are very nice. Verdant plantings and well laid out for wandering. It is on hills though so that provided a challenge to me, as I can't do inclines well. Also, having a handicapped unit evidently came with something else which proved very frustrating --- no phone in the unit. Not even the wiring for a phone. None of us (including the staff) could figure out why a handicapped unit would have no phone, when everyone else did and the situation got worse as I had to walk the hills several times to work with the front desk as to what I would do without a phone. The staff was very sweet about it and tried to loan me a cell phone but that didn't work either. They seemed to have no clue as to why the unit didn't have a phone.
Beyond that, the place has a beautiful full view of the volcano from the large front windows and my unit was comfortable, though very basic. Tile floors, two fairly-hard queen beds, an in-room safe, fully stocked mini-bar (bottle of wine = $18...other items equally as expensive), hair dryer, etc. Evidently, the handicapped room was "special" (based on what others reported) in that it had a 32" flat screen TV mounted high on the wall, while other group members had a non-flat-screen on a table. The alarm clock/radio was completely non-functional so with no phone and not bringing an alarm clock, that posed another challenge with the tour schedule.
The room was large, with virtually no decor. Free wireless, but no place to put my small laptop. No desk -- just one miniscule night stand. I guess they were leaving room for a wheelchair, even though I didn't use one. Shower was a roll-in --- very large. Good water temp and pressure. My favorite shower of the 10-day trip.
Breakfast was a small buffet. Not as good as some but enough to tide one over, with eggs and gallo pinto and pancakes and bread and fruit and cereal. No omelet station or yogurt as we'd had at other hotels on the trip. The restaurant evidently has some great pizza later on in the day, based on reports from several group members.
The Inn is about two miles away from the town of La Fortuna, which can be reached by a taxi for 4,000 colones ($8USD). We wandered the town for 5 hours and found plenty of restaurants, coffee houses and shops to amuse us, not to mention the pure wonder of watching the clouds and the volcano playing tag with each other. Photo ops supreme.
Would like to give the Inn a full 5-circle but can't with the frustration of no phone (and no explanation as to why not and no attempt to switch my room, even though I reported it immediately) and no place to get ice (except for walking up that darned hill to the bar). My (handicapped) accommodations were basic and stark (more so than the rooms in the pictures), but the grounds are beautiful and the clean, attractive pool/hot tub got great reviews from my fellow travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal volcano Inn is a 25 rooms hotel surrounded by exotic gardens that can be admired from the tranquility of your room or by taking a small walk on its natural trails. Every guest may enjoy the view of the Arenal Volcano from its own terrace. Come visit us and make Arenal Volcano Inn your home while vacationing in Costa Rica. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your Arenal Volcano Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Volcano Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Hotel Arenal Volcano
- Arenal Volcano Inn Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park