The hotel location was very nice. A short distance away from the nearest town of La Fortuna. The gardens around this hotel were amazing and made for some wonderful pictures. The view of the volcano was stunning. Only a few hours out of two days it was shrouded in clouds, but thats how it goes. We had a private nook in the back of the room with rocking chairs. The hotel has two swimming pools and two jacuzzis which we made use of every night. The breakfast buffet was quite impressive. There are some pretty spoiled reviewers here giving unfair reviews of the buffet breakfast, but I thought a spread of pancakes, eggs, rice and beans, fresh fruits, sausage and various other items with a person making omelets to taste, fresh squeezed orange juice and milk, Costa Rican coffee and tea was pretty excellent. Breakfast was probably my favorite thing about this place and we scheduled our tours around when we would be able to get breakfast in.
The gardens around this hotel were absolutely stunning and the property offered various walking paths through them. There is a sort of secret hiking trail that goes down by a small river that we discovered by accident. They also grow various fruits on property that I wouldn't be surprised we ate at breakfast every morning.
Desk staff was pretty good, sometimes a bit less than enthusiastic to help out. My daughter left her anklet by the pool one night and when we asked whether anyone turned it in, the front desk lady just said no without even checking the lost and found. Overall they were pretty helpful, doing a bit of extra investigation for us, calling the cab companies and getting rates and telling us about tours that they offer that weren't listed on the tour sheet (with some inquiry first). However there was a noticeable difference between their enthusiasm with us and other (more affluent or white looking guests). I'm from the states and so used to a bit of underlying prejudice and it would have been nice to escape that for once.
The free shuttle to town was really fantastic and the drivers we had were wonderful. One even dropping us off right at the bus stop rather than their specific drop off location. They are the shuttles for transporting employees so they run very limited times of the day, I think maybe only two or three times. If you can't make the times, there are plenty of taxi's in town and the going rate to or from the hotel is around $10.
We had cute animals made out of towels and sprinkled with flower petals by the cleaning people. We did book our tours through the hotel and they were competitively priced (don't go by the prices on the website, they give you a price sheet with better prices once you get there). We did not try the spa because we usually arn't interested in those types of services, but we did look at the spa menu and the prices rival those in the states. In town there is a place that offers massages for $25.
Overall, I would give it an A-, which I think is pretty solid.
My big suggestions to the hotel: throw a screen door on behind the door to the back nook. We liked to leave the door cracked when we sat outside to hear for our kid, but that let all types of (at times crazy looking) insects into the room. We know we are in a tropical environment so it was no big deal, but a small thing like a screen would help with those issues.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At VOLCANO LODGE AND SPRINGS, located in La Palma, La Fortuna de San Carlos, at the foot of the majestic Arenal Volcano, our hot springs and lush tropical garden gives you joy and relaxation to our guests and companions. Undoubtedly, our location allows you to witness the imposing Arenal Volcano from a vantage point. QUALITY SERVICE: Knowing that service is the main reason of hospitality, the Volcano Lodge & Gardens’ team, will do our best to make your stay a very fond memory to take home. FACILITIES: All our 66 rooms are Superior and non smoking, have deluxe finishes, 2 comfortable full size beds or 1 king size bed, TV/cable, telephone, air-conditioned, coffee maker, hot water shower, hairdryer and a nice terrace facing the Volcano. We also offer 4 rooms for handicap. RESTAURANT:Sura Restaurant, capacity: 120 people, we’ll be offering you our traditional local and international food, while you enjoy the majestic view of the volcano, birds surrounded nature. You can ask for room service too. OTHER FACILITIES: *Two swimming pools for adults, two swimming pools for children and two Jacuzzis, all of them with view to the Volcano.*Laundry service, Private parking, Internet Access / Wireless Free, Tours information, nature trail, Playground.* Massages Service from 9 am to 9 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, T4B, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Volcano Lodge & Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano Lodge And Gardens
- Volcano Lodge & Gardens Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Volcano Hotel
- Volcano Lodge & Springs Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park