Two friends and I took a trip to Costa Rica and stayed at the Montana de Fuego from 8/8- 8/13. we bought the Living Social deal in May for 5 nights that included welcome cocktails, breakfast each day and two excursions/activities each. As three girls in our early twenties and on a budget, it was nice enough for us.
The bungalows are cute and private and the grounds are pretty and have a great view of the volcano. The air conditioning worked and the shower was good enough so we were happy. The hair dryer in the room was good as well. The beds needed a little updating but they were comfortable enough. The pool area was what needed to most updating. The lounge chairs were rusty and a few were broken. It is also a smaller pool area, but there were not many people there while we stayed there (or they were out doing other activities) so getting a spot by the pool was never an issue. The grounds are spread out, so I would bring an umbrella if you stay here since you need to walk a little bit to get to the lobby or restaurant and you will get wet if it is raining.
The hot springs: not really "hot springs" more like hot tubs that are trying to look like hot springs. I would still try to go to the others in the area to check out the authentic ones, but these were nice to have close by to relax in at night.
The staff at the hotel are friendly for the most part. We needed three towels in our room, and we had to ask for an additional one each day because the maid kept taking the extra and not replacing it, which was a little annoying.
We had to ask for the welcome cocktails promised by the Living Social deal so be sure to speak up if you have that.
The restaurant had good food but was overpriced (my chicken dinner was $21). The breakfast was good though, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, omlettes, eggs, plantains, toast, etc. so we almost never ate lunch because we were still full from breakfast. We ate in La Fortuna all but one night (the night of my $21 chicken). The hotel transportation is $14 each way into the city, but we had GREAT local food for very cheap so it was worth it in my opinion. Because of that, this hotel might be a good option for you if you are renting a car.
Wifi: there is wifi throughout the property, however it was very spotty unless you were in the lobby. This was a little annoying but I wasn't on vacation to be on my phone so checking it in the lobby every now and then wasn't a big deal to me.
We did have to wear wristbands to get breakfast, however after the first few days ours fell off and we did not have a problem since the staff recognized us by then.
Overall, it was a good enough hotel. Needs some updating by the pool and in general, but the AC worked, the shower was good, and the room had enough space for the three of us to spread out.
- Also Known As:
- Montana De Fuego Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Montana De Fuego Hotel And Spa
- Montana De Fuego Hotel
- Montana De Fuego Resort
- Montana De Fuego Hotel & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL THE SPLENDOR AND ADVENTURE OF LA FORTUNA JUST IN ONE PLACE!Welcome to an experience full of adventure and nature in Costa Rica...Just by the foot of the Arenal Volcano stands Montaña de Fuego Hotel & Spa, a hotel inspired by its great natural environment, surrounded by 35 hectares of tropical forest on our prívate reserve.In balance with nature develop a site of rest and fun that makes you feel in a new world.With our All-Inclusive Package in La Fortuna, you can enjoy aholiday full of sustainable adventure and cultural experience.Montaña de Fuego Hotel & Spa has received the Fordor's Choice Award for several consecutive years, distinguished by Fodor’s Travel as the best of hotels in the region of La Fortuna de San Carlos.PURE ADVENTURE IN OUR Experience the best and exclusive eco adventure tours, feel the extreme nature of tropical forests and the powerful energy of the Arenal Volcano! A BREATH FOR TOUR SOUL… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, Otel, Venere, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.