“Best view of volcano” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Volcano Lodge & Springs

You added Volcano Lodge & Springs to your Saves list
Volcano Lodge & Springs
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Fortuna de San Carlos-Arenal Lake road | 7 Km West from Downtown, Road To Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 21007, Costa Rica (Formerly Volcano Lodge & Gardens)   |
Announcement
SPRING AT HOT SPRINGS!
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Corvallis, Oregon
“Best view of volcano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

The sound of rocks flying down the mountain side at night are amazing. You actually can see fire and lava from your balcony! Freakin' amazing!

Stayed April 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

We spent 3 nights @ the Volcano Lodge and I must say, the workers are very nice and professional. We stayed in the 300 series rooms which is about a 5-7 minute walk from the lobby but you can ask the front desk to send the golf cart to pick you up if you don't like walking.

The rooms are very clean and safe. They have a safe in each room to store passports, money, valuables etc. There's also a porch in the back where you can relax after a long day of tours. We didn't get to see the Volcano cause it was cloudy pretty much all the days we were there.

There are 2 restaurants at this hotel, one in the front (by the lobby) and one in the back (by the swim up pool). We had lunch at both and I liked the one in front the best.

I would definetely stay at the Volcano Lodge again!!

• Liked — Clean, Staff VERY knowledgeable and friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mankato, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

I stayed at Volcano Lodge and was very happy with my decision to do so. I was impressed with how clean the grounds and rooms were. The staff was excellent and helpful. The rooms were nice and the best part was the patio outside. Great view of the Arenal Volcano! The pool was relaxing and I plan on coming back here with my children. Volcano Lodge and the Arenal area are perfect for a family vacation.

• Liked — Value - greate rooms for the price!
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

My friend and I stayed at Volcano Lodge in mid-September during the Low/Green/Rainy season for 3 days. This was my 2nd trip to Costa Rica. We picked Volcano Lodge based on the Tripadvisor reviews. Overall, great experience based on value, cleanliness, service.

The hotel is located between La Fortuna and the National Park. The units had double bed, was clean, no bugs, a quiet, nice A/C and safe with cable TV. Outside had chair viewing the volcano although it was frequently cloudy but we would stare an the many birds flying on the nice manicured grounds.

It came with buffet breakfast which was good. We also ate a couple of dinners at the restaurant there too, and it was solid. We thought Costa Rica food was mediocre overall, so the food at the rest. was no better or worst than other meals.

I saw a bunch of reviewers commenting on the rude or indifferent front desk. However, we did not find that to be the case. They booked all our trips, answered questions and gave us late checkout.

The hotel is not a 5 star hotel or anything, but for the price, the good, clean rooms, relaxing location, etc., I recommend for the value, and overall comfort of the hotel.

• Liked — Value, Location, View
  • Disliked — Need Taxi to La Fortuna
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LA, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

First of, let me say that the place is very well maintained. It is clean and comfortable. I also stayed in #211 and while you can see a gorgeous view of the volcano, it was explained to me by the staff that a few years ago, the volcano changed the direction in which the lava was spewing.

In order to get the chance to see the lava be prepared to have a car rental so that you can go to the base of the volcano. When we got there, we were surprised to find a ton of people doing the same thing. Many had paid to be part of a tour just to be driven there.

Back to the hotel...
The people who work in the back restaurant are very sweet as well as the guy that they send if you need anything. They are very professional. I did have a problem with a girl who I think doesn't even work there. I think she's the owner's girlfriend or something. When our room was being cleaned, I saw her come in also. She wasn't doing anything but standing there staring. I didn't think much of it until I went to check out the next day when she made a catty remark to the two guys at the reception desk. She said it loud enough for me to hear but when I turned around was a coward who couldn't look at me in the face. The other two guys just laughed like bafoons. Its just a lack of class.

The whole time I had been there, this woman had constantly been watching me. It was at that point that I realized that her coming into the room was just for the purpose of being nosey. I mentioned to my boyfriend what happened and he reminded me of the previous day's visit by her at our room. "She's just jealous", he said. 'I noticed it yesterday". The funny thing is that I hadn't until then. So beware if you have a thin, 18 - 21 year old with a big apple face and a small chin checking you out that this woman has a big inferiority complex. She just sits around and does nothing around the property.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
waukesha, wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Volcano Lodge for 3 nights in August 2007. This is during their "green" (i.e. rainy season). We found this hotel to be very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. The staff at the front desk was pleasant, but not overly helpful or cordial. They did speak English very well, which was helpful due to our limited Spanish. This hotel also offered a computer in the lobby with free internet access for customers, which was great.

There are 2 restaurants in this hotel, both of which have good food, a good variety, and also priced reasonably. The "international" restaurant down by the pool catches fresh fish out of Lake Arenal and serves it up each night (the tilapia was delicious!) The pool is also very nice and clean. We did not use any of the spa services, but those had a nice offering. The bonuses about the hotel room itself are: very spacious (2 beds), in-room safe (free to use), nice sized porch with two chairs with a perfect view of the volcano (although the lava was not flowing on our side at this time). We also very much appreciated the weather-stripping on the doors as we did not have one single bug in our room. My husband was also a big fan of the TV with English-spoken Sportscenter on nightly! TBS is also shown in English.

The biggest complaint about this hotel is that it is not within walking distance of anything. The town of La Fortuna is about a 6-7 minute taxi ride away and there you will find lots of shops, restaurants, an art gallery and a park. Definitely good to pass the time for one afternoon/evening, but not much more. The hotel did offer many tours (volcano/rainforest hike, ziplines, hot springs, hanging bridges, etc.) to make up for the lack of attractions in the area ... but those of course cost $$ per person. We also did not like that there was no gift shop or anything else, as we did not bring ponchos and had to go into La Fortuna to purchase them there. Overall, we liked this hotel and would stay there again. That being said, if we were to say in this area again, we would probably try to find a hotel of the same caliber in La Fortuna, simply because we got bored sitting at the hotel watching TV while it was raining outside and we could not do tours.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

We stayed at the Volcano Lodge for 2 nights. Overall, the hotel was clean and had lovely grounds. The included buffet breakfast was plentiful with fresh fruit, juice, assorted breads and meats and a made-to-order omelet station (don't forget your breakfast tickets when you go!). The view of the volcano from our verandah was breathtaking. The location is good for getting to different areas of LaFortuna -- just a short taxi ride. There was a computer available for Internet access in the front lobby which was useful. Wireless is also available in the lobby free of charge. The room was very clean and the maid made towel animals which our kids liked.

We ate at both restaurants while we were there and the food was very tasty and also a good value.

The only negative aspect in our stay was that the front desk staff were not very friendly or helpful. It seemed like asking questions of them was a nuisance rather than their job. Also, when we arrived, our luggage was put into a van and we were driven to our room which was literally about 20 steps away from the lobby (6 rooms away). Can you spell T-I-P?

We would stay here again if we were ever to visit LaFortuna again.

• Liked — Terrific value
  • Disliked — Unaccommodating front desk staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Volcano Lodge & Springs? Share your experiences!