We stayed at the Lost Iguana for three rainy days and nights. We were one of the "one in three couples" who the guidebooks refer to as never having seen the tip of the volcano, but if the weather was better, the view from our room at the Lost Iguana would have been terrific.
Yes, the hotel is located far from town, but with a car and comfort driving on the twisty narrow roads (and some bumpy gravel ones)this isn't really much of a concern. We ate breakfast at the hotel but all other meals either in or on the way to La Fortuna. The hotel restaurant is unfortunately geared to the sterotypical "american" tourist dining palate instead of typical costa rican cuisine. Eat elsewhere. You will get better food at a better price.
The best thing about the hotel is that it is smack in the middle of the rainforested hills and from our standard room on the ground floor of one of the buildings, it felt like we were the only ones out there (with the exception of one night when the people above us decided to have a party on their terrace in the middle of the night). As it was too rainy to do the bat caves or the waterfall hike, it was a good thing that the hotel was close to the hanging bridges hike and had a good hike on the hotel property itself. Although we didn't get to see much of the volcano, we did get to hear it. I don't know what being in the rainforest would be like in the sun, but in the rain it was an extraordinary experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lost Iguana Resort is Arenal's newest hotel, offering luxury accommodations in the rain forest The resort's 100 acre property overlooks the world's most active volcano, Arenal Volcano located near La Fortuna, Costa Rica. A premiere, upscale retreat nestled gently in the jungle, the Lost Iguana Resort only offers rooms with large private balconies overlooking the Arenal Volcano and Arenal River Gorge. All rooms are spacious and well appointed with first-class furnishings, artwork and full amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Lost Iguana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lost Iguana Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Lost Iguana Resort And Spa
- Hotel Lost Iguana
- Lost Iguana Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park