“Looks great, Bedbugs in different rooms, awful service minded management, Weird wibe” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Backpackers Resort

You added Arenal Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Arenal Backpackers Resort
350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vaasa, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

After 3 backpacking trips, living in some bad places, and now I finally got bedbugs in my bed in a Backpacker "Resort". Second night i slept in the lounge area because I saw the bugs and found the eggs. The whole mattres was infested. Fine, No money back, no apology, they did not even go an look at the room first First they did not want to send our clothes to the cleaners. But after much complaining they told they can send everything that fits in one plastic bag!! for the both of us !?There is no point in washing just a part of the clothes. After I told the other people in the room about the bugs they cleaned the room and put new people in it. We got another room and went through the mattresses and found more, We complained and no money back. We just got another room in the other house with new mattresses. That was the last night at that place, Me and the other backpackers left the next day. Also i dont know if it was a bad weekend but the whole hostel just had a weird wibe about it, not really like a social hostel on other places.
Sure it was nice and clean and good price. But that really did not help.
And just to point out, damn 20 bedbug bites itches a lot !!
Thanks to the other backpackers that helped me with this problem

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

First time visiting La Fortuna and stayed for a total if 3 nights. Rooms were clean and the crews do a great job keeping common areas clean and the pool was really nice to have as well. There are plenty of places to hang out and chill around reception area and great WiFi too! This was the 2nd time I have stayed in a hostel and it definitely had different vibe (if any), than my first hostel experience (in Tamarindo)... but just seemed very quite, in and around the "commons" area as I personally enjoy exchanging pleasantries especially when traveling.

Re:Location,I would have preferred being a bit closer to center of town... Its Not really far, but sometimes when heading back at night from town, I can see where one could feel a bit vulnerable at certain points on the way back. While no problems arose and everything was just fine, I had thought of a few folks I know who would not have felt particularly fond of the walk back if alone...

One of MY Favorite things was their restaurant... I thought the food was fantastic. Tried the breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everything I tried tasted fresh and was really good.

All in all, I think it's a very good place to stay... and if you get a taxi, mAke sure the meter works and is running.

• Stayed February 2015
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Located in the heart of La Fortuna offers a great price per night. 10 kms away from thermal waters and 30 kms from local amenities.

Rooms are simple but nice; good parking lot; 24/7 security and CCTV;

Prices for food and drinks are cheap; it has a nice pool and good areas to relax.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I take full responsibility for booking a backpacking resort for a family vacation. This was my error. Believe I learned my lesson! In my defense, there are many reviews on TripAdvisor that state this facility is good for families. For the record, it IS NOT. Posted quiet hours are 11PM. This was not at all observed during our stay. The bar stayed open, blaring music until all hours of the night. Patrons at the bar were screaming and shouting and playing drinking games until early in the morning. I sound like a grandmother. I understand this. I just want to warn any other family from staying here. It is not good for travelers with children. Or people who sleep.

My husband finally went down to try to speak to an employee at around 1AM. Nobody would help him. They nodded and turned around and served another drink. We checked out early the next morning, a day early, and asked for a refund for the night we weren't remaining. They refused. They will not return any communication I've submitted for a refund of the one night. Don't stay here. It's dark and creepy and weird and the wifi doesn't work except in the bar. Kind of.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I really liked the double room we'd booked - comfy bed, nice balcony with a good view of Arenal, clean and spacious. Our room was right on the end of the block so we were next to trees, so we could watch birds from bed. However, the walls are really thin so you hear everyone else in their rooms - not a big deal but haven't stayed in a place with walls this thin for a long time.

I would say the hostel is pretty average. I'd booked online and paid but staff couldn't find my booking. Staff were not super helpful - not like they are in most places in Costa Rica. I had just stayed at Pension Santa Elena in Monteverde which had a great super chilled vibe, but not much vibe here.

Overall it was fine, but I would definitely not call this place the "five star resort" they like to bill themselves as.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at this place for 2 nights, in tents. There was some confusion upon check-in but was quickly resolved. Staff was friendly and helpful with any questions that we had. There was so much to do at this place if you were just wanting to hangout for the afternoon (which we didn't really do). There was a little playground/outdoor gym type area, slackline, hammocks, dangerous trampoline, pool. It was a pretty chill place to be. They had a bar which closed pretty early and they didn't do a "last call" before closing.... possibly they don't do that anywhere in Costa Rica? They offer food here too but it seemed expensive for what was offered so we ate at restaurants in town during our stay. The showers/bathrooms were clean. Make sure you use the hot showers, there are cold ones as well and they are not marked. The hot ones are beside the locker area. Also they do loan out locks but it's probably best to bring your own. Our tent was nice and cozy, the bottom piece didn't zip properly, so there was the potential for critters but we didn't see any.The grounds are gated and there is always someone at the desk to buzz you in. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I like the sitting area in the hostel, it’s a great place to sit back with a beer and meet fellow travelers. The front desk was helpful in booking our excursions and the food/drinks are cheap. We had a private room with an ensuite bathroom, it was clean and quiet and the beds comfy. The location was great too, just a short walk from a

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Arenal Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!