“Blasting Club Music” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Backpackers Resort

Save Saved
You added Arenal Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Arenal Backpackers Resort
350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Blasting Club Music”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We rented tents, very expensive for what they are. No free breakfast. Very very loud club music playing through the night, EVERY night. Staff were stuck up and not very helpful. Was clean enough but not worth the lack of sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

329 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Middlebury VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a hostel. No free breakfast. couple minute walk out of town. Huge place so not very cozy.
This is a bed and a pool if you want it.
If you want more don't stay here.
When I look for a hostel I look for a friendly atmosphere with the staff trying to make it an inviting space. This is not set up as such. This would be an awesome place if you are traveling with friends, but it doesn't really make for a great place to meet people.
Go here if you want a bed and a pool. If you want an experience find somewhere else.
They did have hot showers and a nice bed.
La fortuna is expensive and the volcano is not active i.e. not erupting. It is not a number one place to visit in Costa Rica in my book.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Great location, 2 min walk to the town centre where lots of restaurants/sodas/shops/Bank etc can be found. Very clean, fantastic swimming pool and the view of Arenal Volcano. We paid $28pppn for a twin room with a private bathroom, unfortunately there was no hot water, due to some problems they had, so we had to use a common shower instead... The room was huge, had it's own TV and a/c. There is a restaurant as well as some sofas and tables in front of the reception to chill out. Free internet cafe + wifi.

They also organise tours and shuttles to Monteverde for $22 but you can get it cheaper for $18 in the town centre. So it's good to shop around.

All in all it's a good place with a great vibe and pleasant staff. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Spent 3 nights here, and enjoyed it - decent value, with lockers in the shared room; a pool with a swim-up bar! Met some friendly travelers; had a touristy feel... some of the local 'soda restaurantes' are much more enjoyable for a local, typical, meal... especially worth the price if you use the "costa rica backpackers network membership card" which gives you a discount for staying 5 nights among any of the several hostels around the country!!!

Room Tip: just spent the night in the shared dorm rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked online for this place yesterday. I booked a private room, paid a deposit with my credit card which was accepted and was given a reservation number.

So far so good. That is what everyone does right? It's standard practice everywhere. WRONG.

I drive all the way from San Jose today and when I turn up and provide my name and say that I have a reservation, the staff member looks at me and says 'you don't have a reservation'. It's pretty hard to argue with a reservation number though. He was a nice guy and then admitted that 44 hours has to pass before your reservation is recognised. This not stated anywhere I could recall on the booking site. How misleading can you get?

So there were no more rooms left, including the room I booked and paid a deposit for, and so I had to leave the place in the dark with nowhere to stay at 6.30pm and had to pay for a taxi to find somewhere else for the privilege. I demanded my deposit back which I got, which is the least they could do.

I telephoned Hotel Fortuna in town and was immediately given the option of 2 great rooms and the staff could not have been more helpful. The rooms were only 5 to 15 dollars more than the shared bathroom place at Arenal Backpackers Resort.

Get your act together Arenal Backpackers Resort and act responsibly.

I won't be recommending you to anyone. You can't leave guests in the lurch like that. Given it's a system issue, it must have happened to other people too.

On the other side of the coin, Hotel Fortuna, you rock, thanks for showing me some great Costa Rican hospitality.

Room Tip: Watch out that you actually have a room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Turrialba, Cartago, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Arenal Backpackers is indeed more of a hotel than a hostel- I'd say it crosses the line because there is no communal kitchen. They have an (expensive) cafe where I had to ask the bartender if he could put my leftovers in the fridge.

The pool is giant and amazingly welcome refresher after lugging a backpack around all day. The rooms were clean and comfortable and affordable average Costa Rica priced dorms. The staff was extremely helpful and answered all my questions about public buses, schedules, prices, and other random annoying questions I had. They also held our bags before we even checked in.

The "lobby" by the front desk and bar/cafe is always filled with people if you're looking to make friends. The hostel/hotel is located an easy walking distance from town, but is set apart. We came back late after a night out and a diligent guard checked our wristbands, so it's a safe place to be.

The wifi worked and the water was sometimes hot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Spring Lake, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We needed a place to crash for the night in La Fortuna and we stumbled across Arenal Backpacker's Resort. My friend called it a "hostel" and I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. We actually stayed in a tent for the night. It was a canvas tent with a bed and we were able to rent a locker to put any of our belongings in. The only bad part about the tent, was that it can get loud from the bar on-site to the bar across the street. Bring earplugs! There was a pool, bar and snack bar open.The best part of this was their hammocks. They were great to relax in after a long trip there. The staff was friendly, the property was clean and the Internet was FREE. It was a good value for the money we spent (about $35 for a night).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Arenal Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!