This hotel has large, clean comfortable rooms opening onto tropical gardens. They promote the rooms as all having a view directly onto the volcano and mine certainly did - very convenient for relaxing in comfort while the volcano disappeared and re-emerged from the cloud.
The staff at reception were very helpful. When I wanted to do a specific day trip they called four different operators to find one that was running the tour on the day I wanted.
The maids also did a great job - my towel was folded into spectacular shapes including an elephant complete with real orchids behind its ears!
The restaurant is also good (there was a buffet on the days I was there with fruit, traditional Costa Rican breakfast e.g. rice and beans) and european breakfast items like toast. There are two pools as well although I didn't have time for swimming.
I would have liked to spend another night at this hotel just to enjoy the facilities there.
My only disappointment was that the volcano stopped doing pyrotechnics about two years ago, so now there is just steam coming from the summit rather than the lava show at night.
A few tips:
- As well as the more well-known attractions in the area (volcano, thermal spa) I would recommend a day trip to Rio Celeste. Two rivers (both clear) come together and when the minerals combine the water becomes bright blue. It was one of the highlights of my trip.
- Many of the activities at Arenal and Monte Verde are similar e.g. hanging bridges, zipline, horse-riding. The ones at Monte Verde seemed less expensive (e.g. $50 at Arenal vs $30 - 40 at Monte Verde), I think both areas are worth visiting but it would be useful to plan which activities to do in each place to get the best value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At VOLCANO LODGE AND SPRINGS, located in La Palma, La Fortuna de San Carlos, at the foot of the majestic Arenal Volcano, our hot springs and lush tropical garden gives you joy and relaxation to our guests and companions. Undoubtedly, our location allows you to witness the imposing Arenal Volcano from a vantage point. QUALITY SERVICE: Knowing that service is the main reason of hospitality, the Volcano Lodge & Gardens’ team, will do our best to make your stay a very fond memory to take home. FACILITIES: All our 66 rooms are Superior and non smoking, have deluxe finishes, 2 comfortable full size beds or 1 king size bed, TV/cable, telephone, air-conditioned, coffee maker, hot water shower, hairdryer and a nice terrace facing the Volcano. We also offer 4 rooms for handicap. RESTAURANT:Sura Restaurant, capacity: 120 people, we’ll be offering you our traditional local and international food, while you enjoy the majestic view of the volcano, birds surrounded nature. You can ask for room service too. OTHER FACILITIES: *Two swimming pools for adults, two swimming pools for children and two Jacuzzis, all of them with view to the Volcano.*Laundry service, Private parking, Internet Access / Wireless Free, Tours information, nature trail, Playground.* Massages Service from 9 am to 9 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, Odigeo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Volcano Lodge & Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano Lodge And Gardens
- Volcano Lodge & Gardens Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Volcano Hotel
- Volcano Lodge & Springs Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park