in trying to be objective the front desk staff was friendly so were the 2 guys who offered to help us with our bags to our room. They were soooo helpful it was as if they would not leave once at the room. The place is dated we arrived and they do keep things clean. But the furniture is old not very comfortable and dated. The layout of things is not well thought out, in our room the refrigerator was in the living room with the TV but the microwave was in the hallway with an extra sink and coffee maker. The bedroom had a kingsized bed but my husband kept tripping on the doorstop which was on his side of the bed to keep the door from hitting the bed (put a smaller bed?) it seemed as if the bed took up the entire room...no real space for our suitcases.
The pool had broken chairs, the spa pools (3 of them) all different temperatures and the warmest one became crowded quickly. The outdoor jacuzzi ice cold the indoor jacuzzi policed by the spa - limited by the hours of the spa 10-6p.
This place is far from town - a $15 US cab ride to town each way and the only food nearby is the hotel restaurant which is OVERPRICED and ok and adds surcharges x 2 ...every meal for us cost us 50+ US without a tip.
We booked a morning trip from the hotel through their GO adventures desk for walking (hike) tour of Arenal volcano the morning we were to leave was drizzling and foggy and the guide offered to postpone in case the weather cleared up - said we could try to head out at 1p or even 3p that afternoon....because if we went at that time we would not see anything on our walk. Low and behold it cleared up and we were in the Lobby and they were not....we chalked it up to our own loss - but still left a bad tast in my mouth...do not offer if you are not willing to provide. They got to walk away with $106 US for myself and my husband. Needless to say I would say ultimately of the 3 places I visited in Costa Rica this was the worst and Monteverde the nicest...This place is the epitome of a tourist TRAP.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL THE SPLENDOR AND ADVENTURE OF LA FORTUNA JUST IN ONE PLACE!Welcome to an experience full of adventure and nature in Costa Rica...Just by the foot of the Arenal Volcano stands Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa, a hotel inspired by its great natural environment, surrounded by 35 hectares of tropical forest on our private reserve.In balance with nature develop a site of rest and fun that makes you feel in a new world.With our All-Inclusive Package in La Fortuna, you can enjoy aholiday full of sustainable adventure and cultural experience.Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa has received the Fordor's Choice Award for several consecutive years, distinguished by Fodor's Travel as the best of hotels in the region of La Fortuna de San Carlos.PURE ADVENTURE IN OUR GO ADVENTURE PARK. Experience the best and exclusive eco adventure tours, feel the extreme nature of tropical forests and the powerful energy of the Arenal Volcano! A BREATH FOR TOUR SOUL... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Montana De Fuego Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Montana De Fuego Hotel And Spa
- Montana De Fuego Resort
- Hotel Montana De Fuego Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park