“Nice Hostel but the band is a turn off” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Backpackers Resort

You added Arenal Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Arenal Backpackers Resort
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 506, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Varanasi, India
“Nice Hostel but the band is a turn off”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The hostel and the pool are really nice, the dormitory too. The tents are nice but too close to each other. It feels in a japanese city box where there is no0 space between people.

the pool is great and drinking in the pool is fantastic, however the band they give you fot "security" purposes is a big turn off. I don't want to be wearing a band to move around all over arenal and be labeled as "allowed to enter Arenal Backpackers.

They also change dollars at a rate of 550 collones, which for me is bad taste.

A part of these two things and the restricted space among the tents, nice place... but i could not give more starts, since these small things are important for me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sugar Land, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Our group of 15 (4 families - 8 adults 7 teenagers) were looking for inexpensive accommodations that would not involve sharing small double beds. We came upon the hostel idea and it worked out great. We booked 2 dorm rooms each with 4 sets of bunk beds. Let me first say, the grounds are amazing, the hammocks were divine, and staff very helpful. The teenage girls loved Freddy, who went out of his way to be very helpful and get us great deals on any tours we had in mind.

I would highly recommend renting a towel at the hostels. It keeps you from having to do laundry, which can be pricey. I wish they rented as nice of bedding as the towels. The bedding consists of...no mattress pad, a thin fitted sheet, no top sheet, and a thin blanket with holes in it. I was surprised to not have a top sheet, but did sleep pretty comfortable despite the bedding.

One other thing, if you like naps, the hammock is your best bet since the A/C only comes on from 10 pm to 10 am.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Mission, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Backpackers resort

Great place. Super clean hostel. Clean pool, quiet rooms, comfy beds, and a good breakfast. Service was great, location was suitable for walking, and they had a gated area for parking.

Two thumbs up. Cleanest, most well run Hostel I have ever been in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is one of the nicest place for backpackers I think I've seen in my year and a half of travels. Everything is extremely clean, which is obviously a huge plus. And the staff is all extremely friendly. Freddy at the front desk did a great job helping me plan my most memorable experience rafting in the Pacuare River. And Diego, the owner, is extremely kind and clearly cares about his guests. His goal for travelers to have a clean, comfortable and positive experience is very evident.

I stayed 2 nights on my own, and both nights I was able to meet new friends and have a great time. The common space is set up very comfortably for people to meet each other and the pool is beautiful with a view of the volcano when the sky is clear. Oh their Pina Coladas are exceptionally tasty and their happy hour offers great prices. Wish I could stay more than 2 nights, but will definitely come back here next time I pass through. I highly highly highly recommend it. With options of dorms, outdoor tents and private rooms, there is something for everyone.

Enjoy your stay, you won't regret it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I completely loved my stay last year at the Arenal Backpacker's Resort... I will go back there next time I am in La Fortuna! Friendly staff, who helped my friend and I with figuring out what we wanted to do, relaxed atmosphere and awesome pool that has a bar attached. We even had dinner at the hostel and it was excellent! I would recommend it to anyone who comes to La Fortuna. Also loved chilling out in the hammocks!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I came here with my girlfriend first after flying into San Jose, and it was a great start to the trip. The staff here are relaxed and very helpful, giving you honest advice about trips and not trying to push anything. The pool is great since it's so hot out, and it's great to relax in the water and enjoy a beer. The dorms are larger (8 person) but they have a private bathroom and a "private" locker bank which is really nice. The rooms have AC at night which means you'll get a great sleep too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I just spent four nights at this hostel, it is the best hostel I have stayed at in the whole of Costa Rica!! The hostel is extremely clean, the swimming pool is like a dream, the dorm rooms are great and all have a private bathroom and I loved the air con!
But the thing that stands are for me are the staff, friendly and welcoming at all times and fluent in English.
P.s you can book all the tours here too.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Arenal Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!