“Cleanest hostel ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Backpackers Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Arenal Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Arenal Backpackers Resort
350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Munich, Germany
“Cleanest hostel ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hostel really doesn´t feel like a hostel at all. Its more like a hotel! It is super clean.
We stayed one of the tents and it was just great! They have proper beds. The only thing that anoys is that they don´t have a kitchen, but the great pool area compensates everything.
We really enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: Take one of the tents!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in a private double with shared bathroom.

Room - bit dark and dingy with no hanging storage but aircon available. It was OK.

Facilities - great to have a pool. Bar area and catering good. Clean. Wifi. Travel desk. Freddie at reception helpful and lovely.

Location - great, a 5 minute stroll into town.

Recommended - the restaurant up the road, local, can't remember its name, calls itself a steakhouse, but great casados.

Activities - La Fortuna Waterfall visit / Horse riding (though was dubious how well the horses were looked after - the company the hostel booked with who are meant to be very good sub-contracted to another); ziplining (supposedly better in Monteverde but I didn;t have time to go); Hot springs (not great alone as solo traveller, but relaxing)

In September when I went it tended to rain heavily from around 2-3pm, so better to do activities in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

we stayed there this past August. i found this lodge to be the cleaniest hotel we had during our stay in Costa Rica. Diego, the manager, was very kind and Carlos, works in maintenance, was very kind ... he showed us some frogs that lived close by the hotel! our little daughter had a blast!!! although this is a¨"party" hostel and play music all day in the swimming pool area, the rooms are sound proof and have A/C so we didn´t hear any noice when we wanted to rest during the afternoon. we would definetely repeat! they had brand new tents as well ...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed 8/30 ~ 9/3 Thusday ~ Tuesday. The hotel staff has to be the most friendliest I have ever met anywhere in the world. Freddie Rocks! His advise on tourist activities was right on the money. We ziplined, whitewater rafted, Baldi hot springs, ATV riding and took his suggestions on local diners. All were excellent.

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms for the air conditioner. Room 0 is closest to bar - music area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in a tent at this La Fortuna Hostel during our Costa Rica vacation. The Hostel itself is located at the noisy main street to the Arenal National Park, has a swimming pool, a tent area and a main building. The tents are a great idea and offer a great experience.

BUT:

+ despite the hostel regulations (quiet time 10pm, pool hours end an 11pm) the noise at this hostel is insane. Drunk people screaming and shouting and jumping into the pool until 3 am, loud stereotypical "happy sunshine reggea music" from the morning until 3am.
+ Don't expect competent or true answers from the staff. They'll tell you anything, just to book at their hostel (busses, tours, etc) and try to misguide you more than often. They told us false stories and prices about "Eco Thermales Hot Springs" because they get commission at "Baldi Hot Springs". They also din't tell us the truth about the "Jeep Boat Jeep Tours" to Monteverde.

If you're like us, wanting to catch some sleep at night to get up early for outdoor activities, don't stay in this hostel. The bunk rooms seem to be worse than the tents, because they are located right in front of the pool area and count 4 bunk beds (!!!!) in a very tiny room. The staff isn't friendly as well and no breakfast is not included.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

In June when I was in Costa Rica I booked to stay at Arenal Backpacker's Resort in a shared female dorm. The resort confirmed my booking by email and so I turned up looking forward to my stay at the Backpacker's Resort, having heard good things about it. I sensed when giving my name at reception, that something was wrong. The male receptionist was hesitant and I advised him I had a booking and reiterated my name. He eventually said that I could not stay in a shared female dorm...and I reminded him that I had had a confirmation of my booking for this accommodation.

The sum of it from what I could gather from the embarrassed and uncomfortable receptionist (who had to telephone the manager about the matter...and who did not come down to sort out the situation himself) was that they had obviously received a request for the female dorm from a group of people, and obviously my one booking stood in the way of what was obviously a better deal for the Resort. Hence I was 'bumped'. I was offered a single room at a reduced rate, but the reason for my booking a shared dorm was to save the money on accommodation to spend on sightseeing trips in the area. I decided that I did not want to spend the extra money on a single room - but more so - I decided by then I did not want to stay at the Resort. I felt their behaviour in not honouring a confirmed booking (and being upfront about the reason) was morally wrong. In the end they did me a favour, because I believe I ended up somewhere far better....... the Arenal Hostel Resort.

I was lucky to have found and stayed at the Arenal Hostel Resort What a difference! I cannot praise the Resort too highly. The people were very friendly, I was provided with a cocktail on arrival, given a pleasant and very clean shared female dormitory, all the information I could wish for about what to do in the area, and on top of that the Resort had a lovely garden with hammocks and a pool with a bar. In summary a very friendly and chill place to stay.

Room Tip: when booking make sure that you have a confirmed email stating that your room is guaranteed.
Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Adamstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The rooms look wonderful and for a hostel this is more like a hotel. The staff were so helpful with helping us get transportation the following day after our initial plan fell through. Only complaint is it is loud at night. Especially when you have to be up at 4am

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Arenal Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!