“My Favorite Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Windsor, California, United States
“My Favorite Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

It's the Best (Room/People and Location), and I've been down there eight times.

Love it

Room Tip: Loved the End Rooms with the Stone Showers (two and open on the top)
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Mountain View, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

This was a nice place in a beautiful location, but it was our least favorite in Costa Rica. It was nice, but just not as remarkable as the others. The view of Arenal was great (although it was cloudy most of the time we were there). I liked being walking distance to the Hanging bridges, which were great. The rooms were clean, but the wood was squeaky (not sure why) and it was a bit dated. The food was good but not as remarkable as the other places. We stayed 3 nights and probably should've eaten in town more often (although we didn't have a car with us).

The gym was tiny and not all that useful. The pool was pretty although it was too chilly to hang out there. We enjoyed the pool at the EcoThermales hot springs (go there instead of Tabacon, as its much cheaper and very nice).

Overall, I think this area is beautiful, but it was chillier than I had expected. Its great as a base for outdoor activities, including hikes, zip lining, white water rafting, etc. Yes, this lodge is reasonably priced, but in retrospect, I would've paid a bit more to stay at a more high end place such as The Springs or Arenal Nayara.

Room Tip: The celebrity suites have a great view but are quite a hike from the pool/restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Rocio V, Owner at Lost Iguana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
I am sorry that you visited during a cold, rainy time. It is true that Dec and January can drop to the 60s and with rain it does seem chilly. There are several options at the hotel designed to let guests enjoy their stay if they come during a chilly period. The resort has two pools, the top is a heated swim up bar and partially covered so it is delightful to sit in the rain and have a drink and chat with other guests. In the spa we have saunas complimentary for all guests to use. And best of all we have thatched massage bungalows that have fireplaces and heated massage tables. To have a massage and listen to the rain is a special treat.
We always regret when people encounter a lot of rain and the resort has specials during those days to help the guest's visit. We dry clothes and shoes for free, have a specially priced hour massage for $45, and we extend happy hour from 2 - 6PM. Most guests understand it is a rainforest and are happy, but obviously everyone would prefer sunny weather.
I do not know how to respond to your comment about the squeaky wood floors in the rooms. We have tile and acid stained concrete in all the rooms. There is no wood that can squeak. Possibly you had us mixed up with another hotel.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We just got back from CR and the Lost Iguana was one of the hotels we stayed at. We were looking for a hotel that was tropical feeling and this one fit the bill. The grounds were lush and beautiful. Great volcano view from our room. Restaurant was very good, but we did venture out a bit to eat elsewhere (just for a change of pace). There are a lot of hills at this resort, so be prepared to hike to your room (they do provide a shuttle though).

It's about 25 minutes from the center of La Fortuna. We had a car and made the trip back and forth several times. The Hanging Bridges are right up the road from the hotel and the Arenal Observatory Lodge, along with Tabacon Hot Springs, are minutes away.(I should clarify, the Arenal Observatory Lodge entry road is minutes away. The lodge itself takes some time to get to because the road is soooooo bad)

Unfortunately we didn't get to use the pool because it was raining a lot.(One night we had to run to dinner because of the rain and got completely soaked) But it's a beautiful pool and they have a great happy hour next to it. We also took one of the resort's trails. It was about a two hour hike and because of the rain, it was really muddy. I wouldn't suggest taking this hike in the rain. Could be slippery and dangerous. However, we had a brake in the weather so it was a bit of an adventure for us and we had fun.

We weren't lucky enough to see many animals in the area or the hike, so made a visit to Danaus Ecocenter which I would highly recommend. It's sort of like a zoo (they have caimans, toucans, a butterfly garden, frogs..etc.), but most of the animals really aren't caged in. In fact we finally saw a sloth, it was dangling over the Ecocenter's perimeter wall just hanging out and eating.

Overall, I really liked this resort and if I ever go back to the Arenal area, I would definitely book a room here again.

Komoka Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Lost Iguana Resort and Spa was just what we wanted. It was isolated. Very quiet and the grounds is fantastic with all the vegetation. Our Junior Suite was #20 on the top floor located on the corner of the building. Great view of the volcano. This resort is a very romantic place.
The service that we got was immeasurable, from the front desk ,to the waiters and the spa girls and baggage handlers. They seem to like working at the Lost Iguana and it showed in the service that we got.
The food was very, very, good. We where not disappointed with the menu. Great chef. Nice man.
The spa was fabulous place to have a message. My husband and I went twice. They have quaint little huts for two with a fireplace.
They do have trails on the property but they are very unkempt. That was fine with us we loved hiking them. We didn't see anybody else while we where on them.
They had a lovely pool area, we only used it once. We where busy doing day tours.
I really can't say anything different from the other reviews. Everybody is right about how lovely this resort is. Elaine Knight, the owner,did a fantastic job in designing this resort. Hats off to her and also to her wonderful employees.
Lost Iguana is a place that we would come back to. We just loved this Resort.

Room Tip: Room 20. It is a short walk to everything.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I visited the Lost Iguana with my girlfriend and we found it a perfect spot for privacy
and adventure. The Hanging bridges were just up the road and Tabacon Hot Springs and
Zip Line just minutes away.
When not out on adventure we loved our room with the volcano view and the walks on
the grounds of the hotel. The restaurant was good and my girl friend loved the spa.
This is by far the best hotel in costa rica.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 has an amazing view of the erupting volcano. It is out of this world
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

i haven't been to the lost Iguana for a few years and I loved it then and after having gone back I loved it even more. The spa, which wasn't quite finished when Is fantastic. Even though in Costa Rica the Balinese decor was beautiful and the treatment matched any I ever had in Bali. I loved also wi fi in every room and every night except for one we ate at the restaurant. The food was great and we really found no reason to dine elsewhere. If you want peace, quiet in an elegant atmosphere visit the Lost Iguana.

Room Tip: Every room has a volcano view but we liked the rooms closer to the restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Davie,Florida,United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I stayed at the lost Iguana hotel and resort/spa for three day's in late november 2011. The staff all spoke perfect english and were extremely helpful. As all the room's are, my suite had a perfect view of the Arenal volcano. There were many extra's included during my stay such as transportation to local attraction's/tour's and La Fortuna, free internet and local call's within Costa Rica etc. Unlike many of the other resort's I visited in Costa Rica the food was outstanding and the waiter's very friendly. I chose to leave my beautiful balcony open while sleeping and was delighted to awaken to two butterfly's on my lampshade one morning and a humming bird in my room the next day. The nature trail's surrounding the hotel were delightful and free. I also took advantage of the spa and recieved a massage beyond anything I've ever experienced. Overall, I would rate this resort first class and recomend it to anyone wishing to partake of both first rate hotel acomendation's coupled with the experince of viewing the rain forest and the volcano. No doubt in mine that this resort rate's a five star

Room Tip: The room's/suite's all face the volcano and rain forest so the quality of the room's are...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!