“Pablo is awesome, demasiado tuanis” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Backpackers Resort

Save Saved
You added Arenal Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Arenal Backpackers Resort
350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“Pablo is awesome, demasiado tuanis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is an ideal hostel for people who want to save money and seize the day! Pablo, one of the assistants, was honest with us and told us how to get to Cerro Chato (a great hike in the area). We saved money because of his honesty and we did one of the best hikes I have ever done. Also, Diego, who works at the desk, let us know how to get to the FREE "hot river" with a taxi. The amount we spent on the taxi there and back was the same amount of money it would of costed for one person's admission into the hot springs. We owe our awesome experiences to this hostel!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a great hostel! It is clean, comfortable and safe and is in a great location for hiking.

The large pool and bar make it a great place to meet new people and food is really good too.

The staff were super friendly and helpful. They helped organize not just my activities in La Fortuna, but also helped with the transport, accommodation and activities for my next stop in Monteverde (thanks Diego!).

I travelled through Costa Rica by myself and this was such a great place to start.

It's definitely a step up from your usual hostels, I highly recommend for anyone to stay here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Arenal backpackers was the best hostel we stayed in all our vacation in costa rica, it was spacious, clean, and the staff was helpful and nice. We stayed in the outside One bed tent and it was really cool. It was sort of like camping but more comfortable of course. The only complain I could give is that the music is very loud in the bar in front of the hostel and it didnt let us sleep very well, but that is not the hostel's fault. They serve food and drinks cheap that we didnt eat because we wanted more traditional food. The bed was done and the room was cleaned everyday, they have hot water only in the morning! The pool is nice if you get the chance to catch sun in la fortuna. Overall a very good hostel for the price.

austin, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed in the safari tents. Yes the wooden floor slats will eat up your items that fall through them. We stayed in July and it was hot and humid. I really wished we had air conditioner, but overall... Really excellent place. Go get the fish next door at La Choza de Laurel, it's delicious!

Towels are $1 each and locks require $10 deposit. Wifi is free.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hostel a week ago and both agree it was excellent! It is your typical kind of hostel, especially geared towards younger travellers we thought. Our favourite part was the swimming pool which was always pristine and the perfect temperature! In regards to food, it was a shame breakfast wasn't included but saying that, the food served at this hostel is really good and definitely worth the money!
We stayed in a safari tent which was fun and different, it was slightly noisy at night but we didn't mind. We had one night drinking here and it was alot of fun, met some like minded people.
I totally recommend this hostel, it was both a comfortable and fun stay.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed 2 nights in one of the dorms in June 2013. The rooms were clean and the pool was great. The volcano was disappointing as it was covered in cloud both days. The hostel has a great atmosphere and the common areas are filled with many European travellers who are full of information on other places in Costa Rica. the staff were very attentive and organised a day trip for me. The hostel beds are more expensive than other places in Costa Rica.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Backpacker's was our first stop on our Costa Rica trip. We stayed in a private room with shared bathroom the first night and a private room with a private bath the second night. The staff is super friendly, helpful and HOT. I haven't seen so many good looking people working in one place before. This is my first time staying in a hostel and I really enjoyed it. Although I've never used a shared bathroom situation before but this wasn't terrible. (And I consider camping a 3-star hotel) The facilities were clean and ample. I never had to wait to use a shower or a bathroom and they were well taken care of. We stayed in room 10 the first night which is a random room upstairs with it's own set of stairs. They have a sliding glass door without a railing which could deem interesting for drunk people. The Air Conditioner drips and doesn't stay a consistent temperature, but the room was ample and we were cool enough. We were in room 5 the 2nd night which was great. Two double beds and our own shower. Great air condioner too.

We learned very quickly that asking for hot water, air conditioning and private bath is a necessity in costa rica.

The only thing I don't recommend is the food. It tasted fine but took forever!!! My friend ordered a chicken quesedilla and it took almost 1 hour for it to come out and it wasn't because they were busy. We chose to eat elsewhere for other meals.

All in all, if I was going to La Fortuna again I wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Arenal Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!