“Very satisfied with this resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna. | 8 km west from La Fortuna downtown. On the way to the National Park., La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 824417, Costa Rica   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very satisfied with this resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My daughter wanted to have a mother/daughter trip Costa Rica to celebrate her 30th birthday, and she left the details of the trip to me. When I read about this hotel, it appeared to fit our needs and was in the price range where we wanted to be. I was not disappointed with our selection. It was rustic enough where you knew you were not in a Marriott, and it gave you just enough of a feel for being in the wilderness. The Arenal Volcano was right there for us to see, whenever the clouds would allow us to view it, and the property was surrounded with tropical vegitation. We had a mini suite, with a bedroom and a living room. The bathroom was large with a jacuzzi/shower. It also had a hair dryer in the bathroom. In the hallway area there was a counter with sink, a mini and a microwave. In the living area, there was a small refrig which was stocked with bottled water, soda and a candy bar, all available for purchase. Our room was on the ground level, and had a door which opened to a paved porch area. In both the bedroom and living room, 2 of the 4 walls were wall to wall windows, with curtains for privacy. The room had a lot of outlets available to charge your phone, ipad, camera or whatever you needed to charge.

Since we went in the rainy season I should have expected it to rain. We brought our ponchos, and had to use them often. We went to breakfast one morning, and it started pouring while we were eating, forunately we had our umbrellas. It usually did not rain all way, but it was often overcast and very humid even when it wasnt raining.

The breakfast was a buffet, and had a large selection. Food was very tasty. We ate dinner there 2 nights, and the entrees were reasonably priced ($13-22 USD). Restaurant also overlooked the volcano and had 2 walls full windows.

The hotel location was about 5 miles from town (LaFortuna) and the taxi ride was around $12 one way. The hotel shuttle would sometimes take you places for a fee which would probably be less than the cost of a taxi.

We went to The Springs resort to visit the hot springs (it was not far from the hotel). The cost was $50, and it was for a 2 day pass. This is a really good deal because I was pricing the other hot springs nearby on the internet, and they ranged from $30-45 for one day.

The only down side of this experience is that you could not get internet in the room, but they had a computer and free internet in the lobby. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and I would stay here again.

Footnote: Lots of the tours recommended that you wear long pants. Since it was summer we only packed one pair, and wished we had packed at least one more pair.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Montaña d, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear guest.
Thank you for visiting La Fortuna de San Carlos and take the time to write your comments, which are very important for our Hotel.
First, thank you very much for staying at our Hotel Montaña de Fuego. We greatly appreciate your comments, because it encourages us to persevere, our goal is to achieve maximum satisfaction of our customers.
We will like to encourage you to repeat your experience and see for yourself the quality of our services. I sure you will not be disappointed. Again we appreciate your trust and your positive review of our Hotel Montaña de Fuego Resort & Spa

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My fiance stayed here in January and really liked it. The price was great when you consider that you get your own little bungalow. It was neat, clean and I found the people at the resort to be really cool. The hot springs at the hotel weren't great, but I didn't even know they had em when I booked this place, and spent a day at a local hot spring, so I wasn't really concerned with it. I met another couple from New England, and the staff allowed us to watch the patriots playoff game in the restaurant bar area, and even let us bring in our own booze if we paid a few bucks. They were very accommodating. At no point did I feel nervous at this resort, or see anything that would make me feel unsafe. I read some reviews about theft, And I didn't see anything close to that. For the price, I was very impressed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our room was in poor condition. It was a cabin that was more of a better fit for kids at a camp. The shower had no water pressure and took forever to heat up. The air conditioning unit cooled very little. The curtains are see thru and in the morning the light pours in. The WIFI is free in the lobby a huge plus. Breakfast was so so ... The general areas need TLC ... Pool bar needs work and needed to be cleaned. The spa was not a true spa. The location was fine and I was happy I was only there for one night. The cabins/rooms need a major facelift ... And the pictures posted do not reflect the true conditions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest.
We regret that your stay has not reached the goal that you had in mind. Our main gold is that all guests leave our Hotel pleased and satisfied.
Those situations are not common and we are working on all the observations that you made will not happen again.
In the following days we will be in contact with you to provide a better personalized follow to your comments and inform the improvements of the Hotel and our efforts to achieve a better record of service.
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Hotel Montana de Fuego in July, 2013 and were less than happy. The hotel has individual cabins scattered on a hilltop each with a great view of the . The gardens surrounding the hotel were beautifully landscaped with flowers, plants and grasses. Since the hotel is located four miles west of La Fortuna you're stranded if you don't have your own transportation or you have to take a taxi. The food at the restaurant was very good, but way over priced. The service tip is automatically added to the bill so you can't deduct for poor service which we experienced twice during our stay. Wi-Fi is only received in the reception area and there are two computers there for guests' use. Our room was large, the furnishings were old and dated, it was clean except for an invasion of tiny red ants. The mattresses on each double bed sagged and needed to be replaced. The pillows were in bad shape.
Overall, I would recommend the food quality and the view and not recommend the rest.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view of the volcano.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

large group staying in a facility with plenty of amenities for all, nice pools, hot springs, trails, scenery. food was good, breakfast fantastic. climate change was well needed and deserved for our purposes. did have some ac issues. I mention this because of the resort environment, I feel the facility should check and run mechanical equipment to verify operation.

Room Tip: check a/c.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Saint Maries, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I visited Hotel Montana de Fuego for the second leg of our honeymoon. And it is beautiful. Don't get me wrong. When my husband and I got to our deluxe bungalow, we were super impressed. Even our experience the first day with Carlos, the guy who helps with Tours was excellent. However, as our stay progressed we were made to feel ashamed to even walk into the front doors of the reception.

Reason #1: Our first night at the hotel, we went and ate at the (horribly over priced) Restaurant. The service was very poor and the waiters were very snooty and stiff. For some reason it seemed our waiter wanted nothing to do with us. In the time we sat there waiting for refills on our water, he checked on the table across from us 3 times, without so much as glancing at our table. Even when we tried to get his attention. Then, when our food finally came, it was not at all what my husband ordered. When we asked for a replacement, our waiter actually argued with us repeatedly, and would not get him a replacement of what he ordered. My husband ate the replacement meal, simply out of exhaustion from a hard day of traveling and an unwillingness to argue any longer.

Reason #2: We are a younger couple in our early 20's. I don't think they usually have people our age that aren't with groups or parents. Because when we went to get on the hotel customer computer, we were very rudely told it was only for customers and had to prove we were staying at the hotel, and not just taking up precious computer time.

Reason #3: Expensive hotel, but no internet in the rooms. Even the $15 dollar a night Hostel we were in on our first day in Costa Rica had wifi in the rooms. You had to go to the lobby to get online.

Reason #4: We were scheduled to go on a horseback ride the next day when my left shoulder started having tension spasms. We called to cancel, 12 hours ahead of time (The rule for cancellation was at least 2 hours ahead of time). and very rudely told us every reason we could not cancel. Finally, after I basically had to start crying over the phone to them, I was allowed to cancel our horseback riding.

Reason #5: Ants. ALL OVER OUR BUNGALOW.

Reason #6: (Not as much their fault, just inconvenient) It cost $30 by taxi or transfer to get to La Fortuna and back. We were basically stuck out there. If you are going to stay there, Rent a car. You will regret not having one.

Reason #7: After coming back from Town, we found the door to our bungalow was open. Cleaning staff had been through and forgot to shut the front door. Nothing was stolen, but the idea that care hadn't been taken was upsetting. Especially with all out electronics sitting inside.

A few positive things:
-wonderful & Talented spa staff
-Beautiful view of the volcano
-Loved the Jacuzzi bath tub in our Deluxe Bungalow.

Overall, This hotel was not a good fit for us. The reception staff was disrespectful, and as younger travelers, we were not respected as valued guests. It was very obvious. They care more about making money than helping their guests.

I have traveled to 17 countries. Stayed in Hostels, Homes, campsites and nice hotels. But I have never been treated in any of them how were treated here. We could have dealt with the ants, lack of wifi, and door being left open by maid service if it weren't for how disrespected we felt. If we ever return to La Fortuna area again, we will be taking our business elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We traveled with a large high school student group, and Montana de Fuego fit our needs perfectly. Our travelers had just finished a week of teaching in rural primary schools in Guanacaste, so the cooler clime of the Arenal area was a welcome relief. We used the pool area for a reflection meeting at night and had the whole area to ourselves. The hotel staff was very accommodating and graciously removed the mini-bars from the student rooms before we arrived. We enjoyed the good food at the restaurant for dinner one night and for breakfasts...good food and plentiful for our hungry students. Thank you Montana de Fuego!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Email: reservasonline@montanadefuego.com

Been to Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!