We have just returned from Costa Rica and had a 4 nigh stay at the begining of our holiday at Lost Iguana's with our two children aged 11 and 13. We were collected from our airport hotel and the trip to Lost I took us around 3 hours whcih was fine as the scenery was so beautiful . The position of the hotel is worth mentioning as it is in a more remote area and about half an hour to La Fortuna if you are interested in being able to shop and have a multitude of resturants on your doorstep, but for us this was not what we wanted and we found it to be a great base to use in fantastic scenary for all the trips we wanted to do many of which wher literally on the doorstep.
The first day we arrived we got the golf buggy from the hotel just up the road to the hanging bridges whcih what a loevely afternoon and well worth the visit. The second day we had booked a kayake and mountain biking tour and this went from the Arenal lake literally across the road from our hotel. We kayaked across the lake about 16km and were then met on the other side with the lorry and the bikes to continue our tour again around 16km and only stopped for fresh pineable and snacks at a beautiful river with volcano views. That afternoon we decided to treat our mucsules to some relaxation and got a taxi to the Baldi spar which cost us 30$ but the hotel picked us up at 5.30 with their staff taxi free of charge. Baldi was fantasic and particularly if you have kids its great with water slides for them and lots of relaxation pools, caves, water falls and swim up bars for the adults.
The next day we went on a white water rafting trip which was incredible and so well organised and the next to a wildlife rescue centre and then on an AVT quad bike tour all within a short drive.
Getting back to the hotel - the rooms were nice and clean and the decor reflected the location and style of the whole property with incredible views of the volcano and had a couple of rocking chairs out on the outside seating area. There were bottles of vodka, beer and brandy and wine in the room for you to use if you wished and tea and coffee as well.
The pools were nice one larger one which was not heated and very cold and one with the swim up bar which was a lovely warm temperature. You could either eat in the bar area or up in the returant where you ate breakfast and the toucans would come and eat fruit in the morning while you ate your breakfast whcih was just great. The main resturant meals were resonabley expensive and or varying quality but the cosa rican soup with the egg in served with rice is absolutely brilliant!
The staff were all very helpful and friendly and offered us a lift in the golf buggy when ever they saw us walking up the very steep hills which if you are anything other that fit could cause a problem unless you arranged lifts all the time.
All in all we enjoyed the experience and would recommend this hotel as a great base for taking trips and tours and also as somewhere to stay before taking the boat across the lake to Monte verde as it so close to the lake itself. We didnt see as many animals as we had hoped for not just in the hotel grounds but in the area as a whole in comparision to our next stop which was in Manuel Antonio but this is just one of those things sometimes you may be more lucky......
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lost Iguana Resort is Arenal's newest hotel, offering luxury accommodations in the rain forest The resort's 100 acre property overlooks the world's most active volcano, Arenal Volcano located near La Fortuna, Costa Rica. A premiere, upscale retreat nestled gently in the jungle, the Lost Iguana Resort only offers rooms with large private balconies overlooking the Arenal Volcano and Arenal River Gorge. All rooms are spacious and well appointed with first-class furnishings, artwork and full amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Lost Iguana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lost Iguana Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Lost Iguana Resort And Spa
- Hotel Lost Iguana
- Lost Iguana Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park