My husband and I recently returned from a two week vacation in CR (May 12-23) to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary. We started with a fishing trip in Nicaragua for 4 days- Nic is beautiful but primative- very poor country- but we had a great time! But after 4 days with no hot water, no electricity, etc., we were excited to get to civilization. So off for 4 days we went to the Lost Iquana....
Starting with the drive to the resort- the road is good and very scenic. You can see the volcano the whole time but it seems that you are driving futher and further away from it with each turn- up a steep drive and you arrive at the resort- with a PERFECT view of the volcano!!
Check-in was easy. Our room was ready and we and our luggage were driven up to our room by a bellman.
Our room- we have stayed in some wonderful 5 star resorts- but this room was by far the most beautiful. We stayed in a Superior Suite. The room was very large and very well appointed. With a comfortable king size bed that is placed in the center of the room where you can view the volcano. The room was clean, clean, clean and the furnishings were all hand made in beautiful woods found in CR. We had A/C but never turned it on. But the best feature of the room was the dual rock shower! The ceiling is screened so you can see birds flying and hear the frogs singing! So great! There are french doors that open out to a spacious patio- this is where the outside jaccuzzi is as well as two wonderful leather tooled rocking chairs. We spent a lot of time there because it's so peaceful and the beauty of the resort grounds, with it's birds, flowers, and the volcano looming in the background- it just takes your breath away! We were lucky to see Arenal errupt constantly all 4 days that we were there.
Service- excellent. Everyone is so friendly and go out of thier way to assist you in anyway they can.
Food- although the food is served promptly and graciously and the open walled resturant offers a view from all tables of the volcano, if I offer any suggestion, this is where the resort needs improvement. Just didn't measure up to the resort itself. And the wine list is extremely limited and high priced for what it is. The outside bar is well stocked.
On a whole this resort is perfection. We choose this resort over the better known resort- Tabacon- because we like quiet, less known places, and really don't like large crowds when vacationing. Unfortunatly, since the hot springs of Tabacon are only a short taxi drive from LI it won't be long before "our" resort is discovered by the rest of the world and the quiet and peaceful ambiance of the resort will be replaced by the comings and goings of tourists. Maybe I should have writen a bad review to keep people away! Seriously though, if you are looking for a resort in Costa Rica that offers everything from a wonderful full body message while watching a volcano errupt from your patio, or sipping a cocktail at the swim up bar where you may be the only patron at the moment, and love beautiful flowers, colorful birds, happy frogs, great rooms, and excellent service- this is your place! Thank you- we will be back! Lynne and James Connell, Huntington Beach, CA.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lost Iguana Resort is Arenal's newest hotel, offering luxury accommodations in the rain forest The resort's 100 acre property overlooks the world's most active volcano, Arenal Volcano located near La Fortuna, Costa Rica. A premiere, upscale retreat nestled gently in the jungle, the Lost Iguana Resort only offers rooms with large private balconies overlooking the Arenal Volcano and Arenal River Gorge. All rooms are spacious and well appointed with first-class furnishings, artwork and full amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Lost Iguana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lost Iguana Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Lost Iguana Resort And Spa
- Hotel Lost Iguana
- Lost Iguana Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park