“Yoga trip at Lost Iguana Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Delray Beach, Florida
“Yoga trip at Lost Iguana Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Just returned from my 2nd year teaching at Lost Iguana for A Yoga Retreat! As a yoga teacher, LI is ideally located for those looking to reconnect with mind, body, and nature.

Why You’ll Love It: Every room has perfect views of the volcano, this resort offers up yoga and spa treatments smack in the middle of “the most biologically intense place on Earth”. Hot swim up bar & open-air restaurant, secluded spa with saunas, gymnasium and massage bungalows.

Where You’ll Salute the Sun: on a yoga platform hanging over the rain forest facing Adrenal Volcano

Post-Yoga Diversions: waterfall hikes, kayaking, hanging bridges, Sky Tram Canopy Tour, Thermal hot springs, zip-lining, horseback riding, and spa treatments
 When To Go: Yoga & Meditation retreat October 5–13. Other retreats offered throughout the year. Just Go! Great Pricing! www.lostiguanaresort.com

Room Tip: Suites are fantastic!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed at the Lost Iguana for one night during our trip. Our first choice, the Nayara was not available on our arrival day in La Fortuna. Unfortunately, we arrived at night and were not able to appreciate the grounds of the hotel as much as I would have liked.

On the plus side, the rooms are EXACTLY as advertised. We stayed in a luxury suite. There is no trick photography at all. The room was very spacious, as was the bath and deck. To say it was clean wouldn't do it justice. It was immaculate. Yes, I think there was a tiny gecko and maybe a fly in the bathroom, but, hey, this is Costa Rica. The view of the volcano the next morning was superb, and also precisely as advertised. We took a tour of the hanging bridges in the morning and then checked out to go to the Nayara in the afternoon. I really wish we could have enjoyed the other amenities of the hotel, but just didn't have time. Another plus was the rate – 40% off of rack rates!

Here's where they went wrong: After arrival we headed to the restaurant for dinner with the couple we were traveling with. We brought down our own bottle of wine they had bought in the duty free shop. The restaurant was fine with bringing our own bottle (and no corking fee – big kudos for this). During the dinner we finished our bottle, and ordered another. The waiter suggested a bottle of Pinot Noir. While I was going to order the Malbec, I decided to take the waiters suggestion. The waiter opens the bottle and hands me the cork. This should have been my first hint there was something wrong. I don't usually see wine stains half way up the cork. He poured a taste and I sniffed it. I very rarely get anything out of sniffing – the alcohol smell overpowers all the other aromas for me. When I smelled this sample, I knew something was wrong. I tasted it, and it just tasted bad. I gave the others the small glass of wine and we agreed it had turned, or the cork was bad. This is the very first time I have ever refused a bottle of wine at a restaurant. The waiter took the bottle away, and we continued our conversation. I then notice the waiter and manager (I assume he was in charge) a few tables away with the bad bottle of wine. The manager tastes the wine and then looks over at the table. He walks away, and then comes back to our table.

He said to me, “I have tasted the wine. It is fine. You will have to make another selection.”

Really??? Did he think I was trying to impress my friends and spouse by refusing to take a bottle of wine?

I chose a bottle of Malbec (which they were out of, and took the Malbec/Cabernet blend), and then I sat and stewed about his arrogance. I drink a fair amount of wine. I am not a wine snob, but I don't like vinegar as a drink, either. There were a few ways this could have been handled, and I believe this gentleman chose the worst way possible.

Looking back at it, perhaps this was just a difference in culture. And maybe I am over blowing a petty situation. But, at that time, I felt very much maligned. For a hotel that caters to a lot of people form the USA, I would expect a certain difference in decorum. This didn't ruin our stay at the hotel, but it knocked it down from being worth five stars on TA for me.

A few more observations:

The hotel is just like everyone describes. It is on a steep hillside and getting to or from your room can be an exertion. The paths can be slippery after a rain. The hotel has a person that will drive you to your room, but he didn't seem overly friendly.

The hotel is a good distance from town, but we knew that from reading other reviews. It did cost us an extra $30 to get to the hotel from our overnight rafting trip with Exploradores Outdoors (great review pending for them!). No big deal.

Check in was courteous, but not as welcoming as the Nayara. Again, not a big deal, but worth noting.

Overall, I thoroughly thought the hotel was worth the price we paid. I am not sure I would pay the full rack rate on another trip, but would probably go back (for the same price) when we return to Costa Rica. I will bring plenty of wine with me, though.

Room Tip: Bring your own wine.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Rocio V, Owner at Lost Iguana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Dear Mr. Snowe,
I am very sorry the way the wait staff handled the situation regarding the bad wine. I am the owner, and arrived the day after you left. Our goal at the Lost Iguana is to always try to make people happy, no matter what. Sometimes that's impossible, but we do try.
The manager and wait staff immediately told me the situation regarding the wine and asked how they should have handled it. After hearing the story, I told them they had been wrong. If a customer says a wine is bad, there should be no discussion. It is my understanding that you wanted the same wine you had ordered the first time and they were afraid of opening a second bottle in case you didn't like that one either. Whatever happened, it is up to the guest to request whatever kind of bottle he wants and it should have been done graciously,and they should apologize for the bad bottle. We had a meeting with the entire staff and this will not happen again. Please accept my sincere apology.

In spite of your bad experience, I very much appreciate your positive report of the property and your generosity to give us 4 stars. Please feel free to contact me directly if you do decide to return in the future. Sincerely, Elaine
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Amazing Spa
My friends and I checked into different options for a Spa Vacation, but everything we liked was very expensive. A couple who had stayed at Lost Iguana told us the hotel had the best spa they had ever seen. After checking out prices, we got a great off season price and stayed there for 6 days. Not only was the spa amazing, but the rest of the resort was wonderful. The rooms are decorated with unique wood pieces that are made by artists in Costa Rica. All the rooms have perfect views of the volcano and large porches with rocking chairs to enjoy the view.
I had 4 spa treatments while I was there and both Deana and Carla were excellent. The presentation was 5 star. Upon arriving they gave us hand painted robes to wear, we had time to relax next to a water wall and have flavored ice water, then we went along a curved wood path to the individual bungalows. It is outside, but has doors they closed when it got chilly. The best was walking in and seeing the fireplace glowing and smelling the incense. Before the massage I sat down and they gave me a delicious tea while scrubbing and giving me a foot / leg massage. One other thing I liked is that they have heavy wood beds that don't move when getting the massage - I know, I'm picky. I've had other hot stone massages before, and this was by far the best.
Besides the spa, we also loved the tours, especially the zip lines, and the Hanging Bridges. Almost every afternoon we would hang out in the hot pool/ swim up bar and Jonathan made us great drinks during their 2 hour happy hour.
All the staff were friendly and food was great. We did go into town and ate at La Choroza, which was fun.
I would definitely go back to Lost Iguana and recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
highland beach, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I went with a girl friend and we had a blast. Loved the views, hanging out in the hot tub and being served by Jonathan (great casique sours!) The spa was unbelievable and we both had 2 treatments. Martin, the chef, created some new dishes for us to try which we loved. The landscaping made me feel like I was in paradise.
Wish we had stayed longer!

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw had the same fantastic views!
Cali; Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

It was very nice to spend 4 days at this beautiful place with my wife and daughter. It has the most incredible view of the volcano arenal. The attention, rooms and pool were very friendly and the morning walking at the gardens was very healthy. Dont miss the spa. It is some thing diferent.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Escazú, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I had heard from  friends Living in San Jose about this great place Called Lost Iguana and That they Had a Incredible Spa , Living in San Jose where Spas are abundant and exclusive , intrigued I decided to book a Appointment for  a me and a Girl friend a Spa Date and a Nights Stay , We were blown away the Spa is Over The Top and a 5 star cannot do it justice from The Incredible Massage by top professionals , Karla & Karen, to The facial that took you to another world and The massage room was Warm and Cheerful with a lovely Fire Place and kept in The highest Standards The friendly Staff and The Beautiful gardens Perfect for Morning walks , It was a Fine Treat away from The City , thank you Lost Iguana and Staff once again , Pura Vida

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is my second stay at Lost Iguana and it gets better every time. Between the beautiful rain forest, tropical birds and the view of the Volcano - there is no better place. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the food is wonderful and the spa is one of my favorites. The couples massage is a must with the background of the sounds of the birds and the water running in the creek and sometimes even the sounds of the active volcano make it a memorable experience. They also have the best gift shop around and I always have to get an additional suitcase or carry on to bring back all my goodies. And if you’re a hiker, this is the place. Hiking in the rainforest is fabulous and great exercise and it is part of this fabulous resort. I would highly recommend this resort to all my family, friends and all of you reading these reviews. Sharon

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lost Iguana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!