“Totally Awesomeness” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Backpackers Resort

Save Saved
You added Arenal Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Arenal Backpackers Resort
350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“Totally Awesomeness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed 8/30 ~ 9/3 Thusday ~ Tuesday. The hotel staff has to be the most friendliest I have ever met anywhere in the world. Freddie Rocks! His advise on tourist activities was right on the money. We ziplined, whitewater rafted, Baldi hot springs, ATV riding and took his suggestions on local diners. All were excellent.

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms for the air conditioner. Room 0 is closest to bar - music area.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in a tent at this La Fortuna Hostel during our Costa Rica vacation. The Hostel itself is located at the noisy main street to the Arenal National Park, has a swimming pool, a tent area and a main building. The tents are a great idea and offer a great experience.

BUT:

+ despite the hostel regulations (quiet time 10pm, pool hours end an 11pm) the noise at this hostel is insane. Drunk people screaming and shouting and jumping into the pool until 3 am, loud stereotypical "happy sunshine reggea music" from the morning until 3am.
+ Don't expect competent or true answers from the staff. They'll tell you anything, just to book at their hostel (busses, tours, etc) and try to misguide you more than often. They told us false stories and prices about "Eco Thermales Hot Springs" because they get commission at "Baldi Hot Springs". They also din't tell us the truth about the "Jeep Boat Jeep Tours" to Monteverde.

If you're like us, wanting to catch some sleep at night to get up early for outdoor activities, don't stay in this hostel. The bunk rooms seem to be worse than the tents, because they are located right in front of the pool area and count 4 bunk beds (!!!!) in a very tiny room. The staff isn't friendly as well and no breakfast is not included.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

In June when I was in Costa Rica I booked to stay at Arenal Backpacker's Resort in a shared female dorm. The resort confirmed my booking by email and so I turned up looking forward to my stay at the Backpacker's Resort, having heard good things about it. I sensed when giving my name at reception, that something was wrong. The male receptionist was hesitant and I advised him I had a booking and reiterated my name. He eventually said that I could not stay in a shared female dorm...and I reminded him that I had had a confirmation of my booking for this accommodation.

The sum of it from what I could gather from the embarrassed and uncomfortable receptionist (who had to telephone the manager about the matter...and who did not come down to sort out the situation himself) was that they had obviously received a request for the female dorm from a group of people, and obviously my one booking stood in the way of what was obviously a better deal for the Resort. Hence I was 'bumped'. I was offered a single room at a reduced rate, but the reason for my booking a shared dorm was to save the money on accommodation to spend on sightseeing trips in the area. I decided that I did not want to spend the extra money on a single room - but more so - I decided by then I did not want to stay at the Resort. I felt their behaviour in not honouring a confirmed booking (and being upfront about the reason) was morally wrong. In the end they did me a favour, because I believe I ended up somewhere far better....... the Arenal Hostel Resort.

I was lucky to have found and stayed at the Arenal Hostel Resort What a difference! I cannot praise the Resort too highly. The people were very friendly, I was provided with a cocktail on arrival, given a pleasant and very clean shared female dormitory, all the information I could wish for about what to do in the area, and on top of that the Resort had a lovely garden with hammocks and a pool with a bar. In summary a very friendly and chill place to stay.

Room Tip: when booking make sure that you have a confirmed email stating that your room is guaranteed.
Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Adamstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The rooms look wonderful and for a hostel this is more like a hotel. The staff were so helpful with helping us get transportation the following day after our initial plan fell through. Only complaint is it is loud at night. Especially when you have to be up at 4am

Heredia, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After reading the reviews and seeing what they say about this hostel, I was expecting a lot more. the swim up bar is just stools in the water, you can't order drinks from there. I stayed two nights for $22 in a 4 person tent, and even though it was covered and our tent was closed, my mattress still got soaked. We got kicked out of the pool at 11pm, so they were good at enforcing rules. It was right across the street from a bar that played really loud music, so be prepared. However, the atmosphere was good and it was nice to have the open space and the volleyball court, and there was one very attractive worker!

Foshan, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Its nice to be here in La Fortuna and especially this hostel. For $12 a night I stayed in a shared dorm with its own sets of lockers and bathroom. The room was very clean but there are no pillows. $9 for laundry service. $12 for pasta and a beer and food as not that great... I wouldn't suggest spending money here on that. Otherwise, pool and communal areania great and definitely makes you feel like yur living in luxury for super cheap.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the tents!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hostel is really nice and clean. We stayed in an 8 person dorm and had no issues, other than the fact that nothing would dry! This was a problem that everyone seemed to have in this town! It's important to note that if you want a hot shower you have to go to the communal showers. The shower in the dorm only has cold water. Overall, our experience at this hostel was great. The staff was friendly and helped us with whatever we needed. It also has a great location that provides easy access to various activities in La Fortuna. I would definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Arenal Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!