“Oasis of Peace, Great rooms, Amazing service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Montreal
“Oasis of Peace, Great rooms, Amazing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had an amazing room, the outdoor was truly part of our living space with an outdoor shower, an outdoor whirlpool tub and huge glass doors opening to a patio and a small garden. Many beautiful birds can be observed right form the room. Weather is hit or miss in Arenal ... but this hotel is definetly a hit. The service is impeccable as well ... the best we have received in Costa Rica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Is it possible for a hotel to be the highlight of your trip? I can't think of a more Costa Rican experience than the Lost Iguana. It was foggy/rainy the entire four days but it didn't matter. It only added to the resort's lushness and feel of the jungle. The grounds are spectacular as well as the staff. I regret it was always too foggy to see the volcano from our room. And the room was very clean and spacious, and the outdoor rock shower rocks! I don't mean this review to sound like an ad, but at age 51, sure I've stayed in "nicer" places, but this has to be my favorite hotel of all-time.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with the private outdoor jacuzzi and the private outdoor rock shower. It ma...
Hastings, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have only been back for 3 days and I already miss the peace and tranquility of this beautiful jungle resort. I had the unfortunate experience of staying there during 4 very raining days. Which is very unusual for this time of year. However, all the staff went the extra mile to be sure the weather did not dampen our fun. The food was great. The rooms were nice. The spa was wonderful listening to the birds and the water from a near by stream. The resrt dried our clothes at no charge. I would return again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I intially bought it as a groupon with one of my friends 2 years ago. We came, saw and loved it! Groupon had it again and I certainly bought it again this year- this time to use with my beau. So romantic - beautiful grounds. Cons: Do not drive here from San Jose at night - streets are a tricky drive and I drive in NYC! Pros: great rooms, amazing views of the Volcano, spectacular outdoor rock shower, decent food, great drinks! PURA VIDA!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I spent 4 beautiful days & nights at the Lost Iguana in late January. The setting is amazing, the staff is well trained, professional and gracious, service was excellent and the food delicious. I had an amazing massage in the spa while the birds tweeted joyfully in the background accompanied by the sound of water in the nearby stream. The rooms were beautiful and well appointed. I would highly recommend the Lost Iguana to other travelers and hope to return one day myself!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
League City, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had a fabulous stay at the Lost Iguana. Each morning we awoke to the sounds of nature which was absolutely refreshing. Our stay included a complimentary breakfast that I looked forward to every morning. The fresh fruit was my highlight and the omelet station was something my husband looked forward to. Our room was well appointed and we upgraded to the rooms with the rock shower! It was amazing. The staff at the Lost Iguana was excellent! From the check in, restaurant, and best of all our fun happy hour bar tender! It is also very easy to get around the grounds if you are not able to walk...just call Otto and he will pick you up in his cart and take you where you need to be. Don't forget to book your massage at their spa.....it was so relaxing! There are trails to hike right on property if you are looking for a little adventure after breakfast as well. AND don't forget to look up! You will quickly make friends with all the Toucans that frequent the property. I could go on and on.....we had a amazing vacation and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Go for the upgrades and rock shower!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have to give this hotel a poor rating due to 2 issues. The first being the moldy smell in the rooms. When I made the reservation there were no king rooms available at the time. I was told that there would be a chance for such rooms to be available when we arrived, so I booked the reservation as there were so many positive TA comments. Upon arrival I asked if a king room and/or upgrade was available and that we were were happy to pay for the upgrade. We were told no, that the hotel was full. We were taken to our room and the smell of mold was overwhelming. We attempted to air the room out, but quickly realized that this was an unfixable, not to mention unhealthy situation and that there was no way we could stay in that room. At that point, my husband called to complain and miraculously an upgrade with king bed was available, not less than 30 minutes from the time we were initially told no. That did not sit well with us as it felt like the hotel was trying to keep someone in the possibly worst room in the hotel. The upgrade room
itself was lovely- furnishings, patio with view of the volcano, outdoor hot tub, beautiful shower, comfortable bed- but after the air freshener, that was obviously sprayed just before we entered the room, had worn off, the moldy smell was still present. Not nearly as bad as first room, but still really unpleasant. We understand that this is the jungle and that there had been a stretch of rainy weather, but we feel the hotel should have a better system for managing the mold and mildew in their rooms. We were in other buildings in Arenal including another hotel that did not have this problem. We left 2 days early, will not return or recommend.

Room Tip: Upper level, corner rooms will have better circulation. I recommend you check your assigned room bef...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lost-iguana-Resort, Owner at Lost Iguana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest, I am sorry you were here when we had chilly rainy weather. It is difficult to air out the rooms and regret you were bothered by the dampness. I made a point to talk to guests who were in your rooms this past week and they were all happy. We did have a suite available, but not for the days you wanted it. It took a lot of reshuffling to make a suite available for you without having to make you change rooms. This has to be done by our San Jose office and not at the front desk. Sincerely, Elaine

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!