“reviews of this hotel actually UNDERATE it !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Announcement
SUPER DISCOUNTS 2014
Oakland, Maine, United States
“reviews of this hotel actually UNDERATE it !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

we made a last minute reservation with Lost Iguana for just one night and found it to be above all description. the rooms were luxurious. furniture all native woods. nice tilework. beautiful decks viewing the volcano ! nice reception area. hiking areas on the premises in the forest. no need to go out. buffet breakfast was very good. we ate at the restaurant for dinner one night and found the food superb !. the chef was Martin, and he is very well trained. He made a ceviche which was the best we tasted as of yet... the gift shop is very nice, and the supervisor goes by my Name- Marvin. we really would have stayed here longer if we didn't have previous reservations down the road for the remaining days, in a not so excellent hotel ... would recommend this spot for a very private and quiet relaxing vacation !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1,025 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I recently left my job working 80+ hours a week for 4 years and my goal was to relax as much as possible. I dragged a friend along with me to go to Costa Rica (first time) for several days and stay at the Lost Iguana. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I have had in a long time for many reasons - and I am from San Francisco and travel to Hawaiian islands regularly in search of relaxation.

My state-of-mind - the most important thing for me on this vacation

The resort is very zen-like, spa-esque and extremely well designed to sit in the countours of the jungle. You can tell they used some good architects in getting the details right to create a very peaceful, secluded atmosphere. The room exceeded my expectation and when I first saw it, I knew that I made the right decision for me for my stay in Costa Rica. The view of the Volcano is just stunning. The entire place seems to be designed around the volcano so that no matter where you are, the volcano is there in all of its mystique. The light and cloud cover changes seemingly every moment, so watching the massive landmass at any point is just a special thing to do. I believe every room has a view of the volcano front and center, and it's just amazing to wake up and see it from your bed. After spending a few hours on the property, I definitely chilled out a lot, and I found that we were not thinking more than 5 minutes ahead on anything. No schedule, no worries. In fact, my iphone didn't work in Costa Rica so i didn't have a clock the entire trip (nor did my friend) and it didn't even matter, in fact I loved having no idea what time it was, and sometimes almost forgot what day it was. Awesome.

Location

The location was extremely central for the things I wanted to do. Hanging bridges hike was 3-4 minutes away by golf cart, zip line 20 or so minutes away, volcano hike (10-15 minutes away).

I found that I was happy not renting a car. I think renting a car was going to be too much for me for this trip - I just wanted to relax in one spot and day trip from home base. I've rented cars in ireland so am not afraid of driving abroad. Driving in CR is relatively easy compared to many countries - the roads are really good, like the quality of the US mostly. It's kind of a tossup if you need one, but I just loved not worrying about it and the hotel can get you free shuttles basically anywhere if talk to them in advance.

Again, the whole property is inset in the jungle - the sounds at night are really amazing. I saw a Limer from my room and lots of birds that were just massive.

Alex at the front desk was cool - extremely professional and knew his stuff. Helped us select our excursions within 5-10 minutes when we walked in and didn't think about it again. (Did hanging bridges, zip line, 2 hour trail hike on the grounds, Visited city of Fortuna etc). Jonathan at the pool was such a nice young man. Almost felt like I needed to hug some of the service people on leaving since they were so good to us during our stay.

Prices

Lost Iguana didn't charge for breakfast and that was really nice. Saved a few bucks. The menu is very reasonable for lunch and dinner, and had a lot of good things. I liked the enchiladas, and the guacamole + chips was a favorite that I had every day. Also went to the spa and had a massage that made me feel great, and prepared for the journey home the next day. The spa facility is really well done and instead of listening to music as you would in another spa, you listen to the sounds of the jungle. Price was very reasonable, much cheaper than what I was used to. Awesome.

Final Thoughts

For me, there were other options that I looked into as far as accommodation in the area. In the end it didn't matter to me, and I didn't consider for even one minute if I should have done something else. I had such a wonderful time relaxing with my friend and I didn't need to dwell any further on the choices. Lost Iguana was right for me in what I was looking for.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the Volcano, can't really go wrong. Get a room on the first floor (of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The view is exactly as described. Incredible when the clouds parted. The room with the rain shower and Jacuzzi was HUGE. We just sat on the porch for hours, took it all in, listened to the birds, and loved it. The massage was great, the hike on the grounds was awesome, our first rain forest experience. The pool was fun with a great pool bar and happy hour.

Traveling to and from La Fortuna got tiresome. it is about a 25 minute trek each way. I think if we come again to this area we will stay at one of the hot springs resorts. Finally, there have been comments before about the staff--nothing bad, but they just seem sort of laissez faire about how they approach you and your needs. Given what we paid for this resort, fairly high on any scale and huge for Costa Rica, I honestly expected more. Here is my object lesson. It was Easter weekend. We inquired about church services. Front desk staff indicated they did not know. I asked them if they could inquire about this and let me know, they declined. We did find some info in the room on this, and then it turned out to be wrong--we wasted an hour on easter sunday. I find this inexcusable.

Still, you can't beat the view (and the breakfast was lovely, though they might have changed it up a bit each day)

Room Tip: get the Jacuzzi room with the rain shower
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for two days while exploring the Arenal volcano area - it was awesome!
Waking up in the morning, watching the skies brightening from our balcony - straight ahead was the volcano and the surrounding jungle. In 15 minutes, we counted seven different birds in the trees, several meters from us. Convenient location, awesome grounds with features like the green maze and pool bar - and lots of attention to details and design. Probably the only minus in this area is the lack of the hot springs that are an integral part of many other resorts in the area, but the volcano and the jungle bet them all :-) A conversation with the owner is a bonus - she is a truly nice person! Waiting for a special occasion to find again the Lost Iguana!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Franklin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Lost Iguana

In January, my parents celebrated their 50th anniversary. This was the story they were told. The piece they were missing was that they would be at the LOST IGUANA resort celebrating with their 5 children. 4 of the 5 children were traveling from Boston, MA and as you can imagine with families its not easy to travel in a school month. This time it was different. We all decided to go, leaving our spouses and children behind, to surprised the parents that had sacrificed it all for each one of us. We were like a bunch of teenagers traveling for the first time. We got to the airport early, enjoyed our meals, had our glass of wine in the plane. When arrived to Costa Rica, my brother in law waited for us with a heart warming welcome package. From San Jose, the ride to Lost Iguana is about 3 hours. The whole time we planned the surprise for our parents. Would they see us as a group, each individually? Should we meet them at the restaurant or in their room? The excitement was overwhelming.

When we finally arrive to the resort, we had decided that we would surprise our parents in the hotel room. After all the excitement might be too much in the restaurant. My brother, who travels most frequently to Costa Rica should be the first one to go and surprised them. We went to the reception and everyone at the resort was ready to help with our surprise.

First, one of the staff gave my brother a ride to the room. Then he returned to pick up the rest of us. My sister and I went next. Seeing my parents face as we walked in was priceless. They were filled with excitement and so much love. When my second brother walked in, everyone started tearing up. It's an awesome experience spending time as adults with your siblings and your parents.

The villas we stayed in were awesome, they had a jacuzzi, a great view of the volcano, and I have to mention the beautiful view of sunset and sunrise.

We then went to the restaurant to have dinner. They set up ghe most beautiful table and the chef came out to tells about the specials. The food was so delicious. We each tried something different, and we had a fruit sangria that was also very tasty. We were all very pleased.

While staying at the Lost Iguana, we went to the hot springs, tour the falls, and we tried some of the local restaurants.

We had an AMAZING time at this resort and to say the least the staff was crucial in our planning process. There were many hugs, laughs, and sleepless moments. It's hard to sleep when you want to enjoy every second.

We would like to thank the staff at the Lost Iguana for being so accommodating. Your humility and your enthusiam made us even more joyful. A very special thanks to the general manager, Rosio, who thought of so many details to give it the extra special touch!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I don't think I have ever stayed at a better hotel than this one. The wildlife, the pools, the grounds, the food, etc. Everything was amazing. It's also a fairly small hotel (about 30 rooms I think) so it is always peaceful. Nothing is busy and you feel like you are the only one in the entire place. The location is also amazing because it's in the middle of the jungle. If you are staying in this area I would highly recommened it. We stayed there 4 nights and I would easily return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Lost Iguana is one of the nicest hotels we've stayed in. All the rooms have majestic views of the volcano and rainforest. I loved the room decor and the beautiful grounds. There are hiking trails right on the resort along with 2 pools, one being heated and a swim-up bar, so there is always something to do. We both enjoyed the breakfast and friendly service from the staff.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor for a more stunning view of the volcano and rainforest.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!