“Luxury close to Arenal National Park” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa

You added Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Arenal Volcano National Park | 8 km west from La Fortuna downtown. On the way to the National Park., La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 824417, Costa Rica   |
Glen Ellen, California
“Luxury close to Arenal National Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in late October 2012 for one night. We stayed in one of the Jr. Jacuzzi Suites. The front desk staff were very friendly when we arrived and we were escorted to our room. The room was in a duplex building with beautiful gardens in the front and back. I had hoped we would have a better view of the volcano from our room that we did. We could see it from the front windows, but it wasn't like you could sit comfortably in the room and enjoy a volcano view. But other than that the room was really nice. I think other rooms on the property probably had more direct views than we did so I recommend you ask about the view from your specific room if that is important to you.

The room was very spacious and had very nice furnishings and decorations. My one complaint in the room was that the mattress was not very comfortable. For such a big beautifully dressed bed, I expected a better mattress.

The jacuzzi tub was nice and they had nice touches like incense and candles to use. We enjoyed a short walk to the swimming pool and hot springs pools and had a nice soak in the evening. The breakfast in the morning was very good and the view of the volcano from the dining room is spectacular. We could see the steam rising from vents near the top of the mountain.

We didn't have time to take advantage of the spa services but it looked very nice and the staff we met there were very friendly. This hotel is very close to the national park entrance. A 5-10 minute drive. We really enjoyed hiking the trails there. It is an easy 10-minute drive into town from the hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend you ask about the view of the volcano from your specific room if that is important to yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just left this hotel yesterday and were there for four nights. The dinner on the first night was really good, but the "free" breakfast was just okay. On the first morning everthing was cold, however, over the next few days they did a better job. We stayed in a room near the lake and really enjoyed the view of the volcano for the one day that it was not foggy, but he room was dirty and we will definately try another place if we decide to return. My girlfriend and I got a couples massage which was nice, but I would not recommend the hot tub inside the spa. I am not sure that it has been cleaned in a LONG time. The canopy tour behind the hotel was great.

Pahoa, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived at the beautiful location at the foothills of the Arenal Volcano and were greeted by friendly staff. When we checked in to our room we were surprised that there were two double beds and not a king as we requested. Also, there was mold growing on one wall of the bathroom from an obvious roof leak. We went to the front desk to report these findings and they were professional- offering to transfer us into an upgraded suite. We were pleased with the suite though it also had areas of mold from water damage and some of the furniture was scuffed and worn. The bathroom had a large jacuzzi tub but there was a large hole that had been poorly covered in one corner of it. Aside from the maintenance issues the rooms were very clean. The wi-fi was only strong near the front desk and sporadic in the room. The grounds were beautifully adorned with tropical plants and flowers. The guest services were very friendly and accommodating, the second day when the housekeeper made up our room she folded towels into a lovely heart shape with flowers decorating it on our bed. The restaurant staff were friendly, informative and the menu was creative. We had the Churasco special one evening and the chef prepared it in front of us with a fun dimming of the lights for the final flambe! The hotel was nicely situated at the base of the volcano in between the town of Fortuna and the Arenal National Park.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had a wonderful time. The room we had was huge and very nice. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Alex was a great guide on the Arenal Volcano Tour and Cristian and Ramon were excellent zip line guides. Loved the ziplining and rappelling. Hot springs were very relaxing and breakfast was very good. Would highly recommend!

Room Tip: junior suite was good for our stay
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The whole place had a really weird vibe. We had a HUGE suite - a bedroom, a separate living room area and a huge bathroom. But the place was cold but muggy and it just felt off for some reason. The hotel was really empty even though all of the other hotels were packed (it was high season). There was never anyone working at the pool bar, the restaurant was empty every night and the reception staff was rude. The spa was OK, but freezing! I had goosebumps the whole time I was getting a mud wrap.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I love to try new stuffs. I have gone vacations in San Carlos for many years. I found a discount in this hotel, so I wanted to try. When I got there, the hotel looks old. It needs mantainess. The service on the front desk was bad after they noticed I had a discount. It was raining a lot, they didn't have umbrella and a person from the front desk guided me to park in front a wrong room. So I had to walk under the heave rain with my luggages to find the correct one.

When I entered my room, the aspect was unclean. I wanted to take a shower after the rain but the water was cold. I called to complain. One guy came after 15 minutes to fix it. But it didn't work. I called again and I wanted to change the room. You know what They said NO.

I will never go there again

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel for our Honeymoon on Oct. 22, 2012. Open checkin we were graciously greeted by Randall and Jeffrey. Both very charming and helpful. Room was clean and had the perfect view of Volcan Arenal. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant the first night. Food was Excellant but a bit pricey. Breakfast was above average. Second night an earthquake hit. Jeffrey made everyone feel at ease by checking on everyone. Overall the staff and hotel was perfect for our Honeymoon.

• Stayed October 2012
Arenal Manoa Hotel & Spa
#9 of 62 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 stars 1,173 reviews
Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa
Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Sp...
#36 of 62 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
3.5 of 5 stars 754 reviews
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
#35 of 62 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.0 of 5 stars 544 reviews

Been to Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!