“Beyond my expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Pensacola
“Beyond my expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Lost Iguana Resort is amazing, the website doesn't do it justice. I went on my honeymoon and my husband had reserved our room so I wasn't sure what to expect. The property was breathtaking....like a resort, literally, in the middle of the rainforest. Great staff, service, gift shop, and hiking trails. The SPA was amazing, I suggest a couple massage in the evening. The Spa overlookings a small stream and has a fireplace..so relaxing.
We will go back for many years!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had 4 nights at this lovely lodge at the end of December, 2012. It is an absolutely beautiful place, even with the torrential rains we experienced. The setting is secluded and beautiful as it is surrounded by the foliage of the forest. Birds are everywhere, including the two toucans who join the breakfast meal each day. The staff was outstanding, attentive, available, always ready to meet whatever need we had-which, really weren't many. The faucet in the wet bar in our room didn't work-which we didn't even realize until we were told and given a free 30 minute massage to compensate.

Because it was raining, really raining, we appreciated the pick up service at meal times as we would have been soaked if we had needed to walk.

We had a luxury suite as there were 3 of us--which in actuality is a very large room rather than a traditional suite. I would highly recommend these rooms as the added space is nice to have. There was a secluded spa on our balcony which would have been nice if we hadn't had our 14 year old with us. The beds were comfortable and we loved the shower.

We ate all our meals here except when excursions included lunch. The food was quite good but not inexpensive. The one down side of the lodge is its distance from La Fortuna which makes it difficult to go in for meals. We were OK with this as we just wanted to kick back after busy days. The wait staff was excellent and pleasant.

Oh, yes, the spa is gorgeous. I extended my 30 minutes into a 90 massage. Having had my share of this pleasure over the years, I can say that the therapist was outstandingly good. I still think of it and am pretty sure I will be disappointed by my next one here at home.

Room Tip: Try to get a Luxury Suite on the second floor as mentioned above.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

There are lots of activities in the area and if you need a base, you could do a lot worse than Lost Iguana. The rooms are very well appointed and the staff is friendly and efficient. The food is not very exciting (boring international dishes of little character and not particularly well done) but that is what you get in most of the places anyway so you do not lose by staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Lost Iguana. We were here 2 years ago with 2 grandchildren and returned with 2 other grand children. Our celebrity suite offered 2 spacious bedrooms each with its own special bathroom, a large common room with kitchenette and a spacious patio surrounded by rain forest foliage, great view of the Arenal volcano. Staff is wonderfully friendly and helpful. Dining room pleasant and food good. Pool small but ideally suited. Spa and massage were terrific for me and my husband.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This place is amazing! It is literally in the rain forest. Our back porch overlooked a ravine which gave us a wonderful view of a patch of rain forest, and our front porch overlooked the volcano. It's far enough away to feel safe from an eruption, but also close enough to be able to appreciate the view. The service was also really good, as well as the food. Breakfast was also very good, and they did do variety from day to day which was nice. There was so much to do in the area, I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in a casita for 2 nights. Unbelievable view! We at least saw the base of the Arenal volcano but unfortunately the rain and clouds had set in. Our private casita was beautiful! Just like the pictures on line! The food was great and Buffett in am quick to grab before we took off for adventures. We left there and went to San Jose. We got a email from the owner that they found an ipad and we realized we left ours! They were so kind and the owner was coming to the states so she spend 19$ and sent it to us! This wouldnt have happened i dont thunk at a big hotel...Great place to stay if you want privacy, good food and great service.

• Stayed December 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I would start by saying, I think they meant to close the hotel for repairs, but forgot to tell travelocity. It turned out there was a bike race while we were there, so many of the hotels were booked, which may explain the really high cost. The hotel was renovating their pool and doing a lot of repairs. They offered a mudpack (which we didn't use) to "compensate" --I think a steep discount would have been much more appropriate. The hotel was VERY expensive. The room space was nice enough, view was great, the restaurant was pleasant. The walk to the restaurant went past something that smelled dead and another area that smelled of sewer. We didn't complain, but I don't know how any staff could walk by and not notice, Awful! The people at the hotel were not particularly helpful in arranging activities (the next hotel was fantastic, so in retrospect, we could see the difference), which in the end, was fine, as we just relaxed on our balcony with a great view. The one thing we went on was a float trip, and that was great. Their store which had lots of local crafts, was actually inexpensive and really nice. Wish I had bought more. The biggest problem was that they had big ants, which I found out later were called bullet ants. There was one next to the bed, and I stepped on it barefoot. It is excruciating, and I sat with my foot up and on a cold soda can for several hours. This hotel was way too expensive, did not warn us that they had closed their on-property hiking trails(one of the reasons we chose it), that they had their pool closed, that they were having people working on their property which detracted considerably. We found a letter on the bureau explaining that they would be closed for renovations during the week that we were there...Costa Rica is geared towards their tourists. This hotel is far from the activities, and so needs to provide information and transportation and they were not very good at this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!