My husband and I visited Hotel Montana de Fuego for the second leg of our honeymoon. And it is beautiful. Don't get me wrong. When my husband and I got to our deluxe bungalow, we were super impressed. Even our experience the first day with Carlos, the guy who helps with Tours was excellent. However, as our stay progressed we were made to feel ashamed to even walk into the front doors of the reception.
Reason #1: Our first night at the hotel, we went and ate at the (horribly over priced) Restaurant. The service was very poor and the waiters were very snooty and stiff. For some reason it seemed our waiter wanted nothing to do with us. In the time we sat there waiting for refills on our water, he checked on the table across from us 3 times, without so much as glancing at our table. Even when we tried to get his attention. Then, when our food finally came, it was not at all what my husband ordered. When we asked for a replacement, our waiter actually argued with us repeatedly, and would not get him a replacement of what he ordered. My husband ate the replacement meal, simply out of exhaustion from a hard day of traveling and an unwillingness to argue any longer.
Reason #2: We are a younger couple in our early 20's. I don't think they usually have people our age that aren't with groups or parents. Because when we went to get on the hotel customer computer, we were very rudely told it was only for customers and had to prove we were staying at the hotel, and not just taking up precious computer time.
Reason #3: Expensive hotel, but no internet in the rooms. Even the $15 dollar a night Hostel we were in on our first day in Costa Rica had wifi in the rooms. You had to go to the lobby to get online.
Reason #4: We were scheduled to go on a horseback ride the next day when my left shoulder started having tension spasms. We called to cancel, 12 hours ahead of time (The rule for cancellation was at least 2 hours ahead of time). and very rudely told us every reason we could not cancel. Finally, after I basically had to start crying over the phone to them, I was allowed to cancel our horseback riding.
Reason #5: Ants. ALL OVER OUR BUNGALOW.
Reason #6: (Not as much their fault, just inconvenient) It cost $30 by taxi or transfer to get to La Fortuna and back. We were basically stuck out there. If you are going to stay there, Rent a car. You will regret not having one.
Reason #7: After coming back from Town, we found the door to our bungalow was open. Cleaning staff had been through and forgot to shut the front door. Nothing was stolen, but the idea that care hadn't been taken was upsetting. Especially with all out electronics sitting inside.
A few positive things:
-wonderful & Talented spa staff
-Beautiful view of the volcano
-Loved the Jacuzzi bath tub in our Deluxe Bungalow.
Overall, This hotel was not a good fit for us. The reception staff was disrespectful, and as younger travelers, we were not respected as valued guests. It was very obvious. They care more about making money than helping their guests.
I have traveled to 17 countries. Stayed in Hostels, Homes, campsites and nice hotels. But I have never been treated in any of them how were treated here. We could have dealt with the ants, lack of wifi, and door being left open by maid service if it weren't for how disrespected we felt. If we ever return to La Fortuna area again, we will be taking our business elsewhere.
- Also Known As:
- Montana De Fuego Hotel And Spa
- Montana De Fuego Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Montana De Fuego Hotel
- Montana De Fuego Resort
- Montana De Fuego Hotel & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL THE SPLENDOR AND ADVENTURE OF LA FORTUNA JUST IN ONE PLACE!Welcome to an experience full of adventure and nature in Costa Rica...Just by the foot of the Arenal Volcano stands Montaña de Fuego Hotel & Spa, a hotel inspired by its great natural environment, surrounded by 35 hectares of tropical forest on our prívate reserve.In balance with nature develop a site of rest and fun that makes you feel in a new world.With our All-Inclusive Package in La Fortuna, you can enjoy aholiday full of sustainable adventure and cultural experience.Montaña de Fuego Hotel & Spa has received the Fordor's Choice Award for several consecutive years, distinguished by Fodor’s Travel as the best of hotels in the region of La Fortuna de San Carlos.PURE ADVENTURE IN OUR Experience the best and exclusive eco adventure tours, feel the extreme nature of tropical forests and the powerful energy of the Arenal Volcano! A BREATH FOR TOUR SOUL… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.