This was the beginning point of 10 day stay in Costa Rica. We went with Jetset Vacations, and arrived in San Jose airport at 5pm local time. We got our rental car and hour later, and with the having set at 6pm or so, we had to drive the 3+ hours up and around narrow, mountainous terrain in complete darkness with FOG, so that we could not see beyond 20 feet in front of us! At exactly 10:20pm we arrived at Montana De Fuego. The fellow behind the desk was friendly and oblivious to what it takes to arrive at their destination after sunset. Such would be the experience we've had with Tico's, either naivety or indifference. We were checked in, given free wi-fi, and taken to our lodgings post-haste.
What a dwelling it was! You've never seen such a place. We were upgraded to a bungalow type place with a living room, bathroom and bedroom, all surrounding a place where you can make coffee, and microwave stuff. The layout was very strange, but the place was clean. The giant bath tub had no curtains, and inconsistent hot water. The bathroom sink had only cool water. But the bed although comfortable, did not have clean linens. Upon inspection the pillow and comforter looked like they were not changed. This was corrected the next day with fresh linens, and plenty of towels, but nothing could be done with the lack of shower curtains, or water issues. Our room faced the volcano and it was a beautiful sight to behold so early in the morning.
Overall the grounds are kept clean, they have a swimming pool and spa, but with hardly any tourists there, they got little use. We had the included breakfast of beans and rice, plantains, yuca, eggs, fruits and coffee while eye-balling out the glorious volcano in our midst.
We hardly did much at Montana de Fuego, and instead went zip lining with another hotel expedition at Los Lagos, and actually spent the day there because it was a larger and livelier resort. We also checked out Baldi Hot Springs for a day, which was just down the street and completely worth the $35USD charge. Montana de Fuego is just a short drive into town, and you can get some local food of more rice and beans, and yuca with filets of whatever, if you wish. Bar prices for beer and liquor is exactly the same as what you'd expect in North America.
The highlight of Montana de Fuego is that they give you the best coffee we had in Costa Rica FREE right in your room. "Cafe Rey Selecto Puro" in a blue and red bag is the best! Load up on that, and buy it in town for $8USD for 500g or something like that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL THE SPLENDOR AND ADVENTURE OF LA FORTUNA JUST IN ONE PLACE!Welcome to an experience full of adventure and nature in Costa Rica...Just by the foot of the Arenal Volcano stands Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa, a hotel inspired by its great natural environment, surrounded by 35 hectares of tropical forest on our private reserve.In balance with nature develop a site of rest and fun that makes you feel in a new world.With our All-Inclusive Package in La Fortuna, you can enjoy aholiday full of sustainable adventure and cultural experience.Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa has received the Fordor's Choice Award for several consecutive years, distinguished by Fodor's Travel as the best of hotels in the region of La Fortuna de San Carlos.PURE ADVENTURE IN OUR GO ADVENTURE PARK. Experience the best and exclusive eco adventure tours, feel the extreme nature of tropical forests and the powerful energy of the Arenal Volcano! A BREATH FOR TOUR SOUL... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Montana De Fuego Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Montana De Fuego Hotel And Spa
- Montana De Fuego Resort
- Hotel Montana De Fuego Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park