“So-so” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Kansas City, Missouri
“So-so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We saw many great reviews here and decided to stay based on those. The layout is undoubtedly beautiful: one feels surrounded by nature. Staff is helpful but not as outgoing, relaxed and friendly as we saw in other parts of the country. The location is a long way from Fortuna; there is a free shuttle but they didnt tell us about it, so we didnt find out until the last day we were there.
We paid a lot (~$275 per room!) but found nickel-n-diming frustrating. e.g., a $ 10 charge to have ice delivered to the room (there is no ice machine in the buildings). For Christmas eve, there was a mandatory buffet dinner that costs ~ 43 each after taxes and service charge. They were understaffed for this; the whole experience was chaotic. They kept running out of the veggie option (lasagna!). This colored our experience quite a bit. The breakfast was average: we found much more fresh tasty offerings at lower-priced places in Monteverde etc. Wifi was supposed to work in the rooms. We stayed in 3 rooms: it did not work at all. The front desk said 'oh, ok, nothing wrong'.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lost-iguana-Resort, Owner at Lost Iguana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest, I truly am sorry that we ran out of the vegetable lasagna on our Christmas buffet. We had 7 entrees and we did not expect that the lasagna would be such a big hit. We will definitely make more for next year.
There should not have been a $10 charge for ice to be brought to your room. When we bring room service we do add $10 since it is more expensive to deliver food to your room than when you eat at the restaurant. But we should not be charging for ice. I have already told everyone that taking ice to your room is complimentary. If you would email me or reservations we will be happy to refund your charge for ice and 50% of the charge for your dinner.
The $275 price for the suite is the cost during holidays. If you stay at least 2 nights the current price for a standard is $196, which includes breakfast.
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We continually try to improve by using guests feedbacks. Sincerely, Elaine

1,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had four nights to spend in Costa Rica and researched extensively and have been thrilled with our choice. Owner was on site, and she and all her staff at gracious and helpful at all times. Food is outstanding and well priced for resorts. Location is a little further than others but all tours includ ed transportation. Owner should consider adding shuttles to La Fortuna, as a . Subsidized one would be better than outrageous cab fares to town.

Rooms are great and view is unbeatable. Some people said it was too rustic but I found it a little homey than the big resort uniform room look. Nice tiled floors everywhere. Best part is the resort is actually on a large 329 acre site so we had nice hikes on grounds. Spa is terrific too. Wonderful not crowded sauna and great massage.

Free breakfast in AM was delicious. Looking forward to New years Buffet tonight.

Very comfy beds and no trouble with clean rooms. I would like to send home all Americans though who treat a bar like they were still in College as Frat boys. Not just here but everywhere you go.

Overall, we were very happy here no recommend it to others who want to be in a true rain Forest experience.

Room Tip: Take a downstairs room with the outside shower. Great to have multiple times daily.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

It is a typical jungle Eco lodge, and after having visited already 3 of them, this is the least well kept. What saves it, is the nice location which is facing Arenal volcano. Everything in the hotel is a bit old now, the cleaning is average if not poor and today at 14.30 the cleaner had not appeared yet. Strange, but when I called the reception they said that " she comes within the day anytime". The gardens are nice, but not cleaned regularly and everything looks as if it needs renovation and deep cleaning. In our room there were some spider webs in the bathroom windows showing that the cleaning was not meticulously done.
On the other side, the pool bar is refreshing, making cocktails and providing tasty snacks. The restaurant for dinner is average and rather pricey.
Although in the rooms, there is a brochure advertising the little shop, the shop is empty and looks as if they are closing down.
A final point, all these resorts around Arenal have no access by public transport to La Fortuna or the surrounding restaurants, therefore you need 30 USD just for one ride with a taxi. So highly recommended to rent a car.
I was disappointed overall, since I have experienced much better lodges during this holiday

Room Tip: Number 6 has a great view and an outside jacuzzi.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lost-iguana-Resort, Owner at Lost Iguana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest, I'm sorry you felt our property seemed neglected. I'm not sure when you stayed in December, but between November and December we have retiled the pool, laid marble on the restaurant floor, and replaced all the exterior wood. We have new rattan chairs in the dining room and are replacing most of the furniture in the rooms. We are replacing all the hand painted batik bedspreads and robes in the rooms. We have also exchanged the tile countertops in the bathrooms for marble with granite vessel sinks. Our property is on 120 acres so it is not mowed or cleaned. It is intended to give the guests the feeling of being part of the rainforest. I am sorry the hotel was not as you expected. Sincerely, Elaine
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I just followed signs to this place not knowing it was a resort! Alex was so friendly and gave me a great rate for a lovely suite with a great view of the volcano. I enjoyed the outdoor shower (first floor only) and later took a soak in the outdoor tub too! The spa is totally worth a visit- the massage room is a great place to relax after a day of hiking- you can hear the animals, enjoy the fireplace, and well, of course, get a great massage. The food was great and the menu prices were affordable. Lots of vegetarian choices as well. I stayed here my last night in CR and personally think if you have to leave, then you should go out with a bang.

Note: I took a hike by myself, which was not advised by the resort. I walked the Dos Rios trail. This is a natural trail, so its not as maintained as Cerro Chato and the volcano trails. About 30 minutes into the hike, something very loud gruffed and lunged at me from a bush. I think it may have been a wild pig, but I turned and ran back before bothering to get a good look. Lesson learned: enjoy the trails, but wear hiking boots/shoes and DON'T go by yourself or if you're not in good enough shape to get out of there if you must!

Room Tip: The bottom floor has a lovely dual outdoor shower. The top floor means you can sleep with the doors...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My family and I loved this hotel. There are several things that make it special. The first is the arrival experience; we had been heading to this hotel for hours and we were pretty tired. I guess that was evident and our bags were quickly taken to our room by a staff member along with our driver (we had so many bags they drove it up there ha) and we were in the lobby drinking some sort of fruit drink. Really good!

So after my dad signed some papers (less than 30 seconds...seemed like it was already done), we were offered a ride up to the "room", but we decided to walk. This property is pretty hilly and more so than I expected....but it does give you the great view. It is also spread out, but it's fun wandering through the tropical plants on the trails and ending up at the pool or at more trails!

The "room" was amazing. I attached some photos to show you what I mean: A nice sized living/common area with chairs on the back patio with a drop-dead send a postcard view of the volcano. It couldn't get any better in terms of the view. My brother and I shared a room, which was gigantic. I think we both had king beds and the view was amazing as well....the beds were great and it was just a great look. My parents loved their bedroom with an amazing outdoor shower and a outdoor bathtub overlooking the volcano!

It is all very private and I loved how spacious it was. I was most surprised at the size of the room my brother & I shared and how nice the furnishings were.

It was pretty rainy the entire time I was there, but one day we saw the volcano in all its glory and it was epic!

Great hotel if you're in the area and nice for families as some of their villas/casitas are pretty big. Our family loved it and my brother and I could chat/play games all night long and my parents wouldn't be bothered.

The staff is wonderful and the housekeeping is as well. A nice find! However, I don't know if all of their rooms are that big....we got the bigger one just because we had four people with us. But it's worth it because the view is great, it's private and although we're a loving family, it's nice to be able to spread out at times and do different things.

Would love to go back!

Room Tip: Get the bigger rooms/suites....privacy, views and their huge
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have visited many hotels in the Arenal Volcano area and The Lost Iguana is our favorite. The design of the hotel is in perfect harmony with nature. The resort is built into the rainforest with a design that compliments nature instead of overshadowing it.

The rooms are extremely luxurious. We love the private Jacuzzi on the patio of the room along with the private rain showers.

From the moment we arrived we received nothing but the best customer service from the staff. They let us know we could call them at any time to be shuttled around the resort via golf cart. The twin pools (one chilled one warm) are a perfect way to unwind after a day of activities. We also enjoyed the swim up bar and bar stools in the water.

Oh and the breakfast! The breakfast is included in the price of the room but is far superior to other hotel breakfast options. We have full on meals (huevos rancheros, pancakes, sausage etc.) and fabulous coffees and teas.

Overall, I find the Lost Iguana to be a great value for the price. Many other resorts in the area are more expensive but don't offer this level of service, luxury or cuisine. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Go for the luxury suite so you have a private Jacuzzi and indoor/outdoor shower.
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I've always wanted to experience a real jungle rain forest and the Lost Iguana is the perfect place to do so. We stayed in room 23 which was very spacious, nicely decorated, beautiful view with its own pond just outside the balcony, BUT the best part of the room for me was the outdoor shower. You walk through the bathroom and and the other side you walk into a huge two person shower room surrounded by plants but at the same time screened in so the bugs don't get in. The spring fed water is so soft too.

There's lots to do in the area as you can see from my trailer: http://youtu.be/y3L_kSKqqWw

Access road to The Lost Iguana is at the West end of the dam situated at the East end of Lake Arenal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!