“Rainforest Wonderland!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
“Rainforest Wonderland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I did not know much about Costa Rica going into this vacation, but I had looked into the location a few years earlier. WELL LET ME TELL YOU! I was amazed the moment I arrived. The Lost Iguana staff took COMPLETE care of us from the moment we stepped off the plane. I was worried because I do NOT speak Spanish at all, but everyone was able to communicate with me just fine, most Costa Ricans are trilingual. On the ride there the driver stopped because he had seen a SLOTH along the side on the road, I was able to get the most amazing photo very close up! I was so excited because I never am able to find of see animals, even in Yellow Stone.
So upon arrival at The Lost Iguana the Front staff Alex was so gracious and lovely he talked with us about what to do and see during our stay. At that point we met Jason who quickly became our best friend EVER! He carried all of my extremely heavy luggage up the stairs, he brought me ice to my door everyday at the time I like it, he drove us in the golf cart anytime I left the room. To dinner, to the front desk from to front gate..... Everywhere until I was acclimated to go on my own. Oh and he was funny too!
Let me also talk about some of the things I was a bit hesitant about going in, besides language. Food and bugs. I had been very sick and food issues for a long time so I can not eat spicy food etc. The food was SO FRESH and so DELICIOUS I was able to eat everything and never got sick, the spice was perfection, presentation amazing and the service was impeccable ! FIVE YUMMY STARS ! Okay so let me talk about my bug issue, I stepped on ONE red ant, and it hurt him more that it hurt me... That's it! End of bug story .
Things that I did while there, where do I start ??? The Tabacon Hot Springs Alex arranged everything, got in the car, arrived there and OMG ! My eyes have never seen such a magically visually amazing place, I have goose bumps just thinking about the beauty that is TABACON! This property is so perfect in the landscaping and natural rushing gentle rivers of very warm lava warmed waters and waterfalls, my soul dropped into relaxation and the AHHHHHH MOMENT was upon me. The beauty that surrounded me was pure heaven on earth. So I was there for the lunch and dinner. Food was 5 star of course, but in the afternoon it started to rain, and I stayed in the springs for a while longer, but then the rain became to strong. So they allowed me to come back the next day on my ticket for the dinner I had purchased. So the next day I went back in the evening, just when you think it can't get anymore beautiful it DID. Although it was more crowded night time it was pure BLISS, I slept like a lamb that night. There is MAGIC in that water.
The next Cindy's great adventure was the hanging bridges we went at 3:30 pm and it's about a 2 hour hike, we saw monkeys everywhere the bridges were high but safe, I mastered my dance walk across them with ease, considering I am the world most clumsy girl ever. Wow I love the Rain Forrest !
Now I'm not gonna go into all of the waterfall and zip lining and such, but I will tell you the high light of the trip and stay at Lost Iguana was..... Are you ready for this? Every morning I would wake and head to the balcony of my room with my coffee, sit down, gaze at the volcano directly in from of me and every morning a 4 foot long Blue Macaw would fly straight in to my railing and stand there and talk her head off. I have videos of her flying in and OMG ! It was just CRAZY MAGICAL BEAUTIFUL ! If you ever get the chance in your life come here, and you like me can sit here at home and get goose bumps just from the memories you will have for the rest of your life. Thank You Lost Iguana! Love always, Jungle Queen Cindy

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in September for the second part of our CR trip and I WISH that we would have stayed here for our entire trip. I did not want to leave! The hotel grounds are impeccable as are the rooms. Beautiful view of the Arenal Volcano from our balcony. Beds were so comfortable, great AC, HUGE bathroom and showers. The staff were all amazing! Everyone from the bar, to the spa, to the restaurant, to housekeeping, etc. made us feel welcoming and were so amazing. The included breakfast is a huge plus. Delicious Costa Rican style breakfast with delicious coffee. Happy hour by the pool bar is a MUST! The spa was amazing...couples massage was perfect and the atmosphere was very relaxing after many days of hiking and rafting. Outdoor garden showers in the spa were the icing on the cake after the massages. We saw wildlife on the grounds and the hotel is just a short ride to the Hanging Bridges and about a 15 min drive into downtown La Fortuna. This place is a MUST stop during your Costa Rica trip!

Room Tip: All rooms have breathtaking views..I recommend a second floor balcony for the view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Highland Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The girls and I, just returned from our fourth annual Yoga, Adventure, Spa (and cocktail) retreat to the Lost Iguana Resort and Spa overlooking the magnificent Arenal Volcano.
It's still a "Gem in the jungle" for the adventurous spirit. A "Honeymooners Paradise" for a romantic getaway. and An "Appendage of it's Environment " for the Naturalist.
The open air Bali Style Spa is the most beautiful and relaxing I have ever been to ( Including Canyon Ranch).
The only marked difference I noticed this trip, are the newly renovated bathrooms, with granite countertops, beautiful marble sinks, and up graded fixtures.
As always, the staff is friendly, efficient and accommodating.
We're already making plans for next year. I guess if it works, don't fix it!

Room Tip: Go for the Studio Style Suite with the outdoor tub overlooking the Volcano
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Whittier, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I found this on a groupon deal. This place was located out of the city of La Fortuna. What breathtaking views of the volcano! We just happened to Be there with a yoga group who allowed us to do yoga with them. The spa treatment was the best especially after the long plane ride. You must do the sky trek zip line tour! Go during low season to best the crowds, we only had rain two days out if ten

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I had been looking for a special place to spend our 25th wedding anniversary. While cruising the internet we saw a picture of the Lost Iguana. Truthfully, we had not even considered Costa Rica as our destination, but after seeing the pictures of the hotel we really wanted to go. I know it's an odd way to pick a trip - first the hotel, then the country - but I have to say that it served us well because we truly had one of our best vacations ever. The Lost Iguana was as beautiful as it was in the pictures. We equally enjoyed hiking the many trails on the property and lying by the beautiful pools.
We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and ate at the restaurant everyday. The food was excellent and the staff so amiable that we found no reason to go elsewhere. The chef even came out to share some of his recipes with us.
We eventually did leave the hotel to visit many other sites in Costa Rica. We compared all other hotels on the trip to our new standard: The Lost Iguana. We did not find any hotel that we like nearly as well. The Lost Iguana is our favorite hotel of all time. Our stay there was the perfect place to celebrate 25 years together!

Room Tip: We moved to an upstairs room because we could hear those above us.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We visited Lost Iguana during the green season and were pleased to have terrific weather every day. The hiking on the grounds was easily accessible and the trails well maintained. Our 2 bedroom suite was perfect for my cousin and I and our two daughters. We had our own kitchen, but found we were very happy eating at the restaurant or snacking poolside so we didn't end up cooking. We noticed some reviewers complained about the steep paths but we we to Costa Rica to hike and explore, so we considered that a bonus, especially once we saw how well manicured and maintained their walking paths are. We really could have spent our entire 3 days sitting on the veranda with binoculars. The view of the volcano was amazing and the wildlife abundant. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The celebrity suites were AMAZING!!! Two separate bedrooms off a great room. Indoor/Outdoor shower i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first portion of our honeymoon. We stayed at this resort from Aug. 26- Aug. 31 before heading to Limon. This place is a dream come true! The resort is very beautiful and the grounds are very well kept. The rooms are also very clean and nothing beats that gorgeous view of the Arenal Volcano from the balcony!

The staff is very friendly!! We loved coming to the complimentary breakfast every morning and seeing the staff. For that particular week we were served by Marcos, Evelio and Juan Carlos; and all provided us with exceptional service during all meals throughout the day. The food at the resort is also very delicious and priced reasonably. We especially loved the arroz con pollo! It was our favorite! The staff at reception is also exceptional. I believe the gentleman there all week was named Alex and he provided us with great service by assisting us in scheduling activities off the resort grounds.

The resort is high up in the mountains but you can take a shuttle down to La Fortuna where there are other places to eat and a lot of cute places to shop for souvenirs. My husband & I even stopped by a little grocery to stock up on snacks for our room.

The resort also has an excellent spa! We did a couples massage and both got the hot stone massage. Amazing! They also have a heated pool with a swim up bar that we enjoyed nightly.

Overall, this place is such a dream and was the perfect way to start our honeymoon! We definitely talk about going back and I've already raved about this place to all my friends! Excellent place and service!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view of the Arenal Volcano and I'm almost certain you can't go wrong wi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!