“Costa Rica Like you Imagined!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Concord, NC
“Costa Rica Like you Imagined!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Before I visit a new travel destination, I always have a picture in my mind of what I expect the location and hotel to look like. Sometimes the image is close; sometimes it isn’t. But with the Lost Iguana, this resort was EXACTLY what I had pictured in my mind as the ideal Costa Rica lodge. Nestled in a hillside overlooking the Arenal Volcano, the resort featured rooms blended into the lush tropical landscape, all with a striking view of the Costa Rica countryside. The rooms are decorated and designed to match the environment and all feature a deck or patio where you can sit and admire the birds, landscape and Arenal Volcano. Birds abound, and you need not worry about oversleeping because the birds will awaken you early! Dining is in a restaurant open to the outside, and breakfast is a delight as toucans and other exotic birds flock to the bird feeder just outside the dining area. The main lobby is also open to the environment, and you can listen to to a nearby stream while you sip Costa Rican coffee and check email on the provided WiFi.
Every accommodation has some shortcomings but I have to think hard to find them at the Lost Iguana. As mentioned earlier, the rooms are nestled into a steep hillside, so to get from your room to the restaurant or pool requires a steep hike or a lift from a golf cart. The service is quick under normal circumstances but it is kind of a pain and if it rains, you could be waiting a while. A breakfast buffet was excellent and overall the food was good but the service was quite slow for a lunch where we ordered off the menu.
One annoying feature I noticed here, along with other locations in Costa Rica, is that prices would be listed in dollars. If you wanted to pay in Colones, the local currency, they converted the dollars at a favorable rate for them, thus resulting in two conversion fees for you. If you happen to have dollars but not the exact amount, your change will come in Colones, again at a favorable rate for them. In the big scheme of vacation spending, this is not a major consideration but I found it annoying. But you can beat the system by keeping some dollars, along with small bills and change, with you as well as Colones.
I can’t speak to the value of the Lost Iguana since I was on a tour and thus didn’t pay the hotel bill directly. I sure it isn’t cheap, but it is a beautiful place in a good location. The slogan of Costa Rica – Pura Vida – is abundandly evident at the Lost Iguana.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

1,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family of four stayed here over winter break for 4 nights. The Lost Iguana was wonderful from the warm, helpful staff to the accommodations which were so clean and comfortable. My boys, ages 18 and 14 enjoyed the big breakfast selections and the swim up bar where they could get a bite while sitting on their little in-pool barstools. The staff learned our names early on and were so good natured. The front desk made the decision making process painless in choosing our adventures. I had an amazing massage in their lovely little huts that are open in the back to the rainforest and have fireplaces at body level. Ahhhhhh!

Room Tip: The rooms are set in 2 story buildings. Some are closer to the main areas which makes it easier to w...
Pensacola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Lost Iguana Resort is amazing, the website doesn't do it justice. I went on my honeymoon and my husband had reserved our room so I wasn't sure what to expect. The property was breathtaking....like a resort, literally, in the middle of the rainforest. Great staff, service, gift shop, and hiking trails. The SPA was amazing, I suggest a couple massage in the evening. The Spa overlookings a small stream and has a fireplace..so relaxing.
We will go back for many years!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had 4 nights at this lovely lodge at the end of December, 2012. It is an absolutely beautiful place, even with the torrential rains we experienced. The setting is secluded and beautiful as it is surrounded by the foliage of the forest. Birds are everywhere, including the two toucans who join the breakfast meal each day. The staff was outstanding, attentive, available, always ready to meet whatever need we had-which, really weren't many. The faucet in the wet bar in our room didn't work-which we didn't even realize until we were told and given a free 30 minute massage to compensate.

Because it was raining, really raining, we appreciated the pick up service at meal times as we would have been soaked if we had needed to walk.

We had a luxury suite as there were 3 of us--which in actuality is a very large room rather than a traditional suite. I would highly recommend these rooms as the added space is nice to have. There was a secluded spa on our balcony which would have been nice if we hadn't had our 14 year old with us. The beds were comfortable and we loved the shower.

We ate all our meals here except when excursions included lunch. The food was quite good but not inexpensive. The one down side of the lodge is its distance from La Fortuna which makes it difficult to go in for meals. We were OK with this as we just wanted to kick back after busy days. The wait staff was excellent and pleasant.

Oh, yes, the spa is gorgeous. I extended my 30 minutes into a 90 massage. Having had my share of this pleasure over the years, I can say that the therapist was outstandingly good. I still think of it and am pretty sure I will be disappointed by my next one here at home.

Room Tip: Try to get a Luxury Suite on the second floor as mentioned above.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

There are lots of activities in the area and if you need a base, you could do a lot worse than Lost Iguana. The rooms are very well appointed and the staff is friendly and efficient. The food is not very exciting (boring international dishes of little character and not particularly well done) but that is what you get in most of the places anyway so you do not lose by staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Lost Iguana. We were here 2 years ago with 2 grandchildren and returned with 2 other grand children. Our celebrity suite offered 2 spacious bedrooms each with its own special bathroom, a large common room with kitchenette and a spacious patio surrounded by rain forest foliage, great view of the Arenal volcano. Staff is wonderfully friendly and helpful. Dining room pleasant and food good. Pool small but ideally suited. Spa and massage were terrific for me and my husband.

Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This place is amazing! It is literally in the rain forest. Our back porch overlooked a ravine which gave us a wonderful view of a patch of rain forest, and our front porch overlooked the volcano. It's far enough away to feel safe from an eruption, but also close enough to be able to appreciate the view. The service was also really good, as well as the food. Breakfast was also very good, and they did do variety from day to day which was nice. There was so much to do in the area, I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!