My daughter wanted to have a mother/daughter trip Costa Rica to celebrate her 30th birthday, and she left the details of the trip to me. When I read about this hotel, it appeared to fit our needs and was in the price range where we wanted to be. I was not disappointed with our selection. It was rustic enough where you knew you were not in a Marriott, and it gave you just enough of a feel for being in the wilderness. The Arenal Volcano was right there for us to see, whenever the clouds would allow us to view it, and the property was surrounded with tropical vegitation. We had a mini suite, with a bedroom and a living room. The bathroom was large with a jacuzzi/shower. It also had a hair dryer in the bathroom. In the hallway area there was a counter with sink, a mini and a microwave. In the living area, there was a small refrig which was stocked with bottled water, soda and a candy bar, all available for purchase. Our room was on the ground level, and had a door which opened to a paved porch area. In both the bedroom and living room, 2 of the 4 walls were wall to wall windows, with curtains for privacy. The room had a lot of outlets available to charge your phone, ipad, camera or whatever you needed to charge.
Since we went in the rainy season I should have expected it to rain. We brought our ponchos, and had to use them often. We went to breakfast one morning, and it started pouring while we were eating, forunately we had our umbrellas. It usually did not rain all way, but it was often overcast and very humid even when it wasnt raining.
The breakfast was a buffet, and had a large selection. Food was very tasty. We ate dinner there 2 nights, and the entrees were reasonably priced ($13-22 USD). Restaurant also overlooked the volcano and had 2 walls full windows.
The hotel location was about 5 miles from town (LaFortuna) and the taxi ride was around $12 one way. The hotel shuttle would sometimes take you places for a fee which would probably be less than the cost of a taxi.
We went to The Springs resort to visit the hot springs (it was not far from the hotel). The cost was $50, and it was for a 2 day pass. This is a really good deal because I was pricing the other hot springs nearby on the internet, and they ranged from $30-45 for one day.
The only down side of this experience is that you could not get internet in the room, but they had a computer and free internet in the lobby. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and I would stay here again.
Footnote: Lots of the tours recommended that you wear long pants. Since it was summer we only packed one pair, and wished we had packed at least one more pair.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL THE SPLENDOR AND ADVENTURE OF LA FORTUNA JUST IN ONE PLACE!Welcome to an experience full of adventure and nature in Costa Rica...Just by the foot of the Arenal Volcano stands Montaña de Fuego Hotel & Spa, a hotel inspired by its great natural environment, surrounded by 35 hectares of tropical forest on our prívate reserve.In balance with nature develop a site of rest and fun that makes you feel in a new world.With our All-Inclusive Package in La Fortuna, you can enjoy aholiday full of sustainable adventure and cultural experience.Montaña de Fuego Hotel & Spa has received the Fordor's Choice Award for several consecutive years, distinguished by Fodor’s Travel as the best of hotels in the region of La Fortuna de San Carlos.PURE ADVENTURE IN OUR Experience the best and exclusive eco adventure tours, feel the extreme nature of tropical forests and the powerful energy of the Arenal Volcano! A BREATH FOR TOUR SOUL… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Otel, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Montana De Fuego Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Montana De Fuego Hotel And Spa
- Montana De Fuego Resort
- Montana De Fuego Hotel & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park